Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by lexdevil
Exactly. I seriously doubt that folks on FlyerTalk and obsessive travel blog readers are typical of Marriott Rewards members. Additionally, expecting customers to read material that is both outside of the T&C and not from Marriott seems unreasonable, to put it mildly.
That's all I was saying. Don't conflate knowledge with notice.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Willbur
SPG Lurker posting on an online forum is not the same as Marriott emailing all holders of travel packages and instructing them to take some type of action regarding their travel certificate. Pretending those are the same thing is just silly.
Who is pretending? If the head of Loyalty at Marriott is suggesting I should be attaching my certificate I think I would put some weight in that. Attached certificates will be honoured, the floaters are unique because the existing program is ending and they don't fit into the new program easily. Pretending your certificate should give you a better redemptive value in the new program is just silly.

From Onemileatatime: OMAAT July 25th

Asking a few important questions:

I had the chance to speak to David Flueck, the head of loyalty at Marriott, regarding this transition. While Marriott has answered a lot of questions, there are still some pressing questions that many of us have, given that the new program is just weeks away. Here’s my takeaway (these aren’t direct quotes):

Will members who redeem points for hotels prior to August 18 receive a points refund if the price drops?

No, and this matches what I was told in the past. If you book a hotel before August 18 that goes down in price you can cancel and rebook (assuming it’s outside the cancelation period), but points won’t automatically be refunded.

How will existing certificates issued for Marriott Travel Packages will be handled?

This is the million dollar question for those of us who are looking to maximize our points.

Frustratingly the answer to this is that they still don’t have any information to share about how existing certificates will be handled, other than encouraging members to redeem them before the program changes.

In this instance "THEY" is David Flueck, the head of loyalty at Marriott. While not "verbatim" and Lucky has paraphrased his conversation, I don't see that it would have benefited Lucky to "misconstrue" the dialogue especially when he, despite the numbers, continues to believe he too will be showered with generosity. Maybe David Flueck and the Lurker are one and the same.

Originally Posted by rny321

Who is “they” and where on Marriott’s website does it mention the value of an unattached certificate being 45K?
OMG Seriously???? Go back and read a few thousand posts. If that doesn't work, look at the value of your "floater" certificate! Still don't believe it? Cancel it! The Cat 1-5 floater certificate is a partial redemption with a value of 45K MR points. YES, you can redeem that certificate for a 7 night stay at a Cat 1-5. NO, it is not worth 150K MR. The debate here is not the value of the certificate, it is how they are going to shave off the corners of a square peg to make it fit into a round hole in the new program!

James
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by Points Poppa
That's all I was saying. Don't conflate knowledge with notice.
Similarly, believing that a company should and probably will replace the hotel portion of a package with a restricted certificate with a similar point value isn’t greedy or foolish. Should MPG announce publicly otherwise, I will act accordingly.
Counsellor likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lexdevil
Exactly. I seriously doubt that folks on FlyerTalk and obsessive travel blog readers are typical of Marriott Rewards members. Additionally, expecting customers to read material that is both outside of the T&C and not from Marriott seems unreasonable, to put it mildly.
You can still make redemptions under the existing Terms and Conditions of the current program. There is NOTHING in the current T&C's to deal with outstanding "floater" certificates in the event of a program "wind-down that I know of." Just realize that the T&C's of the existing program are moot after August 17th. The T&C's of the transition will determine what they choose to do, if anything, with the "floater" certificates during the transition. Once that decision is made and there is, in fact, a transition to the new program, the T&C's of the new program will be binding. I am sure Marriott will advise when they have finally determined what they are going to do. That may be before August 18th, but it could also be after August 18th. I don't see anywhere where it states that "floater" certificates can be redeemed in the new program as at August 18th. Maybe they will lay dormant and dealt with at a later time?

James
Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
What a SCC Judge would see is that you had an opportunity to attach your certificate to a reservation to maximize your redemption but you chose not to do that in hopes of a better redemption in the new program.
Have we been advised by Marriott directly? I don't remember getting any email to say this. Yes if they emailed me and said that I needed to use it by a certain date then the clock starts to tick but I have not been advised. I don't read blogs and will be carrying my 3 certs forward.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Putting aside Chicken Little's doomsday scenario, the cancellation of a cert involuntarily with the return of 45K pts base (+30K per Cat increase) just wreaks of a post purchase price increase. And short of Marriott emailing everyone in possession of a TP cert notifying them of the need to use ASAP I just don't see how a policy of the like could be justified strategically or legally.

But, we'll see soon enough (as I pick up the phone to order another TP).
Counsellor likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Just because it hasn't been posted yet I thought I would link to these two posts from a respected UK travel blogger (focused on Avios collection) who spoke directly to David Flueck:

Original article with some quotes that are above here around what will happen after August 17th:
https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...-reward-chart/

A more 'doomsday' scenario, from the people on this forum's perspective, where your travel packages are redeemed (but you get a 1:1 conversion from Marriott points to Avios which is very beneficial from a FFP perspective):
https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...age-arbitrage/
For the brave, potentially cheap airline miles via Marriott Travel Package arbitrage....What I WILL say is that there is evidence elsewhere that Marriott is planning to void unused Travel Package certificates. The Starwood official representative on Flyertalk stated it as a fact a few weeks ago, although he is clearly not ‘management’. Other US bloggers have been suggesting the same idea in a way which suggests they have inside information.....What David Flueck said to me yesterday – to be clear – is that they were still hoping to find a way of migrating existing Travel Package certificates but that the alternative (voiding them all and doing a refund) is a very real possibility....
This repeats the points made here from someone who has discussed it directly with Marriott, as much as it may not be a good result for many here.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by littlevoices
This repeats the points made here from someone who has discussed it directly with Marriott, as much as it may not be a good result for many here.
Whether it is a "good result" depends entirely on the rate of the refund. 45K points for a category 1-5 would be a poor result. 150K would be a good result.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.

OMG Seriously???? Go back and read a few thousand posts. If that doesn't work, look at the value of your "floater" certificate! Still don't believe it? Cancel it! The Cat 1-5 floater certificate is a partial redemption with a value of 45K MR points. YES, you can redeem that certificate for a 7 night stay at a Cat 1-5. NO, it is not worth 150K MR. The debate here is not the value of the certificate, it is how they are going to shave off the corners of a square peg to make it fit into a round hole in the new program!

James
None of those thousands of posts obligate Marriott and nowhere on Marriott’s website is there a reference to the value of unattached certificates being 45K.

Also, the 45K number is the amount a customer might receive if he voluntarily cancelled and should not be construed as the amount expected for an involuntary one. I might not expect much if I cancelled a flight segment but I would expect considerably more for IDB. Neither extreme is the scenario we are discussing.

I respect William’s opinions but posting them here is not the same as direct contact with affected customers. On the other hand, a blogger’s interpretation of what management told him or her may not legally count as informing anyone.

Last edited by rny321; Jul 29, 2018 at 6:12 am
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:19 pm

Indeed. And in fact my travel certificate explicitly states:
  • Rewards Certificate 7 Night Travel Package Category 1-5 Hotels - 270,000 Points

Expires 07/21/2019
cruisr likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by littlevoices
Just because it hasn't been posted yet I thought I would link to these two posts from a respected UK travel blogger (focused on Avios collection) who spoke directly to David Flueck:

Original article with some quotes that are above here around what will happen after August 17th:
https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...-reward-chart/

A more 'doomsday' scenario, from the people on this forum's perspective, where your travel packages are redeemed (but you get a 1:1 conversion from Marriott points to Avios which is very beneficial from a FFP perspective):
https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...age-arbitrage/

The blog doesn't argue a doomsday scenario at all. In fact his argument is that while it's likely the cert will be voided entirely the chances of getting points in actual value are also likely and what is entirely unlikely is being refunded only 45K for the base cert; in other words there is no Chicken Little scenario. The blog suggests, but won't guarantee, that there's an arbitrage potential outcome.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:08 pm

Personally I think way too many people are looking to far into this. If the customer service reps have very little to no knowledge of this program, how many certs (unattached) could possibly be out there? 10k 7 night certificates I would say would be ridiculously generous.

is it worth losing your 10k of their most loyal customers, or is it going to be make that 10k happy and chalk it up to cost of doing business.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:49 pm

I redeem 1 set of travel package for 5 night 3 month ago, but I forget which package do i use. I mean i has 2 set of 5 night package, and the last time I use it I forget to check which one they use. Do your guys know once the certificate attached to the reservation does it become inactive? I check with 4 different Rep 3 of them say I use the once expired in Feb, and the other rep say I use the once expired in Jan? so now I am not sure how to check this? I just don't want they use the same set of certificate then later charge me money since it already been use. Anyone of your guys in the same situation with me? thank you!
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by newdaybegin
I redeem 1 set of travel package for 5 night 3 month ago, but I forget which package do i use. I mean i has 2 set of 5 night package, and the last time I use it I forget to check which one they use. Do your guys know once the certificate attached to the reservation does it become inactive? I check with 4 different Rep 3 of them say I use the once expired in Feb, and the other rep say I use the once expired in Jan? so now I am not sure how to check this? I just don't want they use the same set of certificate then later charge me money since it already been use. Anyone of your guys in the same situation with me? thank you!
Search your email inbox. When you ordered your TP, a confirmation email should be sent from [email protected] with the title "New Reward Order Confirmation". The email should contain the expiration date and the last 4 digits of the certificate. Check this information against what has been attached and what is still in your account.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:15 am

Look at it this way. You redeem 270K for a TP. 225K is redeemed for Airline FF Miles and 45K is redeemed for a 7 night Cat 1 certificate.
James
I've been looking in the T&C and on the Marriott site for a breakdown similar to this, and I haven't found one. There is no itemization that I've seen so that the "buyer" knows that the portions of the package are priced in such a manner. Please show me where this information is available to the person redeeming the award when he redeems it.

What I see is that that 7 nights can be "purchased" separately by redeeming 210K points if the hotel is a Cat 7. Looks as though that's how they value those seven nights. So that part of the package could be said to be worth 210K points and the miles worth the balance. Please show me where the T&C say differently. It seems to me that what the "buyer" sees is the package is the package. If they don't itemize (which seems more likely) I would argue the certificate stands on its own and is worth 7 nights in the (hypothetical) Cat 7 property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.