Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by joesph
Hi there, this is unrelated question. I have Gold status via spg match and I have a reservation on August 17th for 5 nights. My status is due for a downgrade on the 18th for obvious reasons. Do I get lounge benefits if I get upgraded at check in?
You should.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:41 pm

I just got my Category 1-5 package, was on hold for about 30 minutes, but after that it took like 2 minutes. Was told the transfer to Alaska Airline would take 1-2 weeks at most. I also asked if the CSR knew what would happen to the unattached certificate after August 1. I am not sure if the CSR mis-heard me but he immediately said there would be no changes to the certificate and I would be able to use it for the equivalent categories. I have no idea if he meant it would become 1-4 or if he meant the new 1-5. I didn't want to push it because I was at work and just excited to have finally completed the transaction. Even if he meant that I would be assigned to the new Category 1-4, I still have 60K marriott points, should I upgrade up to a Category 6 or Category 7 certificate? I would get a Category 6 to see if I get some extra value by being bumped into the new Category 5, and I guess Category 7 just in case they really did mean they would give me the new Category 7.

The properties I am targeting are all new Category 1-4, so even if the Category 7 goes back to new Category 5, I can always drop down and pick back up my 60K points, is that correct?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
....I interpret that to mean it isn't a universal cancellation of certificates, either at 150k or 45k points. They're testing a solution that involves the certificates remaining certificates, but don't have it ready yet. If they just wanted to kill all the certs and refund points (whether miserly or generously), I could probably write that code myself in a few hours...
Yeah, it sounds like the refund option (amount TBD) is the "last choice" option. BUT since they admit they haven't worked things out yet, the odds of the "last choice" have gone up significantly.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by tth6133
You should.
thank you. My understanding is that if you are Gold elite before August 18th, you are entitled to have access to the executive lounge, right? I’m booking at a hotel and arriving on the 17th. They normally upgrade Gold to executive floor. On the 18th or maybe 19th since the hotel I overseas, I will be Gold in the New program. I’m hoping I will be upgraded before arrival.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:24 pm

Hmmmm.. I just tried to book a Cat 6 hotel room and and asked them to upgrade my 7 Night Cat 1-5 cert and apply to the new reservation.

I received 2 email saying my reservation was booked.
1 email saying my Cat 1-5 was cancelled.

When I looked on my reservation, I see room total summary of 75k points. My current points haven't changed.

I don't know if they cancelled my Cat 1-5 and it gave 105k points and applied that + 75k points for 180k total for my new reservation. Should I call them up and ask them about it? It should be only 30k points to bump from Cat 1-5 to Cat 6, not 75k points.

Edit: I checked the app and I was 30k less points and shows a cert tied to my reservation. The Marriott site must be buggy still. The hotel I booked is actually dropping in category after the change but paying 30k points just in case.

Thought about it again. Its probably Cat 1-5 is worth 45k + 30k for upgrade = 75k. Never booked with cert so I didn't know what shows up on the reservation.

Last edited by jdang; Jul 25, 2018 at 5:34 pm Reason: More Info
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by joesph

thank you. My understanding is that if you are Gold elite before August 18th, you are entitled to have access to the executive lounge, right? I’m booking at a hotel and arriving on the 17th. They normally upgrade Gold to executive floor. On the 18th or maybe 19th since the hotel I overseas, I will be Gold in the New program. I’m hoping I will be upgraded before arrival.
Your elite benefits should be based on your status at check-in. You should be entitled to lounge access, and breakfast in the restaurant depending on the hotel.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG lifetime platinum
You should also receive a refund of the 45,000 points they assign as the value of the CAT 1-5 certificate you canceled so the next cost is 30,000. It takes a few hours for their system to update things. So I wouldn't rely on the balance or activity reports until later in the day.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by jdang
Hmmmm.. I just tried to book a Cat 6 hotel room and and asked them to upgrade my 7 Night Cat 1-5 cert and apply to the new reservation.

I received 2 email saying my reservation was booked.
1 email saying my Cat 1-5 was cancelled.

When I looked on my reservation, I see room total summary of 75k points. My current points haven't changed.

I don't know if they cancelled my Cat 1-5 and it gave 105k points and applied that + 75k points for 180k total for my new reservation. Should I call them up and ask them about it? It should be only 30k points to bump from Cat 1-5 to Cat 6, not 75k points.
This seems to be correct. 75K is the "value" attached to a cat-6 certificate and is the number of points you'll receive should you cancel and ask for a refund for the certificate itself.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
AA miles should take about 2 business days. 1 - 2 weeks is the cautious estimate.
dwbf11 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I was just on hold with the Gold line for 30 (!) minutes to get an agent. After giving her all the info for the point transfer we were told that the Marriott web site is broken and she can't complete our request. When I asked for an ETA I was told there was none and we would have to call back every night for the next couple of days hoping someone would fix it.
Frankly, this is a joke. I then politely asked to be transferred to a supervisor at which point the agent became belligerent and hung up on us.
Wow, that's how far the Gold Elite line at Marriott has gone done. We'll see if we get that transferred and a travel package booked. Marriott has become such a joke and Marriott Concierge has been quiet on all these issues ... probably going the route of UA Insider ... away ...
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
I was just on hold with the Gold line for 30 (!) minutes to get an agent. After giving her all the info for the point transfer we were told that the Marriott web site is broken and she can't complete our request. When I asked for an ETA I was told there was none and we would have to call back every night for the next couple of days hoping someone would fix it.
Frankly, this is a joke. I then politely asked to be transferred to a supervisor at which point the agent became belligerent and hung up on us.
Wow, that's how far the Gold Elite line at Marriott has gone done. We'll see if we get that transferred and a travel package booked. Marriott has become such a joke and Marriott Concierge has been quiet on all these issues ... probably going the route of UA Insider ... away ...
There is no Gold line any more, in fact there is no Plat line any more.
And that is since at least a whole month ago. You are sadly way behind the current state of Marriott Reward.

Agents are all over the place - home based - I got one in late May when I signed up for Plat Challenge.
SLC if you are lucky - I got one after 3 30 to 45 min calls and disconnected on 2 of them, finally connected to SLC.
Mexico City - I got one last week but he knew his stuff and the miles showed up in my Aeroplan yesterday as they should.
London, Canada - I got one on Sunday and she had no clue on what she was doing as my AS miles that should be expedited, are still a no show in my AS account despite AS usually posted on Wed.
There are some definitely based in a more than 12 hours difference zone as I had one agent greeted me Good Evening when it was before noon EST.
So there you go. 30 min hold is not unusual if using the North America toll free number.
International numbers seem to fare far better.
Call Asia number after 9pm EST you get a human immediately.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:24 pm

I know Lurker (and even others) have encouraged attaching the certificate before the 18th of August to maximize the value, but if you're like me where you have a Cat 1-5 certificates and you're without a specific redemption in mind (actually have two), it seems like it may be better to hold out and wait. There are several hotels that will change in the 1-4 category range plus the addition of the SPG catalog. I would have to think no matter what happens that anyone with a current 1-5 certificate will at least be able to use it at cats 1-4 next month. Waiting it out for me seems like a better proposition. I'm not holding out for some huge max value situation either. Just seems like it's the better option without redemptions in mind.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:27 pm

I have bookings at 3 places that are dropping from 30-25K and 40-35K, 2 for 7 days and 1 for 5 days. Whether I get new Cat 4, new Cat 5, or a points refund I am covered.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Do we now have till August 17 to order a travel package under the old values?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by holocker
Do we now have till August 17 to order a travel package under the old values?
I think July 31 is the last day before the new price kick in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.