Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select Packages - Deals from the Topic drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Judge: Did MR make you whole by refunding you the amount of miles spent on the package minus the number of airlines miles?
You: Yes
Judge: Case dismissed. NEXT!
Thank you Judge Judy but this isn't my first time at the rodeo.

I've taken on Air Canada, Aeroplan and TAP Air Portugal in small claims court and I'm 3-0
Counsellor likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kalboz
I'd convert these to SPG and then on to SQ - 485K SQ miles can get you two RT tickets in Biz or better anywhere SQ flies.

Forget about AS or UA where the availability is really miserable and hotel rooms can always be had at a discount.
Star Alliance availability with UA miles is actually pretty good, compared to most other programs. Not my favorite airline in the world, but availability in and of itself isn't usually the issue for me. I've found it quite a bit better than AA when it comes to redeeming multiple seats together, long-haul across the alliance, without unnecessary garbage fees.

If you're solely talking quality and are specifically after SQ F, then native SQ miles are probably better.

AS is a mixed bag. There are some sweet spots in the program, and some areas of very poor availability. There's a lot of bang for your buck there if you have tons of flexibility, but converting to AS in hopes of a specific award on a specific date might leave you disappointed.
cruisr likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kalboz
I am still not convinced we're getting maxed point refunds (Dan's scenario 2), though I will say that Lurker's continued hold to "equivalent points" plus Marriott's timeline is making me more hopeful.

Honestly, as much as I like having 3 7-day stays sometime next year, having half a million Marriott points would make me much happier.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:24 pm

I want to order a TP, but am getting put on infinite hold. That's after finding out the hard way not to let Marriott's inane system route me to a reservations associate. I blew an hour last night, then gave up and have currently been on hold for 15 minutes with no end in sight. Is there a better number to call than 1-800-450-4442?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by dhacker
I want to order a TP, but am getting put on infinite hold. That's after finding out the hard way not to let Marriott's inane system route me to a reservations associate. I blew an hour last night, then gave up and have currently been on hold for 15 minutes with no end in sight. Is there a better number to call than 1-800-450-4442?
try the marriott vacations number. 1-866-814-6901
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:28 pm

Will do. I'm a MVC owner (inherited), and want to order a 5-nighter anyway, so that makes sense!
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:35 pm

Seems I'm in the same queue. Except this time I don't know if I'm headed to reservations or MR. This is very frustrating.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:52 pm

Tried the Gold number, same queue and still not certain I've been routed to MR not reservations. Reservations voice recognition bot refuses any requests like Agent or Customer Support, then eventually relents and send you to the queue to die. Saying Book Travel Package gets you reservations, and they won't/can't help.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
I am still not convinced we're getting maxed point refunds (Dan's scenario 2), though I will say that Lurker's continued hold to "equivalent points" plus Marriott's timeline is making me more hopeful.

Honestly, as much as I like having 3 7-day stays sometime next year, having half a million Marriott points would make me much happier.
I still very much believe you will end up with three 7-day certificates.

Maxed point refunds would be crazy-generous on Marriott's part.
Forced forfeiture at the "penalty" rate (45k) would be a world-class d*ck move beyond almost anything we've ever seen a loyalty program do. I trust Marriott enough to rule this out.
That leaves a category conversion, which seems reasonable given that the TP's *do* fall into the category of "certificates with a pre-defined category".

The details that remain are what to do when there isn't an identical "new" category level (e.g., old Category 6) and what to do with expiration dates and post-Aug 1 cancellations of certs that were attached on August 1. These are areas where members might get a *little* one-time bonus (in value or expiration date) to save Marriott some coding.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
I would be surprised if very many of the people who bought travel packages know that the liquidation value of a 7-night category 1-5 hotel certificate is 45K? I have never seen any mention of that amount anyway on Marriott's website even after searching terms and conditions. I only found out about it after a MR rep cancelled one when all she needed to do was change the dates of an existing reservation. I would imagine there would be a lot of very surprised and upset customers if MPG decided to force a low points liquidation on unattached or changed partial hotel travel packages.

It's hard to believe that there is a large group of people who both obtained at least 270K MR points and couldn't find more value staying in a Marriott hotel than getting 45K back for a Cat 5 package. Since Marriott freely allows category changes and routinely extends certificates for at least one year, I doubt that there are a lot of people who would accept 45K,assuming that they even knew the option existed, rather than stay in a Marriott hotel for up to one week.

As I stated before, I am not saying the combined company couldn't do so. I just believe that a large scale devaluation with little or no formal notice would be a disaster from a customer relations point of view. I understand that there is a lot of online speculation, but that does not substitute for direct communication from MPG.
Counsellor likes this.

Last edited by rny321; Jul 25, 2018 at 1:09 pm
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by AdeAhmed
hi all, looking for some advice.

I have a ton of AMEX points - 390k, which currently would convert to 195k starwood points (Amex Canada)

Combined with existing starwood poiints, i ahve enough MRP for about 3 top tier or close to top tier travel packages. I ahve one that I need to use on a current category 8 booking for stay in August.

I'm in Canada, so am typically used to using aeroplan for airline stuff. However, I see UA and AA often being used as well.

I'm wondering if i should send all to aeroplan, or diversify to the others? Any advice is appreciated!
one of the things that i want to do is an aeroplan min rtw at the end of 2019, so in retrospect, i think that i will leave my amex as is

half my holdings are in SPG/MR so i think thats where i will focus my travel package usage
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by dhacker
Tried the Gold number, same queue and still not certain I've been routed to MR not reservations. Reservations voice recognition bot refuses any requests like Agent or Customer Support, then eventually relents and send you to the queue to die. Saying Book Travel Package gets you reservations, and they won't/can't help.
Did you try the method in post 4110 of this thread?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by zachary
Did you try the method in post 4110 of this thread?
Yes, currently. It does get you past the idiotic computer quickly, but it apparently drops you into the same queue. I'm at 12 minutes and counting now.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:17 pm

Has Marriott issued any kind of public statement about the current phone support situation? Or are they taking the time-honored approach of not acknowledging that a major systemic problem exists at all?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:19 pm

different question:

if i have ALL the points for a travel package in my account, but want to transfer them to my wife so that we redeem the package under her account and can enjoy her status, is that possible?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.