Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I agree with @UpgradeMe.

This has little to do with Marriott Rewards and everything to do with your own priorities. Some would suggest doubling down on the airlines you understand. Others would suggest trying out a new airline alliance to maximise your odds of finding reward space.

That said, you should never, ever, convert a hotel or credit card point into Delta Skypesos, unless you really like burning $$$.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
$20 is miles expediting fee. There seem to be reports of this being charged despite the customer not actually asking for it.
Nope , never authorized it. when I called about another problem , I asked why there was a pending charge of $20 on my credit card. CSR said she can't see the charge
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:41 am

$20 is miles expediting fee. There seem to be reports of this being charged despite the customer not actually asking for it.
The expediting fee is $15, at least it was last week.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by metoo
Nope , never authorized it. when I called about another problem , I asked why there was a pending charge of $20 on my credit card. CSR said she can't see the charge
Why did the Marriott CSR ask for your credit card number in the first place?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold
I'll be redeeming a Cat 8 cert but do you folks think I should attach it to some arbitrary 7 night stay or leave it as a floater. I dont know yet where I want to use the cert and would like to keep it as floater but from my reading here it could be a disadvantage as opposed to attaching it to a reservation now and cancelling it and reusing it elsewhere.
Thoughts?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:18 am

Just redeemed travel packages

First, just wanted to say that your guys' knowledge is so amazing and I've learned so much from you all. Thank you very much. Secondly, just wanted to give you my experience. My husband and I are MVC owners and occasionally, we traded our week for MR points and when we do that, the points deposited into my husband's MR account. Today, I called MVC and told them that I wanted to redeem 2 5-night travel packages, category #7 with UA mileage. I asked her if the mileages can be deposited to my UA account and not my husband's. She said yes so I gave her my UA account #. I asked her if I can expedite by paying the processing fee. She put me on hold for about 3' to check. She came back to tell me that they don't do expediting with UA miles. I asked her if I can have a confirmation in case if I don't see mileage posted to my UA account. She told me that if that's the case, I need to take it up with UA since she doesn't have anything to help me at her end. She told me that the miles should be posted within 3 business days. The whole transaction took me about 15'. Again, thank you all for your posts.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by tth6133
Why did the Marriott CSR ask for your credit card number in the first place?
CSR never asked for my credit number. That is why it is so strange to even have a pending charge.

The credit card, however, is saved on my account so CSR probably pulled the number without asking.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:44 am

Hi, trying to read through this thread but it's too long. Why are people calling into book rather than using online method? And why is everyone attaching their certificates to a hotel so quickly? What's the benefit in that compared to leaving it unattached? Thanks.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I agree with @UpgradeMe.

This has little to do with Marriott Rewards and everything to do with your own priorities. Some would suggest doubling down on the airlines you understand. Others would suggest trying out a new airline alliance to maximise your odds of finding reward space.

That said, you should never, ever, convert a hotel or credit card point into Delta Skypesos, unless you really like burning $$$.
The weird thing is that I've actually had decent luck finding 7,000 - 12,000 miles DL redemptions these days. I have no DL status so this is *really* a last-resort kind of thing for me, but it seems like this program may have actually gotten a little better?? Usually mundane 1.5 cpm type awards...just replacing cash on a trip I have to take...but a decent way to burn the slow trickle of DL miles I actually earn. I realize I'm completely at the opposite end of the spectrum from the top Medallion members who are earning enough to chase the best long-haul F awards. I'm guessing, from the reaction to DL on these boards, that these are very hard to get.

I've moved Marriott Travel Packages to AA, UA, WN, and AS over the years. The TPs were a huge lift to AA LT Gold and numerous WN CP's. With both of those "bonuses" gone, I've found that AS is a nice program for the TP miles.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Trang
First, just wanted to say that your guys' knowledge is so amazing and I've learned so much from you all. Thank you very much. Secondly, just wanted to give you my experience. My husband and I are MVC owners and occasionally, we traded our week for MR points and when we do that, the points deposited into my husband's MR account. Today, I called MVC and told them that I wanted to redeem 2 5-night travel packages, category #7 with UA mileage. I asked her if the mileages can be deposited to my UA account and not my husband's. She said yes so I gave her my UA account #. I asked her if I can expedite by paying the processing fee. She put me on hold for about 3' to check. She came back to tell me that they don't do expediting with UA miles. I asked her if I can have a confirmation in case if I don't see mileage posted to my UA account. She told me that if that's the case, I need to take it up with UA since she doesn't have anything to help me at her end. She told me that the miles should be posted within 3 business days. The whole transaction took me about 15'. Again, thank you all for your posts.
UA miles normally take only 1 business day (sometimes even less) to show up in your account.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: Southwest
Originally Posted by Willbur
Since you said Ritz 1-4 I'm assuming you mean the ones from the credit card. At least Marriott has made those clear. You'll get a certificate worth up to 60,000 for each night. So basically you can book any SPG/Marriott hotel in August at the conversion.
They haven't made those clear. The conversion to a 60k cert is just an assumption at this point.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Nudetypist
Hi, trying to read through this thread but it's too long. Why are people calling into book rather than using online method? And why is everyone attaching their certificates to a hotel so quickly? What's the benefit in that compared to leaving it unattached? Thanks.
They call in to get the travel package because there's no "on-line" way to get the travel package -- you have to call in to order it.

The benefit to attaching the certificate to a reservation is that Marriott/Starwood have said if it is attached and the reservation is not changed, it will be honored even after the new chart comes into effect. No one really knows what will actually be the result if you leave it unattached.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Can anyone confirm the correct phone number in North America to call? I called the number given on the Marriott Rewards website (1-800-321-7396) and the CSR first said his system was down, and then told me it HAD to be booked on the website. I told him it COULDN'T be booked on the website.

He had me on hold for ages, then told me it had to be booked on vacationsbymarriott.com. I told him it couldn't be booked there either. He gave me another number to call 1-866-814-6901, which seems to be the Vacations by Marriott website. I'm pretty sure this is the wrong number, but I'm currently on hold with them.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Toronto1970
Can anyone confirm the correct phone number in North America to call? I called the number given on the Marriott Rewards website (1-800-321-7396) and the CSR first said his system was down, and then told me it HAD to be booked on the website. I told him it COULDN'T be booked on the website.

He had me on hold for ages, then told me it had to be booked on vacationsbymarriott.com. I told him it couldn't be booked there either. He gave me another number to call 1-866-814-6901, which seems to be the Vacations by Marriott website. I'm pretty sure this is the wrong number, but I'm currently on hold with them.
HUCA
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by Toronto1970

HUCA. Call 800-321-7396. When prompted by the voice recognition system, mention points balance. If someone tries to transfer you to Vacations by Marriott, ask for someone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.