Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
It has been suggested by a blog to use the International Call Centers during this trial period.
The problem though, the international numbers seem to be toll-free within the region. There is no regular numbers listed that one can call from outside the region.
Yes there is actual numbers to call, rather than standard toll free number. In fact, the Australian number is not even toll free.

https://www.marriott.com/help/reward...mer-support.mi

Call Us

United States/Canada
1 801 468 4000 (8:15am - 9:00pm, Monday - Friday, US Eastern time)
1 800 450 4442 (toll-free, 24 hours/7 days per week)
Please note: the toll free number is an automated line.

Asia/Pacific
60 3 2688 8080 (from Kuala Lumpur and Asia Pacific)
61 2 8298 5250 (from Australia)
8 a.m. - 8 p.m., Monday - Friday (Malaysia/Singapore local time)
8 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., Saturday
(Malaysia/Singapore local time)
Closed Sunday

China
400 830 0250 (from Mainland China)
800 962 962 (from Hong Kong)
9:00am – 6:00pm, Monday – Friday (local time)

Europe/Middle East/United Kingdom/
South Africa

44 20 7012 7312
0699 508 6492 (from Germany)
+971 4 449 0841 (from UAE)
0-21-4276486 (from South Africa)
8:00am - 6:00pm, Monday - Friday (GMT)
9:00am - 5:30pm, Saturday (GMT)
10:30am - 7:00pm, Sunday (GMT)

Japan
81 3 5405 1513
9:00am - 6:00pm, Monday - Friday (local time)

Latin America/Mexico:
52 55 110 221 21
55 11 3069 2507 (from Brasil)
8:00am - 8:00pm, Monday - Friday (local time)
9:00am - 2:00pm, Saturday (local time)
Closed Sunday
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:41 am

Does it cost to downgrade a travel certificate from Cat 6 to Cat 1-5? How long will it take for this to happen? what should the code be? The original is 7 night travel package with 120k to Alaska air

Also, I will need 135k or 105k (if I can downgrade a package from Cat 6 to Cat 1-5) for a 7 night travel package cat 1-5. Is it worth it to transfer MR or Ultimate points to Marriott?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by metoo
Does it cost to downgrade a travel certificate from Cat 6 to Cat 1-5? How long will it take for this to happen? what should the code be? The original is 7 night travel package with 120k to Alaska air

Also, I will need 135k or 105k (if I can downgrade a package from Cat 6 to Cat 1-5) for a 7 night travel package cat 1-5. Is it worth it to transfer MR or Ultimate points to Marriott?
Not sure what exactly you're asking... Currently, cat 1-5 TP costs 270K points and cat 6 costs 300K. If you already have the cat 6 TP, you can downgrade it and get back the difference between the two TPs (i.e. 30K).

It's generally not a good idea to transfer either AmEx or Chase points to Marriott, as you'll lose more than half of the value in the transfer, unless, of course, you're only a few points short for a redemption.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:32 am

[QUOTE=tth6133;30007361]Not sure what exactly you're asking... Currently, cat 1-5 TP costs 270K points and cat 6 costs 300K. If you already have the cat 6 TP, you can downgrade it and get back the difference between the two TPs (i.e. 30K).

On July 22, 2018 ,I paid 300k for the 7 nights Travel certificate Cat 6. If I downgrade to Cat 1-5, will I receive my 30k immediately in my account? Will there be any complication to the Alaska Air 120k ordered by Marriott if I downgrade?

Is there a $20 /any charge for downgrading?

Can a CSR screw this up ?

I just had a problem solved by a CSR who messed up two days ago and finally got it solved
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:39 am

Called 1-800-321-7396, said "check my balance" (as noted earlier in this thread, thank you!) and was connected to a CSR right away.
Cat 1-5 + 132k UA miles redeemed effortlessly within 5 mins this morning.

Now, this wasn't a speculative arbitrage redemption - I had plans confirmed for a 6 night stay that I wanted to attach this cert to, but surprisingly he said that I had to wait 24-48 hours to attach the 7N cert to the reservation. Didn't want to push it - will probably just call back later to get it sorted.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Just to be clear...there is still no redeeming for a 5 night stay unless one has timeshare ownership, correct?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Just to be clear...there is still no redeeming for a 5 night stay unless one has timeshare ownership, correct?
Depends on who you get on the line. There might be a lot of new folks being trained on the job and the system does not forbid it. Know someone who called in and was offered it - he said that the agent just read him the list of options they had including the 5N ones. Easiest to probably tell the agent the rewards code of the package you want to redeem.

With the reports of the 5N redemption being audited, and accounts being locked; it's not worth the risk IMO.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:54 am

On July 22, 2018 ,I paid 300k for the 7 nights Travel certificate Cat 6. If I downgrade to Cat 1-5, will I receive my 30k immediately in my account? Will there be any complication to the Alaska Air 120k ordered by Marriott if I downgrade?

Is there a $20 /any charge for downgrading?

Can a CSR screw this up ?

I just had a problem solved by a CSR who messed up two days ago and finally got it solved
You should get back 30K immediately and there shouldn't be any charges, at least that's used to be the case. Can a CSR screw this up? Yes, definitely in the current environment. Make sure you talk to a knowledgeable CSR. Otherwise, HUCA.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:36 am

Marriott Rewards Package --before August changes

I'm sitting on about a million Marriott Rewards points and think I should order a couple hotel/air packages before the upcoming changes in August. I know I don't have to specify the hotel up front but "do" have to specify the airline in which the points are deposited. My current points are in AA and Delta. Looking for suggestions as to what airline I should put the points into. At this time, I think AA is my best option due to the high amount of Delta points needed for award tickets. Your thoughts please? TY
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by dibel
I'm sitting on about a million Marriott Rewards points and think I should order a couple hotel/air packages before the upcoming changes in August. I know I don't have to specify the hotel up front but "do" have to specify the airline in which the points are deposited. My current points are in AA and Delta. Looking for suggestions as to what airline I should put the points into. At this time, I think AA is my best option due to the high amount of Delta points needed for award tickets. Your thoughts please? TY
A: Similar questions have been asked multiple times over the past few weeks.

B: Without knowing where you reside and where you intend to travel with your points, it is impossible to answer this question.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:54 am

Called to upgrade my certificate from 1-5 to a 9, and attach it to my reservation. Waited a half hour, and then a rep yelled at me because she thought I was a Marriott employee(?) She finally transferred me to a different desk. That rep sounded like he knew what he was doing, but in addition to cancelling the old package to get the points back and make a fresh certificate, he cancelled my standalone one night, category 1-5 certificate. I'm afraid to call back to have them fix it. If the rep doesn't understand, they could mess up my travel package, which actually was done correctly.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by senyah
Called 1-800-321-7396, said "check my balance" (as noted earlier in this thread, thank you!) and was connected to a CSR right away.
Cat 1-5 + 132k UA miles redeemed effortlessly within 5 mins this morning.

Now, this wasn't a speculative arbitrage redemption - I had plans confirmed for a 6 night stay that I wanted to attach this cert to, but surprisingly he said that I had to wait 24-48 hours to attach the 7N cert to the reservation. Didn't want to push it - will probably just call back later to get it sorted.
I have always been able to make the reservation immediately (when i chose to do that) as soon as CSR deducted the points.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by tth6133
You should get back 30K immediately and there shouldn't be any charges, at least that's used to be the case. Can a CSR screw this up? Yes, definitely in the current environment. Make sure you talk to a knowledgeable CSR. Otherwise, HUCA.
Good, cause July 22nd , there was a mess up . I am still seeing a pending charge of $20 from Marriot Rewards. What can this be for?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:16 am

Good, cause July 22nd , there was a mess up . I am still seeing a pending charge of $20 from Marriot Rewards. What can this be for?
I'm not sure. Did you ask to expedite points transfer to your mileage program?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
$20 is miles expediting fee. There seem to be reports of this being charged despite the customer not actually asking for it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.