Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:26 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Greg has a new blog post titled "What will happen to existing Marriott Travel Package certificates?" analyzing gain/loss value with the change in categories: https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...-certificates/

From Frequent Miler
Counsellor likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:34 am

[QUOTE=cruisr;30003902]
OMG...the Marriott CSRs are awful. I had an unattached 1-5 cert in my account. I called to order another and then attach both to hotels. The CSR took out points for two certs instead of one and when i clarified to her i only wanted one cert (as I already had one) she apologized and said she woild cancel the order. Well, she did cancel the order for the second 270k (which she shoild not have done) and instead of voiding the whole transaction she simply cancelled it and refunded only 45k. I am on hold now trying to get this resolved.

Good luck. Don't forget to ask for a case number

I called so many times yesterday and I was told it would be looked into. this morning when I called, the supervisor said there is NO record of anything being done about it so she opened a case number

Solved. Got my points back

Last edited by metoo; Jul 24, 2018 at 5:45 am
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by cruisr
OMG...the Marriott CSRs are awful. I had an unattached 1-5 cert in my account. I called to order another and then attach both to hotels. The CSR took out points for two certs instead of one and when i clarified to her i only wanted one cert (as I already had one) she apologized and said she woild cancel the order. Well, she did cancel the order for the second 270k (which she shoild not have done) and instead of voiding the whole transaction she simply cancelled it and refunded only 45k. I am on hold now trying to get this resolved.
I called to change the date on a reservation with a travel package attached. The agent cancelled the partial hotel package and then used points for a new reservation. It took several calls to get the hotel package reinstated and a $20 cancellation fee refunded.

Last edited by rny321; Jul 23, 2018 at 10:09 am
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:49 am

You need to know exactly what to do when calling Marriott and what happens each step along the way. Don't assume the agent knows more about it than you do. A lot of things can go wrong this last week before the programs merge. Time is not on your side to correct any mistakes, either by you and the agent.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by tth6133
You need to know exactly what to do when calling Marriott and what happens each step along the way. Don't assume the agent knows more about it than you do. A lot of things can go wrong this last week before the programs merge. Time is not on your side to correct any mistakes, either by you and the agent.
Some mistakes don't become apparent until later. I know some of the codes for partial travel packages and I am aware of the correct way to change one, but that doesn't mean that what I request always happens. Although I was logged into my accounts while changes were being made, I didn't realize that an agent cancelled a hotel award and booked a new points reservation instead of just adjusting the reservation dates until much later when Marriott updated the transactions.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Well, my problem got solved much quicker than I thought it would. Luckily the CSR I got connected to was great. Long time CSR and knew the ropes and knew who to contact. Got all the points back in the account for the 270k package the res agent from last night should not have taken out and another 10k customer appreciation added.

Its only going to get worse as we get closer to 8/1.

Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
My guess is that TP certs attached to reservations would be converted to same category certs post merger with the exception of cat. 9 & Ritz ones, which would be converted to cat. 8. Any outstanding floaters would be converted to points then deposit back to member's accounts using old Marriott award chart, e.g. 150k for cat. 1-5, 180k for cat. 6.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by rdchen
My guess is that TP certs attached to reservations would be converted to same category certs post merger with the exception of cat. 9 & Ritz ones, which would be converted to cat. 8. Any outstanding floaters would be converted to points then deposit back to member's accounts using old Marriott award chart, e.g. 150k for cat. 1-5, 180k for cat. 6.
And to continue the guessing game: what do you think will happen if you detatch a resevation and the certificate once again becomes a floater?

Seriously, we are all just guessing.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I ordered 3 TP certificates at different categories (1-5, 6 and 8). As my 3 TP certs all expire in summer 2019 and we're not sure if Marriott will still be willing to freely extend certificate expiration dates, I also kept a stash of unredeemed Marriott points that I can use after summer 2019.

Hedge your bets everyone, for the marmotts are being nothing but cowardly

Last edited by MasterGeek; Jul 23, 2018 at 12:19 pm
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:29 pm

Sorry if asked before - what happens to unused Ritz certificates cat 1-4 if unattached?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
Sorry if asked before - what happens to unused Ritz certificates cat 1-4 if unattached?
The Trillion Dollar Question and not only with Ritz Tier 1-5 certificates
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by metoo
Did you expedite the Alaska Air miles?

If so , what is the time frame to receive it?

If you didn't expedite it, how long should it take?
No I did not expedite Alaska Miles. I don't have an immediate need for it. My last 2 packages I got the AS Miles in about 4 days and that was no expedition.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I am not sure if it is a regional thing but when I called the Australian Marriott Rewards phone number, it goes to the South East Asia call centre (Singapore/Malaysia). They know exactly what they were doing to issue the packages very quickly, as well as attachment of certificates. Also there were minimum waiting time for the calls to be picked up.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
Since you said Ritz 1-4 I'm assuming you mean the ones from the credit card. At least Marriott has made those clear. You'll get a certificate worth up to 60,000 for each night. So basically you can book any SPG/Marriott hotel in August at the conversion.

Starting in August, any outstanding Certificates will be updated from Category-based to points-based values in the new combined redemption chart and may be used for stays at Rewards or SPG hotels up to the points value displayed on your updated Certificate.
https://members.marriott.com/faq/#i-...a-after-august
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
I am not sure if it is a regional thing but when I called the Australian Marriott Rewards phone number, it goes to the South East Asia call centre (Singapore/Malaysia). They know exactly what they were doing to issue the packages very quickly, as well as attachment of certificates. Also there were minimum waiting time for the calls to be picked up.
It has been suggested by a blog to use the International Call Centers during this trial period.
The problem though, the international numbers seem to be toll-free within the region. There is no regular numbers listed that one can call from outside the region.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.