Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
I went ahead and cashed in 570k points for 2 Category 1-5 packages with 264k UA miles
Attached the certificates to a hotel I will probably not stay in.

Now I can just sit back and watch all the fun.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by upsidedown
I am trying to read through this thread and am currently sitting on 380k MR points. I don't have a specific destination in mind but it seems like I should get a certificate now before rates go up. I would probably go for AA points. Is there a recommended approach or advice that I should use? It looks like I could go for the Cert 1-5 with 120k AA miles for 270k. What happens if I want to upgrade to a better hotel later. Or should I go for the highest value cert I can afford with miles. Either way, I need to act quickly.
You may not be able to upgrade your certificate or the cost of upgrades may be significantly higher post August. There're 4 main scenarios (plus their variations):

Scenario 1 - Certificates are converted to points. In this scenario, the certificate is cancelled and you can use points to book any hotel, but the cost differential (in terms of the number of points) is significantly higher between categories post August.

Scenario 2 - Certificates are converted to points-based certificates. Marriott may or may not allow upgrades/downgrades in this scenario. Even if they allow upgrades, the cost differential will again be significantly higher.

Scenario 3 - Certificates are converted to new category-based certificates. In this scenario, upgrades are likely allowed, but they would be based the new TP chart (meaning higher cost).

Scenario 4 - Marriott grants an extension for the redemption of the current certificates for a fixed amount of time. Upgrades/downgrades are likely not allowed in this scenario.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I have just redeemed a AS 120K 7 night Cat-6 package, with the Cat-6 certificate unattached. Now I am just going to wait to see what will happen with this unattached certificate post August merger.

I have redeemed packages earlier but with 2 Cat-8 already attached to Marriott Maui and Waikiki Resorts which will become new Cat-6 post merger. I am hoping that once they are attached to hotels which become higher categories, those certificated will become new Cat-6 certs and would allow us to unattach them and reattach to new Cat-6 hotels. Not sure how likely that will happen though.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
I have just redeemed a AS 120K 7 night Cat-6 package, with the Cat-6 certificate unattached. Now I am just going to wait to see what will happen with this unattached certificate post August merger.

I have redeemed packages earlier but with 2 Cat-8 already attached to Marriott Maui and Waikiki Resorts which will become new Cat-6 post merger. I am hoping that once they are attached to hotels which become higher categories, those certificated will become new Cat-6 certs and would allow us to unattach them and reattach to new Cat-6 hotels. Not sure how likely that will happen though.
Possible but unlikely, unless current cat-8 certs are converted to the new cat-6 certs.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Shangri-la Gold, Taj Gold, Krisflyer Gold, BA Gold
Need help

Basic question.

So I have 240k points in my account and 30k MR points in a friend's account. MR to MR points transfer doesn't seem to be working (not sure if they are intentionally blocking it)

The rep said that if I am sure which hotel I want to book, then points can be combined.

So say I get the 120k alaska package with 1-5 cat and I make a Reservation at a cat 5 property. Once I do this and cancel the Reservation, will I get points in my account or a certificate?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by jiteshjerome
Basic question.

So I have 240k points in my account and 30k MR points in a friend's account. MR to MR points transfer doesn't seem to be working (not sure if they are intentionally blocking it)

The rep said that if I am sure which hotel I want to book, then points can be combined.

So say I get the 120k alaska package with 1-5 cat and I make a Reservation at a cat 5 property. Once I do this and cancel the Reservation, will I get points in my account or a certificate?
If you cancel the reservation before August, you'll just get the certificate back in your account. However, if you also cancel the certificate itself, you'll get back 45K points in your account.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by upsidedown
I am trying to read through this thread and am currently sitting on 380k MR points. I don't have a specific destination in mind but it seems like I should get a certificate now before rates go up. I would probably go for AA points. Is there a recommended approach or advice that I should use? It looks like I could go for the Cert 1-5 with 120k AA miles for 270k. What happens if I want to upgrade to a better hotel later. Or should I go for the highest value cert I can afford with miles. Either way, I need to act quickly.
Post merger it'll cost you 60k per category upgrade (assuming upgrading new and/or legacy certs will be possible). Currently upgrading costs 30k. If you are more likely to use the cert at a higher category hotel, or if you want to take the "certs to points" gamble, it may be best to redeem for a higher category. However, no one knows how the old category certificates will map into the newer categories, so there's a chance you miss out.

Another point to consider is whether it may be worth saving some points to redeem at the Cat 7 hotels temporarily at 60k until Dec 31st. If you commit all your pts into a cert and they convert into a new cert post-merger, you'll be tied into that category.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by kamchatsky

Did you expedite the Alaska Air miles?

If so , what is the time frame to receive it?

If you didn't expedite it, how long should it take?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:57 am

Long story and spent 5 calls with incompetent CSR to get back points.

Anyways, I never asked for it but I have a pending charge from Marriot Rewards for $20. Perhaps it is for expediting the Alaska certificate that was order yesterday. If so, when should I receive it?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by metoo
Did you expedite the Alaska Air miles?

If so , what is the time frame to receive it?

If you didn't expedite it, how long should it take?
The AS miles of one of my TPs did not post. After 10 days the MR agent reprocessed and expedited it but still not post. Are they having problem with AS miles?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by jrey

The AS miles of one of my TPs did not post. After 10 days the MR agent reprocessed and expedited it but still not post. Are they having problem with AS miles?
Sorry don't know. I am still trying to get back my 250k points for the 5 night package I did not order. The first CSR I spoke to just order it. When I asked confirmation of package, it wasn't the 7 nights so she ordered the 7 nights but deducted points for BOTH 7 and 5 night packages.

I was told this morning by a supervisor that she needs to call Alaska to cancel the air miles for the 5 nights package b4 I get my 250k points. I sure the heck hope that this doesn't affect the Alaska air miles for my 7 night package. Can anyone confirm that Alaska Air shouldn't be mixing up my air miles for the 5 nights and 7 nights package?

What a total headache!!

Amazing ...just checked my Marriot app account and it is showing I had an award stay for 11 nights at an airport hotel and I checked out today. And it wasn't even my booking nor my stay. Gosh....I can't wait till I redeem all my Marriott points once I get back my 250k points .

Last edited by metoo; Jul 23, 2018 at 8:28 am
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:51 am

What is the phone number to call to solve the Marriott rewards problem?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by metoo
Sorry don't know. I am still trying to get back my 250k points for the 5 night package I did not order. The first CSR I spoke to just order it. When I asked confirmation of package, it wasn't the 7 nights so she ordered the 7 nights but deducted points for BOTH 7 and 5 night packages.

I was told this morning by a supervisor that she needs to call Alaska to cancel the air miles for the 5 nights package b4 I get my 250k points. I sure the heck hope that this doesn't affect the Alaska air miles for my 7 night package. Can anyone confirm that Alaska Air shouldn't be mixing up my air miles for the 5 nights and 7 nights package?

What a total headache!!

Amazing ...just checked my Marriot app account and it is showing I had an award stay for 11 nights at an airport hotel and I checked out today. And it wasn't even my booking nor my stay. Gosh....I can't wait till I redeem all my Marriott points once I get back my 250k points .
There is a very simply solution. It should be able to be handled the same way as a category change. Marriott needs to cancel the 5-night hotel partial package and rebook a 7-night hotel partial package. There are special codes which IIRC are P610 for a 5-night Cat 7 partial package P910 for a 7-night Cat 7 partial package. Someone should be able to locate the codes that are applicable to your packages. Trying to cancel the entire package is making the transaction much more difficult than necessary.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by rny321
There is a very simply solution. It should be able to be handled the same way as a category change. Marriott needs to cancel the 5-night hotel partial package and rebook a 7-night hotel partial package. There are special codes which IIRC are P610 for a 5-night Cat 7 partial package P910 for a 7-night Cat 7 partial package. Someone should be able to locate the codes that are applicable to your packages. Trying to cancel the entire package is making the transaction much more difficult than necessary.
Unfortunately that is not what the incompetent CSR did.
Now I am on the phone with another case number for the 11 nights award stay in Pittsburg and checking out today. I never stayed there. But I am getting megabonus for the stay and I am telling CSR they are not my megabonus for July 23, 2018
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
OMG...the Marriott CSRs are awful. I had an unattached 1-5 cert in my account. I called to order another and then attach both to hotels. The CSR took out points for two certs instead of one and when i clarified to her i only wanted one cert (as I already had one) she apologized and said she woild cancel the order. Well, she did cancel the order for the second 270k (which she shoild not have done) and instead of voiding the whole transaction she simply cancelled it and refunded only 45k. I am on hold now trying to get this resolved.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.