Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:51 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Frequent Miler has a post on navigating the phone tree to get to a rep who knows Travel Packages.

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...ravel-package/
Followed his instructions today, and it took 25-minutes and then I was disconnected Received the following email

Reward Details

• Description: 5 Night Partial Package Category 1-5 Hotels
  • Reward code: P510
  • Valid through: Monday, July 22, 2019
  • Total points redeemed: 30,000
  • Confirmed on: Sunday, July 22, 2018
Partial redemption as I didn't have the chance to give the rep my AS number for miles. Tweeted to Marriott Rewards to no answer - called back and after 48 minutes they told me that they could not do it. The 5-night package is for time-share owners! I have done it before I tried to reason but to no avail. Total time wasted on this Sunday playing games with Marriott is 75 minutes!
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:00 pm

Can TP used to book Marriott vacation clubs like this Category 8:

Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club

Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo
Can TP used to book Marriott vacation clubs like this Category 8:

Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club

Yes, if the dates are available to book with points.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Followed his instructions today, and it took 25-minutes and then I was disconnected Received the following email

Reward Details

• Description: 5 Night Partial Package Category 1-5 Hotels
  • Reward code: P510
  • Valid through: Monday, July 22, 2019
  • Total points redeemed: 30,000
  • Confirmed on: Sunday, July 22, 2018
Partial redemption as I didn't have the chance to give the rep my AS number for miles. Tweeted to Marriott Rewards to no answer - called back and after 48 minutes they told me that they could not do it. The 5-night package is for time-share owners! I have done it before I tried to reason but to no avail. Total time wasted on this Sunday playing games with Marriott is 75 minutes!
I'm new to Marriott but from what I've read on TUG, the 5-night package is only for timeshare owners. Is that not correct?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by metoo
I am wondering if I should really attach the 7 night category 6 Courtyard HK certificate for a stay later this year. It is Category 6 right now but after the change, it will be Category 4.

The CSR I spoke with actually booked me for a 5 night travel certificate for Cat 6 for 250k (120k to Alaska Airlines)
I told her I wanted the 7 night travel package for Cat 6 (300k) She cancelled the 5 night travel certificate but still deducted the 250k plus the 300k for the 7 night package. I am now in the negative for my account.

I called CSR back to explain the situation and CSR said it will take 7 to 10 business day to receive the 250k back.

Had I known the problem, I would have just kept the 5 nights, Cat 6, 120k Alaska air package for 250k

How many days should it take for the miles to transfer to Alaska Air?
AS miles take 7-10 days to show up in your account. If an agent sounded unfamiliar with TPs (and there're MANY of them right now), my advice is to thank him/her, hang up and try again. With potentially only a few days left and Marriott's system being unreliable, any errors are difficult to correct in a timely manner.
osotoc likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:20 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by controller1
I'm new to Marriott but from what I've read on TUG, the 5-night package is only for timeshare owners. Is that not correct?
Yes you are correct... only for timeshare owners..
controller1 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Correct. A few years ago Marriott allowed others to book 5-night packages but it is no longer allowed. I am not saying that it doesn't ever happen, it's just that it isn't supposed to.
controller1 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by t1c
Yes you are correct... only for timeshare owners..
Originally Posted by rny321
Correct. A few years ago Marriott allowed others to book 5-night packages but it is no longer allowed. I am not saying that it doesn't ever happen, it's just that it isn't supposed to.
Thanks. Trying to learn the new ropes!
rny321 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:24 pm

Yes, but some agents would sell those packages. We used to consider ourselves lucky to get one of these packages, but right now you don't want to touch it even if offered, if you're not a Marriott timeshare owner. There's too much risk.
controller1 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:25 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Thanks. Trying to learn the new ropes!
Your in the right place... Read & ask a lot of questions.
controller1 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
https://thepointsguy.com/2016/02/mar...ight-packages/

Apparently these five-night packages were once on the Marriott Rewards website but were removed and are only supposed to be for Marriott Vacation club owners. Both agents I spoke with noted no restrictions for being able to redeem for these packages.

I specifically asked each agent, “Do I need to be a timeshare owner or have a certain level of Marriott Rewards status to book a five-night package?” Both agents replied no and were happy to allow me to redeem my points. I called the Australia Marriott Rewards office for the second agent to see if they would provide the same info — also because an agent usually picks up immediately when you call this number (+61 2 8298 5250).

You may redeem points for five nights plus air miles at the following rates to earn Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Copa Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Frontier Airlines, GOL/Varig, Hawaiian Airlines, Iberia Airlines, Southwest or Virgin Atlantic miles:
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, MR Plat, UA Silver
For a DP:

Called sometime this past week using the number provided on the TP page. Just kept saying “agent” (I think you can say “associate” too), took about 3 times to get past the automation. Live CSR picked up about 2 min after automation.

Friendly CSR picks up, says they’re from the Elite Desk. Knew how to handle TPs and when I inquired about a 5 night they said I didn’t qualify as a non MVC. Asked what package I wanted, asked for my AS number, got a confirmation email. Whole call from dial to hang up took < 15 min, would’ve taken less than 10 if I didn’t ask them about what might happen post- 8/1 for TPs.

They did mention that existing TPs will be able to be redeemed at current MR categories until the end of the year, though that would be logistically difficult with the SPG portfolio coming in and the new (tentative) categories having been released already.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Apparently these five-night packages were once on the Marriott Rewards website but were removed and are only supposed to be for Marriott Vacation club owners. Both agents I spoke with noted no restrictions for being able to redeem for these packages.

I specifically asked each agent, “Do I need to be a timeshare owner or have a certain level of Marriott Rewards status to book a five-night package?” Both agents replied no and were happy to allow me to redeem my points.

. . .
So it seems to be an IT issue in that IT did not restrict an agent's ability to book a five-day travel package whether an MR member is a MVC owner or not. However, from your post you are aware that these five-day packages should only be for a Marriott Vacation Club owner. So, aren't you taking a risk that the travel package could be cancelled?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:17 pm

So it seems to be an IT issue in that IT did not restrict an agent's ability to book a five-day travel package whether an MR member is a MVC owner or not. However, from your post you are aware that these five-day packages should only be for a Marriott Vacation Club owner. So, aren't you taking a risk that the travel package could be cancelled?
No, I have booked them in the past without any issues.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:36 pm

I am trying to read through this thread and am currently sitting on 380k MR points. I don't have a specific destination in mind but it seems like I should get a certificate now before rates go up. I would probably go for AA points. Is there a recommended approach or advice that I should use? It looks like I could go for the Cert 1-5 with 120k AA miles for 270k. What happens if I want to upgrade to a better hotel later. Or should I go for the highest value cert I can afford with miles. Either way, I need to act quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.