Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by adapada
Is there any consensus on how long it takes for the points balance to be adjusted after receiving the certificate? I redeemed for a certificate a little while ago but my points balance has not been adjusted.
it got adjusted immediately before your receiving of your airline miles.
adapada likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:43 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Where to go from here?

Which travel package?

Which airline?

Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:08 pm

DP alaska miles posted in 5 days.

down to my last one, not sure if its worth it to purchase a cat 6 or cat 7, or just another 5.

Alaska seems to be the best value by far considering other transfer partners and you can now get 2x AA at grocery.

tick tock.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by moops380
DP alaska miles posted in 5 days.

down to my last one, not sure if its worth it to purchase a cat 6 or cat 7, or just another 5.

Alaska seems to be the best value by far considering other transfer partners and you can now get 2x AA at grocery.

tick tock.
What makes you think it's better than AA?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Counsellor
Not to pick on James, since I've seen that idea ("Marriott can change the rules anytime they want at their sole discretion - they aren't obligated to give you anything") posted a number of times during these discussions, both in this thread and elsewhere, but I'm not so sure that's actually correct.

The theory seems based on two grounds, first, that they supposedly reserved that right in the terms and conditions of the program, and second, that airline frequent flyer programs say something similar in their programs and seem to have gotten away with it.
Thank you for an excellent post.

Let's deal with the second argument first -- that the airlines seem to have prevailed in court when they make changes to their program that adversely affect the members. Yes, they do (but so far as I know they've never tried to void an award ticket by changing the rules after it was issued);
From my own experience, I have had a devaluation in a FF Program affect an existing "redeemed" award. In 2016 AS devalued Emirates awards significantly, without notice. I had booked two F awards at 100K each; North America to Europe. Subsequent to the changes I wanted to change the departure city. Same dates, different origin. AS was happy to do that for me if I paid an additional 80K miles per award. While my award was not voided, it was, without notice, bound by the "new" rules! I am deemed to have accepted those terms and conditions by joining Mileage Plan and I had no recourse.

With respect to Marriott Travel Packages, they are comprised of two components. The FF Miles and the 7 Night Hotel Stay certificate that can be redeemed for 7 nights at a Category 1-5 property. The FF Miles are already redeemed. Nobody is arguing that they didn't get their FF Miles. Under the existing T&C's, "attached" Hotel certificates are "redeemed" and we know with certainty that they will be honoured in the "New" Program. Unattached or "floater" certificates are NOT fully redeemed. As such, voiding them or exchanging them for their residual value is in no way voiding or changing a hotel redemption. I certainly follow your logic that the certificate in itself is a redemption so should have some intrinsic value. On that basis, at a minimum, the residual value of 45K (already established and known) should be the value. However, since the current MR program is ending the value of the certificate is moot. There is no guarantee that it will be transferred or converted for use in the New Program. How Marriott ultimately chooses to deal with the "floater" non-redeemed certificates when the current Marriott Rewards Program wraps up in a few weeks falls entirely within their discretion.

If I purchase a coupon book and one of the coupons allows me to dine at a certain establishment for 50% off and the establishment ceases operations, do I have a claim?

What is fair or unfair is, of course, dependent on the circumstances and no firm rule can generally be applied, but I would think that once the certificate is "paid for" and issued Consumer Protection agencies might well take the position that you can't change the "deliverable" applicable to those certificates to the detriment of the consumer who "purchased" the certificate irrespective of any boilerplate provision in the T&C. (Disclaimer: This is not meant as legal advice.)
It would also be easy to argue that the Member could have and should have exercised the certificate and made a redemption. That "deliverable" is available now! A consumer protection agency isn't going to support someone who "neglected" to take the "deliverable" now when it is available to him in hopes of a getting a better "deliverable" later especially when the "entity" though which the travel package was "purchased" and the "deliverable" is available, will cease to exist come August.

So, anyway, I'm thinking that Marriott, being a consumer-friendly company anyway, does not intend to adversely change the essential deliverable on certificates already issued. But if they do, I'm sure their lawyers have considered the impact of trying to justify that to the numerous state Consumer Protection agencies having jurisdiction over their hotels.
Ultimately, I think you are right. Marriott will try to find a balance between minimizing their costs and keeping their customers happy. Although, I would think Marriott would be less concerned about a Member who has multiple "floating" certificates and a handful of combined stays than they would an Elite with many stays and one "floating" certificate. The purpose of my recent posts is to argue that the "value" of a certificate in current MR Points, should a member choose not to "redeem," is NOT 150K. It is not fear mongering, it is looking at it realistically and without emotion. The New Program is "generally" devalued from the old Program so I am not sure why some continue to believe that the already "out-sized" value potential of the Travel Package should provide additional "out-sized" value post an August conversion. We do know that attached certificates will be honoured. We don't know the fate of the "floaters" It could be anything from ZERO to a comparable redemption in the New Program but highly unlikely it will be more than that.

When you wake up on August 1st, I think it is likely that you will still have a certificate in your new account but it will be highly restricted as to what you can do with it. I am sure Marriott is reading these threads to get a feel for what Members anticipate might happen or not happen. It could even have bearing on the final outcome so here are my thoughts. Here is yet another possible outcome.

On the conversion date:

All floater certificates will be converted to a 150K Point Certificate ie New Category 1-4
All New floater certificates must be attached within 3 months. No exceptions!
Expiry date will be 12 months from Conversion date. No extensions!
If you have an upgraded Certificate the upgrade points are refunded and your certificate is converted to a 150K Point Certificate.
Once attached, they cannot be detached other than to attach to another reservation or cancel. ie no floaters, all attached/cancelled after 3 months.
Cancelled certificates have a 45K residual value
If not attached within 3 months, cancelled at 45K residual value.
Upgrades and downgrades as per New Program.
New Cat 5 +60K, New Cat 6 +180K New Cat 7 +240K

Existing attached certificates can be handled in the same way. A date change would not trigger a conversion of the underling certificate but a change in the property would. This would ensure that all existing certificates attached or unattached will be through the system within 12 months. It would be an equitable way to allow for booking dates not currently available and to determine if you are better keeping your existing reservation or cancelling it in favor of a conversion.

In my case, it would be advantageous to convert my current attached Cat 8 certificate. I would get a New Cat 1-4 and 90K points. The New Category of the property is 5. An upgrade to a New Cat 5 would be +60K leaving me with a net 30K in my account. It would also allow me to book any other Cat 5 property, including former SPG properties.In other cases, it may be better to just leave the old certificate attached.

Just some of my thoughts,

James
SightseeMC likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jul 18, 2018 at 1:29 pm
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Emerald Club Executive, Hertz 5 Star
I am holding 2 7-night certificates (cat 1-5, unattached) and about 200k SPG points (or 600k Marriott points). .

After reading the last few pages of this thread, I'm back and forth on deciding what to do with these 2 7-night certificates. Should I attach them to 2 random reservation? Or upgrade them to higher cat certificates? Any advice is appreciated.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
What makes you think it's better than AA?
Citi gives out AA miles like candy. BoA no longer does this with Alaska. You can get 2x AA at grocery stores (on a no fee card). Alaska cards have no compelling 2x+. Of course if you have a specific AA redemption in mind that's great, I'm talking speculatively. 70k for first class jfk-hkg/-stopover-/ hkg-(jnb/cpt in J) is compelling. AA miles used to be alot better, but lately have been terrible, and for shorter oneworld flights there are always avios. As always, YMMV.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by BearSmart
I am holding 2 7-night certificates (cat 1-5, unattached) and about 200k SPG points (or 600k Marriott points). .

After reading the last few pages of this thread, I'm back and forth on deciding what to do with these 2 7-night certificates. Should I attach them to 2 random reservation? Or upgrade them to higher cat certificates? Any advice is appreciated.
While I have only just redeemed for a cat 6 cert, I think if you don't have a place in mind to use the certs then you're no better off attaching them to places you don't want to go. SPG Lurker has basically encouraged people to redeem their TP to effectively 'lock in' their reservations before the hotels they book change categories (assuming they move up). My guess is that most people looking to actually book something will have properties that will be moving up in price in the new program, not down.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
I used two seven night certificates for two rooms in Paris last week and paid a nightly upgrade fee for a family suite. Will I get rewards points on the upgrade fee?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
I am holding 2 7-night certificates (cat 1-5, unattached)
Me too. I can't really use them until late July-August 2019 (this summer is already booked, and my summer school schedule does not allow an earlier vacation). If the launch is delayed until mid-August I will upgrade and attach (as soon as the 50 week window opens). If the new program goes live on August 1, I'll be stuck with whatever they are giving for the legacy certificates. I think it was still worth it for the 264K United miles.

On a related note, I was on hold 15 minutes yesterday to make the transaction and my United miles posted today.
mclymerne likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:30 pm

DP: Bought a Cat 6 Package for AS at 1:54 PM EST today and my miles showed up in my AS account at 4:29PM EST (after expediting them for $15). I'm shocked that they posted so soon.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:11 pm

I don't think in your case you'll be treated differently whether you attach your certificate to a random reservation and cancel it post August or simply leave it floating. On the other hand, if you have a hotel and date in mind, and its price (in terms of MR points) will go up in August or your date may fall within the peak season next year, you'd be better off book it now (assuming it's bookable) to lock in the lower price.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:06 pm

I called the customer service 2x, the first time the rep told me there will be no change in the Marriott to United conversion.
the second rep told me they do not have any information at this time.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by tth6133
I don't think in your case you'll be treated differently whether you attach your certificate to a random reservation and cancel it post August or simply leave it floating. On the other hand, if you have a hotel and date in mind, and its price (in terms of MR points) will go up in August or your date may fall within the peak season next year, you'd be better off book it now (assuming it's bookable) to lock in the lower price.
What are the guesses as to when we will know when peak season is at a hotel. Apparently SPG has the info for their properties already.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Thank you for an excellent post.
On the conversion date:

All floater certificates will be converted to a 150K Point Certificate ie New Category 1-4
All New floater certificates must be attached within 3 months. No exceptions!
Expiry date will be 12 months from Conversion date. No extensions!
If you have an upgraded Certificate the upgrade points are refunded and your certificate is converted to a 150K Point Certificate.
Once attached, they cannot be detached other than to attach to another reservation or cancel. ie no floaters, all attached/cancelled after 3 months.
Cancelled certificates have a 45K residual value
If not attached within 3 months, cancelled at 45K residual value.
Upgrades and downgrades as per New Program.
New Cat 5 +60K, New Cat 6 +180K New Cat 7 +240K

Existing attached certificates can be handled in the same way. A date change would not trigger a conversion of the underling certificate but a change in the property would. This would ensure that all existing certificates attached or unattached will be through the system within 12 months. It would be an equitable way to allow for booking dates not currently available and to determine if you are better keeping your existing reservation or cancelling it in favor of a conversion.

In my case, it would be advantageous to convert my current attached Cat 8 certificate. I would get a New Cat 1-4 and 90K points. The New Category of the property is 5. An upgrade to a New Cat 5 would be +60K leaving me with a net 30K in my account. It would also allow me to book any other Cat 5 property, including former SPG properties.In other cases, it may be better to just leave the old certificate attached.

Just some of my thoughts,

James
I have been working through conversions in my head for the past week, and I came to the same conclusion, James. Trying to match current categories to future ones won't work: it's either far too costly to hotels or probably a PR nightmare if your Cat 9 is suddenly getting you a Fairfield in Des Moines. But the one category map that we already have is current Cat 5 to new Cat 4; refunding extra points and allowing buy-ups at the new rate makes perfect business sense.

Marriott keeps its word about "equivalent". Or close enough.
The program's new "use any cert + points" booking strategy remains intact.
The new values allow all certs to be consistent with any other type of award.
It saves millions in labor and IT costs trying to match all the old categories to new ones.

My earlier comments were that I expected new certs for old, as we've seen that with the 1-night Category 1-5s. This outcome would be essentially the same but smoother and easier to both digest and explain. And I think the screaming from customers would be pretty muted.

Last edited by SightseeMC; Jul 18, 2018 at 7:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.