Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select Packages - Deals from the Topic drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
While I would love to keep believing that Marriott won't screw us TP holders post merger, this quote from SPG Lurker is making me very uncertain:

"We are currently reviewing how to handle existing <snip> awards already in members' accounts and will have a definitive answer in the coming weeks. Members should make every effort to book and attach these certificates prior to our programs becoming one to to maximize their usage."

The fact that he's suggesting that these certificates be attached to a reservation prior to the merger in order to maximize their usage leads me to believe that the 45k point refund is quite a likely scenario.

That being said, 75k SPG for up to 132k airline miles is still not a bad deal for those who have a use for the airline miles.
Right. Lurker has mentioned this at least TWICE, and the last post with the wording of "attach" including in the same sentence about to "maximize value" leads me to believe the best way (or gamble) is to attach the certificate before Aug 1 for a booking that would be as far in the future as possible at a property you would most likely would use to begin with, preferably is a property that does not go down in category - i.e. current Cat 5 would be the new Cat 4.

My feeling is, Lurker is not in a position to give out any more specific information but he puts the emphasis where he hopes people would have a clue. Apparently many still opt not to take the hint. So be it. He has tried.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a somewhat related subject, when I called the Plat line today I notice the annoying robot lady no longer insisted to spill out the cheerful program change information to waste your time. Instead after just the short mentioning about you should visit the websites to find out more details, the robot then started asking what you need to do on this call - a much improvement despite it still took like 15 min before a human picked up the call.

I got a rep at a call center in Mexico City - now this is a new one. He knows the Travel Package though, even informed me I was only eligible for 7 nights cert, and that Aeroplan would take 7 to 10 business days to see the miles. So he is well-trained if Mexico City call center is new (at least for me - my last several calls were all US-based, including those made these past Sunday.)
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:49 am

Transfer Points to Airline now or later? Cons x Pros

Hello,
I would like to ask you for an opinion about transferring Marriott points to United Airline miles.
I have 112 000 points that would get me 50 000 UA miles if I convert now, so I am trying to figure out if there is any advantage to wait after 8/1/18 or do it now.
By my calculations, I would get 50 000 miles now, and only 37 333 miles if I wait till after 8/1/18, but perhaps I am missing something?
Generally, I keep accumulating the Marriott points and when I have enough to get the more favorable conversion ratio, I transfer them to UA miles (example: 56000points get me 25000UA miles).

Have been reading lots of info about the terms of the new loyalty programs and am still a bit unclear, so your wisdom is very appreciated:
With the new consolidated program starting August 1st, it seems that all Marriott points (even those earned prior 8/1/2018) will be using a conversion 3:1 (Marriott points : Airline miles).
1/ is there any indication that United airlines will again have a more favorable ratio than other airlines after 8/1/18?
2/ Can the Marriott points earned by 7/31/18 be still converted in the old conversion system even after 8/1/18 or do all points get pooled into 3:1 system?
Thank you for any input!

Last edited by Boleslav; Jul 17, 2018 at 12:07 pm
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:00 pm

While I would love to keep believing that Marriott won't screw us TP holders post merger, this quote from SPG Lurker is making me very uncertain:

"We are currently reviewing how to handle existing <snip> awards already in members' accounts and will have a definitive answer in the coming weeks. Members should make every effort to book and attach these certificates prior to our programs becoming one to to maximize their usage."

The fact that he's suggesting that these certificates be attached to a reservation prior to the merger in order to maximize their usage leads me to believe that the 45k point refund is quite a likely scenario.

That being said, 75k SPG for up to 132k airline miles is still not a bad deal for those who have a use for the airline miles.
This logic is faulty. Even if Marriott applies the most generous treatment to TP certificates on August 1, there will still be scenarios where attaching the certificates now will be better for some certificate holders. I interpret Lurker's comment to mean that there will be no downside to attaching the certificates. You can still cancel post August 1 and get the same treatment as the floaters if you wish. I don't know what will happen on August 1 to the floaters, but the probability of getting 45K refund on August 1 for a cat 1-5 certificate is very low.
michelin and MarkP24 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
What are the chances that if you attach a certificate now then cancel/unattach it later (after August), you will receive full points or equivalent certificate in the new system, because they won't be able to redeposit/re-issue the legacy certificates ? It would also renew the expiration date of the new certificate.

Any downside to this ?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by tth6133
This logic is faulty. Even if Marriott applies the most generous treatment to TP certificates on August 1, there will still be scenarios where attaching the certificates now will be better for some certificate holders. I interpret Lurker's comment to mean that there will be no downside to attaching the certificates. You can still cancel post August 1 and get the same treatment as the floaters if you wish. I don't know what will happen on August 1 to the floaters, but the probability of getting 45K refund on August 1 for a cat 1-5 certificate is very low.
This was very helpful. I had been trying to decide whether to attach my certificate requiring both an upgrade and date extension now, or wait until the dust settles. The reason for waiting was that I thought it might give me the flexibility to book a higher level SPG property. But you make a good point that I can probably cancel post August 1 and get the same deal, if it turns out to be an attractive one.

So just a data point for anyone considering this, I just called and got connected to a great rep within 2 minutes, who not only did the whole upgrade and extension, but also offered some advice about one of the cities we are planning on visiting. All in under 15 minutes.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

I think the SPG lurker is trying to tell everyone only redeem TPs if you have a real need of a 7 night cert, don't try to gamble to get something better after Aug. 1.
Happy likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
I think the SPG lurker is trying to tell everyone only redeem TPs if you have a real need of a 7 night cert, don't try to gamble to get something better after Aug. 1.
During the time of transition an official rep will not post anything outside clearly stated rules. Do not look for any kind of between the lines message.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by waterandwoods
Excellent idea, but my husband doesn't have an SPG account (I know, for shame!) and I think you have to have had one open for 30 days at same address to transfer SPG? correct me if I'm wrong on that.
I don't know why people don't get this (maybe cause the blogs don't put it correctly) but Marriott allows you to transfer to anyone. ANYONE. There also is no limit (there is a limit of 50,000, but if you are using it for a redemption and lacking then you can transfer for that purpose as well, to how much you lack).
So there is an obvious solution ...
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:15 pm

Marriott rewards not answering

Ive been trying to reach Marriott rewards for the past 75 minutes. The last 20 minutes it was ringing, and finally it went silent, then hung up on me. Any advice on getting through?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by tth6133
I interpret Lurker's comment to mean that there will be no downside to attaching the certificates. You can still cancel post August 1 and get the same treatment as the floaters if you wish.
We don't actually know what will happen to an attached certificate if you cancel reservation post Aug 1 though.
These may or may not be treated the same way as floaters on Aug 1.

What a thrill. Some many possible outcomes to gamble on.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:28 pm

We don't actually know what will happen to an attached certificate if you cancel reservation post Aug 1 though.
These may or may not be treated the same way as floaters on Aug 1.

What a thrill. Some many possible outcomes to gamble on.
I believe if you cancel your reservation the certificate is attached to post Aug 1, your detached certificate will be treated as if it were never attached (i.e. same as a floater). Yes, there're a number of possible outcomes for the floaters post Aug 1.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Elite Night Count

I just want to confirm that when redeeming the 7 night stay, these 7 nights count as 7 nights of elite credit just like an award stay even though they're a travel certificate and not a point redemption, correct?

Last edited by MarkP24; Jul 17, 2018 at 9:03 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by Boleslav
Hello,
I would like to ask you for an opinion about transferring Marriott points to United Airline miles.
I have 112 000 points that would get me 50 000 UA miles if I convert now, so I am trying to figure out if there is any advantage to wait after 8/1/18 or do it now.
By my calculations, I would get 50 000 miles now, and only 37 333 miles if I wait till after 8/1/18, but perhaps I am missing something?
Generally, I keep accumulating the Marriott points and when I have enough to get the more favorable conversion ratio, I transfer them to UA miles (example: 56000points get me 25000UA miles).

Have been reading lots of info about the terms of the new loyalty programs and am still a bit unclear, so your wisdom is very appreciated:
With the new consolidated program starting August 1st, it seems that all Marriott points (even those earned prior 8/1/2018) will be using a conversion 3:1 (Marriott points : Airline miles).
1/ is there any indication that United airlines will again have a more favorable ratio than other airlines after 8/1/18?
2/ Can the Marriott points earned by 7/31/18 be still converted in the old conversion system even after 8/1/18 or do all points get pooled into 3:1 system?
Thank you for any input!

1. No. That said, UA often does hotel point transfer promotions (usually around 25%, with a max of 25,000 miles) but there is no guarantee they will continue and no current offers.

2. No. All points will be treated the same way once the new program kicks in. Which may or may not be 8/1.

based on your logic (which I agree with) I would convert now.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by MarkP24
I just want to confirm that when redeeming the 7 night stay, these 7 nights count as 7 nights of elite credit juts like an award stay even though they're a travel certificate and not a point redemption, correct?
yes
MarkP24 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.