Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
A 7 night certificate = 45K (7.5K * 6)
A 5 night certificate = 30K (7.5K * 4)

Fifth Night Free

That is what your certificates are worth in MR points in the current MR Program. Not 150K/100K
I agree with you that Marriott can do whatever they want, but by your logic a 7-night Cat 6 certificate should indeed be worth 180k points.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by uibd
I had as of this morning 2 7-night certs ( Cat 9 and cat 6) attached to reservations. The Cat 9 was from a redemption from earlier this year and the cat 6 was fairly recently. I was able to cancel both reservations online and the certs returned to my account automatically. This is somewhat new as before cancelling online would just credit the small point value amount back to your account and then you could call in and have it converted back to a cert. Either way it is interesting. The Cat 9 says it has a value of 165k points. The cat 6 says it has a value of 300k points. The 165k points is the actual value if I just turn the cat 9 cert back into points. The 300k is what I paid for the entire cat 6 travel package. Not sure if it means anything but since I cancelled both bookings today I thought I would just share a data point.
I assume they show expiration dates of a year from now?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: Delta, Southwest, Hyatt
Like a lot of other people, I am hoping to cash in Marriott points on a travel package before the big change over in August. I've never done it before and I'd like to be as prepared as possible as I'm sure phone lines will be jammed very soon.

The points I need are spread across three accounts:
Me: 42,000 (actually currently 14,000 SPG points)
husband: 131,000 points
sister (different address): 110,000 (not yet posted)

What would be the most efficient way to combine these? I am seriously hoping you can still transfer more than 50,000 if making a specific redemption??? Hoping this is actually doable in the first place!! As am I the one who manages travel I'd prefer to retain ownership of all the points so I can make the bookings easier, but would help if I transferred my point to my husband's account in advance? Timing will be tight as my sister's points haven't posted yet, are there any delays in the process that I should know about in advance or is it simply call, transfer points and book the travel package in one fell swoop?

Thanks for bearing with my noob questions!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by waterandwoods
Like a lot of other people, I am hoping to cash in Marriott points on a travel package before the big change over in August. I've never done it before and I'd like to be as prepared as possible as I'm sure phone lines will be jammed very soon.

The points I need are spread across three accounts:
Me: 42,000 (actually currently 14,000 SPG points)
husband: 131,000 points
sister (different address): 110,000 (not yet posted)

What would be the most efficient way to combine these? I am seriously hoping you can still transfer more than 50,000 if making a specific redemption??? Hoping this is actually doable in the first place!! As am I the one who manages travel I'd prefer to retain ownership of all the points so I can make the bookings easier, but would help if I transferred my point to my husband's account in advance? Timing will be tight as my sister's points haven't posted yet, are there any delays in the process that I should know about in advance or is it simply call, transfer points and book the travel package in one fell swoop?

Thanks for bearing with my noob questions!
1. You transfer your SPG 14000 to your husband OR your husband transfers ALL his SPG to your account IF you want the airmiles and everything under your name
2. Your husband transfer all pt to Marriott and your sister transfer all pt to Marriott
3. Call Marriott to tell them you wanna redeem the travel package (from your husband and sister account) then you are set to go!

Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: Delta, Southwest, Hyatt
Originally Posted by musicscrip

1. You transfer your SPG 14000 to your husband OR your husband transfers ALL his SPG to your account IF you want the airmiles and everything under your name
2. Your husband transfer all pt to Marriott and your sister transfer all pt to Marriott
3. Call Marriott to tell them you wanna redeem the travel package (from your husband and sister account) then you are set to go!
Excellent idea, but my husband doesn't have an SPG account (I know, for shame!) and I think you have to have had one open for 30 days at same address to transfer SPG? correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by waterandwoods
Excellent idea, but my husband doesn't have an SPG account (I know, for shame!) and I think you have to have had one open for 30 days at same address to transfer SPG? correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Yes, must have the same address for at least 30 days.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AbelianGrape

I agree with you that Marriott can do whatever they want, but by your logic a 7-night Cat 6 certificate should indeed be worth 180k points.
No, a Category 6 is worth 75K! 45K residual plus 30K for the Category upgrade. Simple!

James
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Willbur
I assume they show expiration dates of a year from now?
My guess is that the cat-9 cert shows an extended expiration date a year from now but the cat-6 cert shows the original expiration date.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:51 am

No, a Category 6 is worth 75K! 45K residual plus 30K for the Category upgrade. Simple!

James
Yes, I know. My quibble is with your logic, not with your facts.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:58 am

James
That is a completely irrational point of view. Marriott is not going to turn a cert that can book, say, a current Cat 8 into a cert that would only be able to book a current Cat 4 after the transition.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by AbelianGrape

Yes, I know. My quibble is with your logic, not with your facts.
You can look at it this way too. You can use your MR points to redeem for just FF Miles. The current rate is 2.8 to 5 MR points per FF Mile. Why would you think they would be only 1 MR point per FF Mile if you redeemed for a travel package?

For 120K FF miles you would need 340,000 MR points for the redemption! Logically, in a travel package, it doesn't make sense to value the certificate at 150K MR points and the FF Miles at 120K MR points

I see a travel package as 245K MR points for 120K FF Miles (a 28% discount to FF Miles ONLY redemptions) and 45K MR points for a certificate for a 7 night stay at up to a Category 5.

Marriott may just leave the certificates intact with many restrictions but ultimately the surrender value is 45K.

James
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by OssianBlue

That is a completely irrational point of view. Marriott is not going to turn a cert that can book, say, a current Cat 8 into a cert that would only be able to book a current Cat 4 after the transition.
I believe it is called devaluation! Indeed it can book now. That opportunity is now. No guarantees next month. Besides, who said it would convert into a new certificate at all? A category 8 is worth 135K.

Again, you are confusing the value of the certificate in MR points to the potential redemptive value of the certificate in dollars. Just don't be upset if the potential redemptive value is not what you think it should be in the New Program. Who is being irrational? Facts don't support a windfall!

We know attached certificates will be honoured.

James
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:58 am

You mean, when I bought the certificate the guy who told me I could attach it as needed any time in the next year was lying to me? Unlikely.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:26 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I'm wondering if there are two different scenarios being discussed.

First, when the "merge" occurs, I'm guessing existing TP hotel certs will be converted to a new style, "max points-based" cert. For example, if someone has a Cat. 6, 7-night hotel cert, that cert will become a "max 30K per night" 7 night award or something similar to that. Second, if someone today wants to return the TP hotel cert for points, they will NOT get the points matching a 7 night Cat 6 hotel (i.e. 180K points.). From the discussion it looks like someone would get 75K points. Again, my guess is if someone after the "merge" wants to return their new "max 30K per night" 7 night award, they will probably only get 75K points deposited into their account. IOW, just like today, they can use the cert for up to 7 nights at a certain cat level of hotel or they can return the cert for a reduced points value.

But I would doubt that at the "merge" Marriott will liquidate all existing unlinked TP certs into that reduced points value and deposit the points into your account. If you want that today (or after the "merge") you have to ask for it.

Now when this happens, will Marriott extend the life of those TP certs out for a year (since it will essentially be a new cert) or will they transfer the existing end-date to the new certs? I can't answer that question, though I might guess the answer depends on how easy it is for their systems to grab that old expiration date and transfer it to the new cert. If it is very simple and easy, the new certs may well keep the old expirations. If it is a pain to deal with that, Marriott will probably just extend the expiration dates out.
Counsellor, SanDiego1K and khlay like this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:07 am

I believe it is called devaluation! Indeed it can book now. That opportunity is now. No guarantees next month. Besides, who said it would convert into a new certificate at all? A category 8 is worth 135K.

Again, you are confusing the value of the certificate in MR points to the potential redemptive value of the certificate in dollars. Just don't be upset if the potential redemptive value is not what you think it should be in the New Program. Who is being irrational? Facts don't support a windfall!

We know attached certificates will be honoured.

James
I really don't care about the value of MR points or certificate. I don't even care about the form of the conversion. They can do either points, restrict points, cat based cert or point based cert. I'm ok with anything as long as I can book a seven night stay in the hotels with similar quality.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.