Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by newdaybegin
So I just say to the rep i want to transfer to Air Canada then the point will be in Aeroplan? I just want to make sure before I go this because I don't looking to get Air Canada mile? thank you!
That is correct.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:50 pm

<deleted>
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped

On one hand, this is a pretty niche issue. It's not like there are millions of these certs out there. But...anyone who has one is somewhat by definition a somewhat high-value customer for Marriott going forward. So the incentive to treat people fairly should be there.
How is someone who opens 3 SPG Accounts at their address and buys 90,000 Starpoints at a 35% discount a "high-value" customer? TP's have always been touted as a Reward "sweet spot" with exceptional value. Perhaps the incentive from Marriott would be to "close the gap" and reduce their liability.

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!"

James
jiaogulan likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by tth6133
You have to call to get your certificate back. If you cancel your reservation online, you don't get the certificate back.
What would one get if cancelling online? Automatic 45K points refund?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
You have to call to get your certificate back. If you cancel your reservation online, you don't get the certificate back.
I cancelled a reservation with an attached Cat8 and got the certificate back in my account.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I cancelled a reservation with an attached Cat8 and got the certificate back in my account.
nexusCFX - Did you cancel online?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lax2010

nexusCFX - Did you cancel online?
Yes.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Suggest people to read this thread in Marriott Insider - basically someone has contacted Marriott multiple times, literally each month since April to speak to some managers, and eventually being direct to Mr. Marriott's Office, only to be told the standard answer "I dont have an answer for that." by the lady from Mr. Marriott's Office. And that is after the person from Mr. Marriott's Office failed to get back to the poster within the promised 3 business days, so the poster decided to reach out to her again after 1.5 weeks waiting for the call back that never comes.

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/thread/54993
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:52 pm
alc

Originally Posted by Happy
Suggest people to read this thread in Marriott Insider - basically someone has contacted Marriott multiple times, literally each month since April to speak to some managers, and eventually being direct to Mr. Marriott's Office, only to be told the standard answer "I dont have an answer for that." by the lady from Mr. Marriott's Office. And that is after the person from Mr. Marriott's Office failed to get back to the poster within the promised 3 business days, so the poster decided to reach out to her again after 1.5 weeks waiting for the call back that never comes.

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/thread/54993
it could be the fact I had been working very late night every single day this week (i.e. my brain might not be actually functioning right now ) .... as after reading this info, I actually think the end policy will actually be at our favourite and which is why they don't want to release it until on Aug 1st to avoid everyone rush to redeem those "sweet spot" certs at those certain category. I think they regert the 1 SPG to 3 Marriott instant transfer setup that they have now where many (way too many) members transfer 90K SPG for a Travel Package... hence they just trying to minimize their lost. As if I am not mistaking, the new TP info that we all know that has not been "officially" release yet, am I correct? It was just a leak, right.... anyway just my 2 cents, or just my wild guess
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alc
it could be the fact I had been working very late night every single day this week (i.e. my brain might not be actually functioning right now ) .... as after reading this info, I actually think the end policy will actually be at our favourite and which is why they don't want to release it until on Aug 1st to avoid everyone rush to redeem those "sweet spot" certs at those certain category. I think they regert the 1 SPG to 3 Marriott instant transfer setup that they have now where many (way too many) members transfer 90K SPG for a Travel Package... hence they just trying to minimize their lost. As if I am not mistaking, the new TP info that we all know that has not been "officially" release yet, am I correct? It was just a leak, right.... anyway just my 2 cents, or just my wild guess
Or more like the most wishful thinking hoping for the windfall.

Read it the other way, it could be the initial methods are too stingy and they are trying to find something that would be more palatable to members while not too costly to them.

The spg to marriott ratio definitely is generous and it has created lots of arbitration opp on award stays. To me, it is far more valuable than the miles, as it basically saves us 50 to 70% hotel costs over the past 18 months.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alc
How did you come to that conclusion? My interpretation is quite the opposite. From the conversation we know two things. 1) The date of implementation is Agust 1st, as she has been told! 2) "Attached" certificates will be honoured!

I think the fact that when asked what he should do with his certificate and the answer is "If you attach the certificate to a hotel reservation we'll honor that reservation even if the hotel category changes," speaks volumes.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jul 14, 2018 at 2:31 am
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: LH FTL
Maybe a newbie question, but I didn't find an answer to that yet :-/
Is the availability for 7 night certificate the same as normal point redemptions?
So If I find a date where I could spend 7 night on points, I could alternatively also use the voucher from the travel package?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:37 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Yes, a TP 7 night hotel cert is the same as any other hotel award cert in terms of hotel award availability.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
How did they inform you? Are you based in US?
Just got a email to say that my 5 night cert has been cancelled then got a email to say a new one had been issued for 7 nights. No explanation at all. Had to call and waste a hour before someone advised me what happened.

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Did they give you a full refund of the Marriott points redeemed, after they took away your 5-night certificate ?
Yeah but then they charged the extra 45k for the 7 night package.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Just got a email to say that my 5 night cert has been cancelled then got a email to say a new one had been issued for 7 nights. No explanation at all. Had to call and waste a hour before someone advised me what happened.

Yeah but then they charged the extra 45k for the 7 night package.
How could they deduct the extra points from your account without your consent?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.