Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
That one is easy to predict, it's some of the other ones where things get dicey.
And of course we have no idea when is the deadline to buy the current packages or if they will still allow upgrades after the current ones are discontinued.
I don't see why Marriott would prevent future upgrades. No real arbitrage opportunities there either way.

For higher categories that don't have a 1:1 conversion to a new category, my guess is that people will get a half-category one-time gift.

On one hand, this is a pretty niche issue. It's not like there are millions of these certs out there. But...anyone who has one is somewhat by definition a somewhat high-value customer for Marriott going forward. So the incentive to treat people fairly should be there.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by jrey
After a certificate has been attached to a reservation, what happen if we cancel the reservation online? Will we get the certificate back automatically?
You have to call to get your certificate back. If you cancel your reservation online, you don't get the certificate back.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by tth6133
You have to call to get your certificate back. If you cancel your reservation online, you don't get the certificate back.
Will that extend the expiration date?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by jrey
Will that extend the expiration date?
No, extension is not automatic, unless you make another reservation for stay beyond the current expiration date.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:27 pm

5-night upgrades

I know that in the past 7N packages have been able to be upgraded by paying the appropriate difference in points between the old and new packages. Is the same true for 5N packages? I have a couple of 5N cat 1-5 packages that I'm planning to hold on to through the transition, but I'm very low on points, so I'm debating whether or not to buy some SPG points now in order to (possibly) have the ability to upgrade it later this year (no firm plans so can't book now).
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:31 pm

No, extension is not automatic, unless you make another reservation for stay beyond the current expiration date.
Can we detach the certificate (by calling) without canceling the reservation?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Today I noticed that my 7 night floater cert which had a surrender point value last week of 45k points, is now showing 55k points. I wonder what that's about?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by northstar22
I know that in the past 7N packages have been able to be upgraded by paying the appropriate difference in points between the old and new packages. Is the same true for 5N packages? I have a couple of 5N cat 1-5 packages that I'm planning to hold on to through the transition, but I'm very low on points, so I'm debating whether or not to buy some SPG points now in order to (possibly) have the ability to upgrade it later this year (no firm plans so can't book now).
They're upgradable, at least before August, if you still own Marriott timeshares. After the two programs merge in August, it's not clear the new TP certificates will still be upgradable, or even your current 5-night certificates will still exist.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:39 pm

They're upgradable, at least before August, if you still own Marriott timeshares. After the two programs merge in August, it's not clear the new TP certificates will still be upgradable, or even your current 5-night certificates will still exist.
Thanks
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
Today I noticed that my 7 night floater cert which had a surrender point value last week of 45k points, is now showing 55k points. I wonder what that's about?
Most likely an IT issue, but who knows. Even if Marriott has decided to refund you 55K points when the certificate is cancelled in August, you'd think they won't let it slip this way.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:17 pm

I try to get the package for 120k Aeroplan with 7 night, but on the flight and hotel package site I don't see the option to redeem for Aeroplan except Air Canada. Anyone in the past able to redeem for Aeroplan? do I just call and say redeem for Air Canada? thank you!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by newdaybegin
I try to get the package for 120k Aeroplan with 7 night, but on the flight and hotel package site I don't see the option to redeem for Aeroplan except Air Canada. Anyone in the past able to redeem for Aeroplan? do I just call and say redeem for Air Canada? thank you!
Air Canada is Aeroplan until they introduce their own FF program in 2020.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
Where did you look too see this? All I can see is that I have a 7 night cat 1-5 travel certificate and the expiration date but I cannot see such details like surrender value?
Thanks

Last edited by mitelsp; Jul 13, 2018 at 1:42 pm
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by mitelsp
Where did you look too see this? All I can see is that I have a 7 night cat 1-5 travel certificate and the expiration date but I cannot see such details like surrender value?
Thanks
Only after the certificate has been extended or detached from a reservation.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by imverge
Air Canada is Aeroplan until they introduce their own FF program in 2020.
So I just say to the rep i want to transfer to Air Canada then the point will be in Aeroplan? I just want to make sure before I go this because I don't looking to get Air Canada mile? thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.