Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
The old Cat 6 is kind of a new Cat 4 1/2. If the convert you to a 4, I'd expect a 30,000 point refund. If they convert you to a 5, they did you a solid.
I thought from from Marriott FAQ, the cert will change to a point based cert. https://members.marriott.com/faq/#i-...a-after-august

So if you have a category 6 cert now, it'll change to a point based cert. So a now Cat 6 cert is for 30k. a night so in august its a cert that can be used for 30k a night or less and not map to the new Category altogether. Refund for in between travel package cert, I have no idea. It probably wont refund you anything because after 2019 with the PEAK and OFF PEAK awards, your new point based cert for the old cat 6 can get you rooms in the new Cat 4 PEAK or a new OFF PEAK Cat 5. So I wouldn't request an upgrade to a cert expecting a refund if they don't bump you categories.

Cat 4(regular cert) - 20k
Cat 1-5 - 25k
Cat 6 - 30k
Cat 7 - 35k
Cat 8 - 40k
Cat 9 - 45k.
Tier 1-3 - 50k
Tier 4-5 - 70k

Side Note: No idea what they would do with Cat 9 cert though since there is no in between 45k award since it jumps from 40k to 50k for new Cat 5-6.

Last edited by jdang; Jul 11, 2018 at 8:49 am Reason: Extra comment
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum
I’m sure the answer to this is somewhere (but buried) - I have a plan for a cert for Aug ‘19 which is obviously not available for booking yet, is the logic to book for another 7 day period so it is attached to a reservation, then adjust post 8/1 (once the booking window is open?) or leave it unattached and let the chips fall where they may? Are there other issues with my plan to “attach & adjust later” plan?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by jdang
I thought from from Marriott FAQ, the cert will change to a point based cert. https://members.marriott.com/faq/#i-...a-after-august

So if you have a category 6 cert now, it'll change to a point based cert. So a now Cat 6 cert is for 30k. a night so in august its a cert that can be used for 30k a night or less and not map to the new Category altogether. Refund for in between travel package cert, I have no idea. It probably wont refund you anything because after 2019 with the PEAK and OFF PEAK awards, your new point based cert for the old cat 6 can get you rooms in the new Cat 4 PEAK or a new OFF PEAK Cat 5. So I wouldn't request an upgrade to a cert expecting a refund if they don't bump you categories.

Cat 4(regular cert) - 20k
Cat 1-5 - 25k
Cat 6 - 30k
Cat 7 - 35k
Cat 8 - 40k
Cat 9 - 45k.
Tier 1-3 - 50k
Tier 4-5 - 70k

Side Note: No idea what they would do with Cat 9 cert though since there is no in between 45k award since it jumps from 40k to 50k for new Cat 5-6.
The link specifically refers to certificates earned via credit cards. For TP certificates, the issue is much more complicated. There're TP certificate holders who aren't even aware the hotel categories will change in August. Imagine the reaction of these people if they're told they can't redeem for the hotels they had in mind after August.
imverge likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by tth6133
The link specifically refers to certificates earned via credit cards. For TP certificates, the issue is much more complicated. There're TP certificate holders who aren't even aware the hotel categories will change in August. Imagine the reaction of these people if they're told they can't redeem for the hotels they had in mind after August.

​​​​​​​It shouldn't be much of a difference and should work the same. The only difference would be if they allow paying to bump the certs up in 30k increments instead of categories, it would all work out the same without devaluation.

The new travel package is 60k bump from cat 4(PEAK RATE) to cat 5(PEAK RATE), but thats a 60k point difference, which is the same as bumping old Cat 1-5 to Cat 7 to match the new Cat 4(STANDARD RATE) to Cat 5(STANDARD RATE). So the point base cert makes the most sense without devaulation or giving extra benefit to the user.

Last edited by jdang; Jul 11, 2018 at 10:48 am Reason: Forgot quote
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:07 am

Does anybody think that they might convert the package to 7 or 5 one day point-based certs? My logic is that they may not want to keep too many different kinds of cert in their system. What they will have for sure are one day point-based cert for the credit card and 7 or 5 night cat based cert for the package. Introducing 7 or 5 night point based cert for conversion purpose only may not worth the effort.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by jdang
It shouldn't be much of a difference and should work the same. The only difference would be if they allow paying to bump the certs up in 30k increments instead of categories, it would all work out the same without devaluation.
They're different. Certificates earned via credit cards are "free" bonuses for spending. TP certificates, on the other hand, are paid redemption by people with specific purpose in mind.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They're different. Certificates earned via credit cards are "free" bonuses for spending. TP certificates, on the other hand, are paid redemption by people with specific purpose in mind.
Exactly.

There is a FUNDAMENTAL DIFFERENCE between the FN cert from Credit Card - they are part of the benefits of holding a certain CC, or part of the earning structures of certain CC. They are either being bonus, or being "earned" extras. You

The FN cert from redeeming the Travel Package, are certs PAID with points, which have a lopsided value towards the Miles portion of the Travel Package (and Marriott fixes this in the NEW Travel Package Charts effective sometime in August, but NOT on August 1st according to SPG Lurker's last updates on the subject.)

Why some people keep mixing the 2 types of certs together is beyond me. However, in all reality and with all purposes, Marriott does NOT treat them being equal or interchangeable. Therefore while they both would be considered "Floater" certs when not attached to a reservation by August 1st, the treatments on them, could be very different. If Marriott can distinguish the treatment (mapping) of the elite status based on the source where the elite status is coming from, I dont see how Marriott would not do the same regarding the FN certs.

If you pay attention to what SPG Lurker has been saying, he seems to put emphasis to the unattached certs from TP redemption, when being asked how the post August 1st treatment might be. My guess is, it is relatively easy for Marriott to handle those FN certs from Chase cards whether it is annual benefit or from spending. But it is fairly complicated to handle the certs from TP, again, due to the TP structure is very lopsided to use the points towards airline miles. It is not an equal split between the 2 components, hence the point value of the TP cert is much less.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 11, 2018 at 1:17 pm
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I see your point but why doesn't the same approach make sense for TP certs? If a Cat 1-5 TP cert were valid for a redemption of up to 25K points, the certificates would continue to have the same value to the holder and the same cost to Marriott. Hotels changing redemption cost is a risk holders of unattached certificates always bore.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
I see your point but why doesn't the same approach make sense for TP certs? If a Cat 1-5 TP cert were valid for a redemption of up to 25K points, the certificates would continue to have the same value to the holder and the same cost to Marriott. Hotels changing redemption cost is a risk holders of unattached certificates always bore.
Yes high probability of how TP certs will be handled. I also I want to point out it is the same risk to attached as unattached TP certs if one needs to change dates after merger of an attached cert and the property has gone up in point cost.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:51 pm

Conversion to point-based cert is the most likely scenario. However, it's far from certainty. If it were straightforward, an announcement would have already been made with respect to the TP certs (as with the credit card linked certs). A TP cert holder has, at a minimum, a year's time to decide on a hotel in a given category. The T&C at the time of cert issuance should govern and that T&C says nothing about the number of points.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Conversion to point-based cert is the most likely scenario. However, it's far from certainty. If it were straightforward, an announcement would have already been made with respect to the TP certs (as with the credit card linked certs). A TP cert holder has, at a minimum, a year's time to decide on a hotel in a given category. The T&C at the time of cert issuance should govern and that T&C says nothing about the number of points.
At the time of issuance the T&C's don't talk about points because the program is currently based on categories. The old program will become defunct so the T&C at that time are moot. It will be the T&C's of the transition and the New Program that will govern going forward. That is the unknown. Unattached certificates are the residual of an Airline FF Program mileage redemption where most of the value resides.

Under the existing T&C they could simply quash them or cancel them at a residual value of 7.5K points per night. The certificates don't fit into the New Program. How Marriott decides to handle them is completely up to them under any of the T&C's; existing or yet to be written.

I would anticipate they will be handled "realistically" for their residual value. Speculating a windfall is absurd!

James
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I would anticipate they will be handled "realistically" for their residual value. Speculating a windfall is absurd!
None of us really knows and we're ALL speculating. My hunch is that Marriott will come out on the consumer-friendly side. First of all, these cert holders are loyal Marriott and/or Starwood customers. Secondly, however the T&C's are worded, consumer protection laws are more stringent post '08 financial crisis.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:52 pm

August is coming. Should we leave the certificate unattached or attached? Up side vs down side? My trip is 7 months away and I already have it reserved so availability is not a concern.
msp3 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Sallycat
I’m sure the answer to this is somewhere (but buried) - I have a plan for a cert for Aug ‘19 which is obviously not available for booking yet, is the logic to book for another 7 day period so it is attached to a reservation, then adjust post 8/1 (once the booking window is open?) or leave it unattached and let the chips fall where they may? Are there other issues with my plan to “attach & adjust later” plan?
There is quite a bit of discussion about that, and many opinions, but so far no clear answer.

If you attach before 1 August, the cert will (apparently) be honored irrespective of the "new" categories and rates. However, there are warnings that if the reservation is changed at all after that date, even by adjusting stay dates, the "new" redemption rates will apply.

What we don't know is what "credit" will be given for the certificate that was attached to the reservation, particularly if the number of points for the night at that property has changed. Nor do we know how the conversion will be made for unattached certificates, particularly since the old categories do not map neatly to the new categories.

My guess (and it is indeed a guess) is that if the cost of a night at the property has not changed, or is fewer points under the new chart (e.g., an old Cat 8 at 40K per night becomes a new Cat 5 at 35K per night), the attached certificate will still be honored after the change in dates of stay, but if the "price" has increased, you will have to pay the new price but get credit for the old price already paid. But that a guess and YMMV.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
None of us really knows and we're ALL speculating. My hunch is that Marriott will come out on the consumer-friendly side. First of all, these cert holders are loyal Marriott and/or Starwood customers. Secondly, however the T&C's are worded, consumer protection laws are more stringent post '08 financial crisis.
My hunch is you may be right! However maybe slightly on the customer-unfriendly side. There are usually devaluations with program changes. SPG Credit cards on regular spend are going from 1 Starpoint (3 MR points) to 2 points. That is a 33% devaluation which means you have to spend 50% more for the same amount of points. It is labeled exciting changes and enhancements.

Not sure about the Loyalty aspect though. We have a barrage of bloggers demontrating daily how to churn credit cards for points and redeeming award sweet spots, kindly asking you to follow their sponsored links for a finders fee. Need a TP? Here is how you can do it with SPG Starpoint purchases when rates are discounted and to get around the yearly maximum, register your family/friends at the same address. I believe there is less loyalty than you may think and some redemptions may have never stepped foot into a Marriott or SPG property, never mind an actual stay.

Consumer Protection? That may be a difficult one. Did Marriott or SPG provide what they said they would when you stayed? Did your meeting credit? Did you get your CC stay eqivalents. Was your guaranteed Elite benefits Provided? Bonus points? When you choose to join the respective loyalty programs you are bound by the term and conditions which you had to accept. Importantly, they can change the T&C's at their sole discretion at any time for any reason with or without notice. It also says there is no guarantee of a redemption. If they have provided everything; what would be your claim to file with Consumer Protection?

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jul 12, 2018 at 5:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.