Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, M Life Gold, Wyndham Diamond, Caesars Diamond, IHG Plat
I originally wanted to redeem the 7 day cat 9 package with Alaska miles for 390k Marriott. Was planning to use the 7 day cert at the JW Marriott Hotel Hong Kong in 2019. Should I still pull the trigger and redeem the package before Aug 1st? I don't want to miss out on that 120k Alaska miles, plus the new pricing for the package will most likely be 510-570k and will only receive 100k Alaska miles.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philemer
Strategy question:

We have ~700K Marriott pts and usually use them for 1, 2 or 3 night stays.
We could use more AS or AA miles but not sure if it's worth spending 270K Marriott pts for a Cat. 1-5 cert. if we may only use it for a 2 or 3 night stay.
We have no current plans for the 120K miles but would probably use them w/in the next 2 yrs.

Would you pull the trigger and buy the TP?
No. Because you do not need the miles until 2 years later. You would most likely be able to get the similar amount of miles via other means. No reason to be swept into this frenzy unless you really would use the bulk of the 7 nights, and the miles would not be sitting at the bottom of the barrel (waiting for devaluation which I am afraid AS would certainly have one in coming months, it is long overdue.)
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by plzkthx
I originally wanted to redeem the 7 day cat 9 package with Alaska miles for 390k Marriott. Was planning to use the 7 day cert at the JW Marriott Hotel Hong Kong in 2019. Should I still pull the trigger and redeem the package before Aug 1st? I don't want to miss out on that 120k Alaska miles, plus the new pricing for the package will most likely be 510-570k and will only receive 100k Alaska miles.
Have you looked at Ren at Hong Kong? It is going down by 5K pts after Aug 1st. It has a lounge with views and the foods in the lounge is no less than that of JWM. Location-wise is less convenient but if you go in the cooler months, it is not bad to walk the sky walkways which can lead you to many places, almost to the Central. You will pass thru some interesting places with interesting exhibits. We did such a walk from the Convention Center last Sept, all the way back to JWM.

Room-wise, JWM's rooms are quite outdated, especially the bathroom. Sadly from reviews, the recent renovation (still going on at the upper floors) has not done ANYTHING to update the bathroom which in our experiences from last 3 stays with the latest being Sept 2017, are very worn with chipped tubs. (we stayed at the corner room at floors 31 to 34, so they are supposedly the better standard rooms.)

Ren's room size is smaller, but they have been renovated several times. If you are Gold or Plat, chances of getting a nice upgrade at Ren when there is no convention, are quite good.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Im thinking to book another travel pkg, this time for a cat9. Post-change, this cert should be able to book "any" hotel since top cat will be 8?! And would be able to book Ritz Carlton as well? No pt ordering the Tier packages...?!
Have you actually studied the new charts? The old categories do NOT transfer to the new categories by the "number".

Current Cat 9 is LOWER than the new Cat 7 and 8. No way your current Cat 9 would let you book any hotel in the new chart.

Suggest you spend some time to actually understand what the new chart means because from what you post, it seems you dont have any idea on the new chart.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:30 pm

Tried canceling a 1-5 certificate for 45k MR back. When I go cancel the room, the screen shows 21,428 points. That normal?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by atojbk
Tried canceling a 1-5 certificate for 45k MR back. When I go cancel the room, the screen shows 21,428 points. That normal?
Pretty sure you need to call in to do this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Similar to the previous poster, but not quite - I have just over 270k MR points.I do an annual trip to HK on CX - but I've already booked 2018's trip, and 2019 trip won't be until November-ish (so not bookable until the new year). I'm based in YVR, so aside from CX I tend to fly AC within NA. I have the Alaska credit card, it's the only US carrier that has a Canadian cc. Right now I see my choices as:

1. Buy 120k Alaska points with a cat 1-5 cert before August.
2. Buy 85k Asiamiles before August
3. Buy 120k Aeroplan points before August
4. Do nothing for now, and use the 60k MR points -> 25k airline points redemption after August

Given that the CX chart is due for a devaluation on AS, and Aeroplan is going kaput in 2020, should would you risk either redemption for the extra miles? At best I'd do a trip somewhere within NA in February.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
It's been a while since I've redeemed a stay certificate. Is it still necessary to call Marriott to book the hotel stay or is there a way to book the stay online?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by arnel
Similar to the previous poster, but not quite - I have just over 270k MR points.I do an annual trip to HK on CX - but I've already booked 2018's trip, and 2019 trip won't be until November-ish (so not bookable until the new year). I'm based in YVR, so aside from CX I tend to fly AC within NA. I have the Alaska credit card, it's the only US carrier that has a Canadian cc. Right now I see my choices as:

4. Do nothing for now, and use the 60k MR points -> 25k airline points redemption after August

Given that the CX chart is due for a devaluation on AS, and Aeroplan is going kaput in 2020, should would you risk either redemption for the extra miles? At best I'd do a trip somewhere within NA in February.
I've been struggling with the same dilemma myself.

My personal thoughts:
1) Possibly go this route, gamble with potential devaluation. If AS devalues, is there any other airline partner good to transfer to? Plus, I don't really have an use for the cat 1-5 cert.
2) Not worth it for myself, since I don't really have a cat 1-5 cert usage in mind. After august, 60k -> 25k AM, so not really sure it's worth getting a TP for AM.
3) I'm still burning through my AP, so this is out.
4) This is what I'm leaning towards. Since 270k -> 112.5k airline points effectively after August. It's a slight loss in terms of airline points (if transferring to 120k partners), and I also lose out on the cat 1-5 cert (which I'm struggling to find a use for). This gives me the greatest flexibility, with only marginal loss (for me).
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: MileagePlus - Gold
@Jasper2009

If it is a travel package certificate then you have to call it in. If it is a single day certificate you can apply it after you book the room *using points*.

For the travel package certificate you can first find availability on your own by first booking a week *with points* and then call in to have an agent apply the 7-day certificate.
Jasper2009 likes this.

Last edited by willryu; Jul 4, 2018 at 9:54 am Reason: forgot to quote
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:11 am

I browsed a few pages but couldn't find the answer. What is going to happen to 1-night Cat 5 certificate (unattached to booking) after Aug 1? Will it be converted to 25K (pre-Aug 1 value)?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by DelAbbot
I browsed a few pages but couldn't find the answer. What is going to happen to 1-night Cat 5 certificate (unattached to booking) after Aug 1? Will it be converted to 25K (pre-Aug 1 value)?
It will be converted to a one night certificate worth up to 25k points
DelAbbot likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arnel

I would go with Aeroplan. You can use BR (Eva to TPE then HKG). Booking R/T Aeroplan let you have 2 stopovers and 1 destination. But of course Aeroplan requires more miles comparing to AS but I dont think Aeroplan would devalue between now and the contract with AC terminates in June 2020 while AS definitely would devalue sometime between now and beginning of 2019 when you could book your CX trip.

On top of that I suggest to follow the CX availability thread in AS forum. Since 9 months ago the CX availability has become rather poor. Even a few months before Asia Miles devaluation on June 22nd, all the CX premium cabin seats between North America and HKG were zeroed out on both direction.
They are NOT coming back as of now. You see very sporadic 1F availability but J is completely absent whether it is 2 months out or 11 months out or anytime in between. The only availability shows up is the close in departures. I am sure this is not what you want to see, but that is the current reality.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by arandomflyer
I know that I need a TP for August 2019. The hotel is Cat 6 but reservations are not yet open. Looked up that Free Night Award Chart for coming August and Marriott downgraded the hotel award category to 4. Should I book Cat 6 or Cat 4 for the certificate? It's a 30k difference for Cat 4 and Cat 6 cert right now.
On the other hand, if the hotel is going to turn into a Cat 4 anyway, should I just buy a Cat 4 cert instead?
My advice, take with as many grains of salt as you require...

If you are 100% certain that you will stay at that exact hotel next August, then odds are that you should buy the certificate, either Cat 5 or Cat 6 pre-8/1/18, though it is not a certainty. If you buy Cat 5, my choice, you are essentially gambling 60K MR points and 20K miles (in most scenarios): a Cat 5 today costs 270K points; a Cat 4 on 8/1 costs 330K points. With so many current Cat 6s becoming new Cat 4s, this is the closest thing to a sweet spot for TPs in the changeover.

There are 3 main possibilities for Cat 5 floaters post-8/1:
  1. refunded for a pittance of points ("you lose - good DAY, sir!");
  2. changed to a new Cat 4 cert - you saved 60K, plus gained 20K miles;
  3. or refunded for pure "equivalent" points of value (I think this equals out at 150K, meaning you win by buying airline miles 1:1 with Marriott points).
The 3 options are not equally likely. I personally think most likely to least are 2,1,3 but hey, that would require Marriott's IT to be on point, so...whatever. Also, I see no scenario where a current Cat 6 cert would become a Cat 4 cert, while current Cat 5 certs would be crushed; Marriott could make an argument based on point equivalence but I think they don't want to outrage thousands of Cat 5 holders by telling them they owe another 30-60K points for something they already bought. But I would absolutely bet my house that any current Cat 5 can't be extended past a year, so you'd best be certain that you're using it where you expect in August 2019.

Also: I believe Lurker has stated that post-8/1 any cert *attached* to a hotel that goes down in category can get the points difference refunded, but I would have doubts that a Cat 6 floater used at a Cat 4 would provide any "difference refund".

If you feel you can earn 60K more Marriott points post August, and/or you don't have any other uses for 60K points (plus you don't care about 20K airlines miles), or you expect scenario 1 to come about then wait. If your risk appetite allows you to gamble against scenario #1 , then buy now.

Last edited by SightseeMC; Jul 4, 2018 at 9:01 pm Reason: Further thoughts on buying current Cat 5 vs Cat 6, spelling/grammar
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Happy
I would go with Aeroplan. You can use BR (Eva to TPE then HKG). Booking R/T Aeroplan let you have 2 stopovers and 1 destination. But of course Aeroplan requires more miles comparing to AS but I dont think Aeroplan would devalue between now and the contract with AC terminates in June 2020 while AS definitely would devalue sometime between now and beginning of 2019 when you could book your CX trip.

On top of that I suggest to follow the CX availability thread in AS forum. Since 9 months ago the CX availability has become rather poor. Even a few months before Asia Miles devaluation on June 22nd, all the CX premium cabin seats between North America and HKG were zeroed out on both direction.
They are NOT coming back as of now. You see very sporadic 1F availability but J is completely absent whether it is 2 months out or 11 months out or anytime in between. The only availability shows up is the close in departures. I am sure this is not what you want to see, but that is the current reality.
I've been checking in on that thread the last couple of weeks - I didn't realize that there was no CX availability more than a month out
Do any of the European partners have J products worth flying on? Iceland air? Could also do a redemption there instead. Unless we think MileagePlan as a whole is getting a devaluation and not just CX/JAL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.