Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tth6133
I don't see how Marriott could wait until August to announce what happens to the existing legacy certificates. What if the certificate holder wants to attach it to a new reservation on August 1 (or whatever date on which the new categories take effect)?
How can they do it? By waiting. It's not difficult.

If a certificate holder wants to wait to attach their certificate until the new program rates kick in in August, they'll be taking a risk so long as Marriott holds off on clarifying the policy. That this is anxiety provoking and even possibly unfair to certificate holders does not mean that Marriott cannot do this.

Clarifying in advance will lead to different consequences, depending on the policy.
  1. If holders of unattached certificates get more in value than they paid, there will be a wild rush to redeem the minute the policy is announced.
  2. If holders of unattached certificates get what they paid for (by refunding some points if the certificates are replaced with a lower value), there will be an uptick in redemptions by folks who want to take advantage of the greater miles and better ratio, now that they know that their certificates will not be devalued.
  3. If holders of unattached certificates will get less value than what they paid for, folks will wait to redeem until the new program kicks in, unless they really need the miles and are willing to take a beating on the hotel certificate.

Given that Marriott would be better off having fewer people redeem for miles at the current rate, and that they are unlikely to want to deal with the uproar that would be caused by giving less value than people paid for, my guess it that the ultimate outcome will be 1 or 2, and that they are keeping mum to avoid a "run on the bank."
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
'It is not instant online but you should receive a new confirmation email that shows the new status.

Check again tomorrow or day after tomorrow - the cert would disappear by then.

Thanks! I did get the email right away.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Let me get this straight...

If I "Buy" a cat 6 for 7 nights @ 300,000 points, I get a 7 day cert and 132,000 united miles.
Their verbiage says don't for get about the 10% rewards plus bonus, up to 12,000 miles....I assume that is already accounted for
So, it is really 7 nights and 120,000 miles - but with 10% added it makes it 132,000 after the bonus??

Does that sound right?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
So, it is really 7 nights and 120,000 miles - but with 10% added it makes it 132,000 after the bonus??
Correct!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:23 am

I got my Aeroplan miles posted this morning. I did the Travel Package transfer last Wednesday. So just short of under a week for the miles to show up on Aeroplan's side. Not bad.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I am looking at a current Cat 8 Marriott property at 40K per night that is going down to new Cat 5 at 35K per night. If I redeem for a 5 night TP (MCV owner) and attach the cert before Aug. 1, then I can cancel the reservation after Aug. 1 and have the cert reissued at the new Cat 5 with refund of difference?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85
I am looking at a current Cat 8 Marriott property at 40K per night that is going down to new Cat 5 at 35K per night. If I redeem for a 5 night TP (MCV owner) and attach the cert before Aug. 1, then I can cancel the reservation after Aug. 1 and have the cert reissued at the new Cat 5 with refund of difference?
No one is certain how exactly it will be handled. Upon cancellation you may receive one of the following:
1) 160K points (likely with some restrictions)
2) A point-based certificate (up to 35K/night) + 20K points
3) A point-based certificate (up to 40K/night)

In scenario 1 and 2, you will net 20K points after rebooking. In scenario 3, however, you will get no additional points.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by tth6133
No one is certain how exactly it will be handled. Upon cancellation you may receive one of the following:
1) 160K points (likely with some restrictions)
2) A point-based certificate (up to 35K/night) + 20K points
3) A point-based certificate (up to 40K/night)

In scenario 1 and 2, you will net 20K points after rebooking. In scenario 3, however, you will get no additional points.
Scenario 3 is the worst case, paying extra points for the 5 nights stay so that I can convert MR points to airline miles at current conversion.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Im thinking to book another travel pkg, this time for a cat9. Post-change, this cert should be able to book "any" hotel since top cat will be 8?! And would be able to book Ritz Carlton as well? No pt ordering the Tier packages...?!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Im thinking to book another travel pkg, this time for a cat9. Post-change, this cert should be able to book "any" hotel since top cat will be 8?! And would be able to book Ritz Carlton as well? No pt ordering the Tier packages...?!
Unlikely in my opinion as old categories do not equal new. You are more likely to end up with something that will more or less equate to hotels that are about 45k/night-current value of a cat 9.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29917515-post1810.html

Bolding and color are mine to draw attention to relevant parts of quote.
The usage of the word maximize I believe does imply that there are sweet spots to find.

Here's my guess:
Let's say you have a Cat X travel certificate and attach it to a reservation at a Cat X hotel before Aug. This is now considered used - so there will be no conversions, no floater certificates lying around in your account.
Post Aug, the above Cat X stays cat X - nothing lost, nothing gained. But if that Cat X hotel is one that increases award category, you basically end up having a "used" certificate for a higher category. So then what if you want to reschedule that booking you have?
Note that for stays booked with points, if you modify your stay dates after August, you will be subject to the new Free Night Award Chart point values. Extending your stay or shifting your stay dates will result in a recalculation of points required for your reservation. <added by Starwood Lurker 30Apr18
In that case one might end up with a certificate now valid for that newer category. Maximize much?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:58 pm

I know that I need a TP for August 2019. The hotel is Cat 6 but reservations are not yet open. Looked up that Free Night Award Chart for coming August and Marriott downgraded the hotel award category to 4. Should I book Cat 6 or Cat 4 for the certificate? It's a 30k difference for Cat 4 and Cat 6 cert right now.
On the other hand, if the hotel is going to turn into a Cat 4 anyway, should I just buy a Cat 4 cert instead?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
I wouldn't count on it. Categories do not match Current Cat 9 is below new Cat 7 and 8. You have to attach the cert to a hotel before Aug. 1 to be certain.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
TP or use current pts for 1>3 stays?

Strategy question:

We have ~700K Marriott pts and usually use them for 1, 2 or 3 night stays.
We could use more AS or AA miles but not sure if it's worth spending 270K Marriott pts for a Cat. 1-5 cert. if we may only use it for a 2 or 3 night stay.
We have no current plans for the 120K miles but would probably use them w/in the next 2 yrs.

Would you pull the trigger and buy the TP?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CIT85
I am in the same boat except the hotel is a cat 6 that will go down to cat 4 which is the old Cat 5 (from 30K down to 25K). Nobody knows what is going to happen as Marriott has been silent on anything regarding conversion in any scenario.

The usage is for real need and in Oct. The ideal outcome for us would be a refund of points for 6 nights (there is 1 free night in the 7 nights cert) for the original Cat 6. This would allow us rebook another hotel in the same city that is going down from 40K to 35K a night, with a shorter stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.