Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by lax2010

Actually, if you call to order the TP today, they make you pick a hotel and attach the 7-night cert to it for you. Is that the same practice in the past?

It shows that they really don’t want any 7-night cert floating aroud (for whatever reason)?!
you sure you didn't call SPG?
cuz SPG requires you to pick a hotel when you order their travel package
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
If you cancel the reservation but don't ask for the cert to be cancelled, you get the floater.
Can I do exactly that online without calling in - to cancel and ask for a floater?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by mitchwebb
Did this happen today?
It was in the last few days! Called in twice and was told both time that I will need to pick a hotel!

Last edited by lax2010; Jun 26, 2018 at 2:33 pm
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:01 pm

Do we need to book 7-night start date by the expiration date or make sure the end of the 7-night stay is before the MTP expiration date?
For example. if my 7-night MTP expires on July 28 and I want to actually want to book a stay for 7 nights, which dates can I book?
a) July 28, 29, 30, 31, and Aug 1, 2, 3
or
b) July 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:29 pm

It was in the last few days! Called in twice and was told both time that I will need to pick a hotel!
They don't know what they're talking about!
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum (LTG), Hilton Gold, United 1K, AA EXP, AS MVP 75K
A rep asked me what hotel I wanted to stay at as well last week. I simply told her that I need the miles to book a flight to Europe and haven’t decided which countries / hotel I plan to use the voucher. End of discussion. Rep processed the order without designating a hotel.

Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:41 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Navigating Marriott’s phone prompts to book a Travel Package

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...ravel-package/

Filed under useful tips!
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Travelchurner
They don't know what they're talking about!
Yes, HUACA. I have noticed that right now not all Marriott reps are up to speed with Travel Packages. It's a real possibility that you'l know more about them than they will.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy (Gold)
Originally Posted by DelAbbot
Do we need to book 7-night start date by the expiration date or make sure the end of the 7-night stay is before the MTP expiration date?
For example. if my 7-night MTP expires on July 28 and I want to actually want to book a stay for 7 nights, which dates can I book?
a) July 28, 29, 30, 31, and Aug 1, 2, 3
or
b) July 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
I think that the stay must be completed before expiration date but I would call and confirm
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Navigating Marriott’s phone prompts to book a Travel Package

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...ravel-package/

Filed under useful tips!
I did this for the 5 day travel package. Good news is that the wait time was only 10 minutes, bad news is that it is only for the 7 night package. I was transferred to MVC owner services and it was then handled promptly.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by jtp1947
I did this for the 5 day travel package.
Do you actually own a MVC?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by crimsona
Since the new award chart kicked in for Asia miles two days ago, nobody has been able to book partner awards using Alaska miles. So don't assume that you can
Also, CX F with AS is 70K one-way so not enough for a return. F in one direction, J is the other to ASIA would work.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Am I wrong or do I see immense value with the 390k Cat 9 pkg as opposed to the 270k pkg?
Currently sitting on 540k and debating if i should redeem 2 x270k or 1 cat9
I know the true value is getting AS miles, but having 7nt at a top hotel may be worth it as well
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:02 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Am I wrong or do I see immense value with the 390k Cat 9 pkg as opposed to the 270k pkg?
I know the true value is getting AS miles, but having 7nt at a top hotel may be worth it as well
That depends if you can find a top hotel that will take the 7 night certificate... the cat 1-5 would be easier to apply...but also have limited nice hotels... seems like a toss up to me but hey for 240k in AS miles I would go with the cat 1-5.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Unless I knew where I was going to apply the 1-5, I would have a hard time pulling the trigger. I've used the cat 9 several times and although 7 nights isn't always ideal I've found it to be more valuable to me.

Last edited by davidsc111; Jun 27, 2018 at 6:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.