Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:54 am

No online redemption. Phone call only
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I just ordered my first (and possibly last) TP for a week at the JW Marriott Essex House. The booking shows the dates, and the points for the total TP (320,000) distributed over the seven nights of the stay, with one night listed as "free". It also shows that a certificate has been attached to the booking.

Is this the way a TP booking is supposed to look on the reservation details? Nowhere on the reservation is there any mention of the travel package made.

On a side note, there is a clear mention of the $25 nightly destination fee, so I guess that this isn't waived for travel packages. I thought that some programs were waiving these extra fees on award stays, but Marriott doesn't appear to be among them.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:39 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
... but Marriott doesn't appear to be among them.
While in general I prefer Marriott's program over Hilton's, this is one benefit Hilton has over Marriott. It would be nice if Marriott, like Hilton, waived most fees for award stays, but they don't.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Quick question: I know that the certs expire one year from being issued. Is this date "book by" or "stay by"? I.e. if I redeem points for a travel package today, can I confirm a booking for Sept. 2019?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Quick question: I know that the certs expire one year from being issued. Is this date "book by" or "stay by"? I.e. if I redeem points for a travel package today, can I confirm a booking for Sept. 2019?
I believe it is stay by.

Under the current program the cert automatically gets one year extension from the time you call to ask for it (obviously need to be no later than the original expiration date). I extended my cert in March for another 12 months, 2 days before it was set to expire. Said cert is now attached to a stay in November but I cannot do that until I have extended the cert so it would be valid till Mar 2019 before I can use it for a Nov stay.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader

I am quite certain that Marriott knows what they are going to do, they just aren’t telling the public. This is a massive undertaking and there is less than 6 weeks until implementation of all of the changes to the entire loyalty system and conversion from two systems. If they don’t already know what they are going to do, then it is not going to happen on August 1. I have been a part of several conversions, all of them much smaller than this, and most decisions are made six months in advance, I can’t recall one where a decision this was made less than 3 months in advance.
If Marriott has made decision on what to do 6 months before the actual merger, what is the benefit of holding the information from its members when there is less than 1.5 month before the actual implementation of such?

Dont forget back in April 19, there were very conflicting information as to how the elite status would be mapped, coming out from Senior VPs, even doing interviews with blogger... The confusion lasted for several days until Marriott finally came out to make clarification, and not even via any "official" channels - as to whether the current Gold from linked SPG / AMEX Plat / UA 1K would be mapped.

Based on your certainty scenario, shouldn't those conversion should have been decided 6 months before they made the mid year alignment? Yet as we all knew that there was not any certainty on many many things. Else Starwood Lurker would not become the ONE and the ONLY Focal Point of communication on all sorts of questions (just read the Wiki partitions would make you tired) on all fronts - from how to count for the eligible nights / stays to requalify this year to how to count the cumulative life time eligible nights / stays for the combined programs, to the status mapping, to many many things. Most of those questions were NOT answered until the past week or so, and many of the "answers" are actually Non Answers, as to "soon" the information will be available, as for the June 19th update on question 35 that I asked back in Mid May.

All signs indicate that many many of the details on all aspects have NOT been decided because Marriott wants to see how the public reacts, and to retain the biggest flexibility to decide what is the most advantageous to them, while not alienate the members too much.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
If Marriott has made decision on what to do 6 months before the actual merger, what is the benefit of holding the information from its members when there is less than 1.5 month before the actual implementation of such?
I mean if it is something that people would/could potentially take advantage of because they plan on being generous that would make sense they would hold back the info until the last second. That being said I can see them going in various directions, but I still went ahead and got a package. I feel overall Marriott has been pretty fair with everything so far, at least more so than other companies have been in the past.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
I have a CAT1-5 certificate and a cat6 certificate right now both seven nights. I think tonight might go ahead and book reservations in Thailand that I want to do. Now. Then after August 1 if the certificate reservation goes down I can just cancel and get a better category hotel if the category goes up then I’ll still have my hotel reservation in place. What do you guys think of the strategy
Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: IHG Ambassador , Marriott platinum, United, Delta
my biggest concern is getting a cert and not being about to extend. I know it has been a policy in the psst that they have been extended, but there in nothing that i see that confirms that they have to into the future. I want to use the first week int July 2019.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: N/A
RT ANA or CX first for $1300?

I have read back a few pages and while certainly speculation exists, would my math hold? Huge caveat to start out here. I am solidly able to value SPG points at 2.3-3cpp, and am operating under that assumption. Completely understand that some may not be using the same valuation...

If i were to use the latest SPG points purchase promotion (along with family members) I would be able to purchase the Category 8 Marriott package for $3,300 (90k x 2.28cpp) and yield 120k AS or Virgin miles and 7 cat 8 nights (enough for roundtrip F)

After 8/1 , the speculation is that i the nights would be converted to points (6 nights at the current rate of 40k/nt) or 80k SPG.
  • Total Cost: $3,300 (130k initial purchase)
  • Yield: 120k ANA/AS + 80k SPG
If true, and i then net out the cash equivalent of 80k spg at $2,000 (2.25cpp) I would then be essentially paying $1,300 for a roundtrip F ticket with Cathay or ANA? Could this scenario get even better?

Last edited by JBG89; Jun 23, 2018 at 2:17 am
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:22 am

Since the new award chart kicked in for Asia miles two days ago, nobody has been able to book partner awards using Alaska miles. So don't assume that you can
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by JBG89

If i were to use the latest SPG points purchase promotion (along with family members) I would be able to purchase the Category 8 Marriott package for $3,300 (90k x 2.28cpp) and yield 120k AS or Virgin miles and 7 cat 8 nights (enough for roundtrip F)

After 8/1 , the speculation is that i the nights would be converted to points (6 nights at the current rate of 40k/nt) or 80k SPG.
That full value conversion rate is, as you say, speculation. My own hunch is that it is correct, but I am my no means fully confident. If that is the case, then you are basically getting 1 mile for 1 MR point (or 3 miles for one SPG). At that rate, there are all sorts of very high value flight redemptions, of which Cathay F is just one example.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by JBG89
RT ANA or CX first for $1300?

I have read back a few pages and while certainly speculation exists, would my math hold? Huge caveat to start out here. I am solidly able to value SPG points at 2.3-3cpp, and am operating under that assumption. Completely understand that some may not be using the same valuation...

• Total Cost: $3,300 (130k initial purchase)
  • Yield: 120k ANA/AS + 80k SPG
If true, and i then net out the cash equivalent of 80k spg at $2,000 (2.25cpp) I would then be essentially paying $1,300 for a roundtrip F ticket with Cathay or ANA? Could this scenario get even better?
It would be AMAZING if that's the case because I am holding onto more than 2million of Marriot pt. But this is going to be a gamble too if I redeem ALL for a package right now and hoping I would get lots Marriott pt back after they cancel the certificate on Aug 1st. It just sounds too good to be true!
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Just don't forget that we are all "speculating" what will happen. It could be that Marriott expects everyone to remember that when they ordered their TP award it was for the miles with a discounted hotel award certificate. And if you turn in that cert or don't have it applied to a reservation by Aug. 1st, they could convert it to the # of points it was "worth" within a TP award (which would be much less than ordering a hotel award alone.)

A year ago I would have been very comfortable guessing Marriott would automatically redeposit all the unlinked TP hotel awards for the lower TP valuation. I've been surprised by how well they have treated most everyone with this merger. So now, I'm just not sure what they will do with those certs. But even so, don't forget, keeping an unused/unlinked TP hotel cert in your account past Aug. 1st is basically gambling. And like any other gambling, don't gamble if you can't "afford" to lose. At the very least, I'd recommend hedging my bet by finding some acceptable hotel to make an award reservation with and link your cert to it. Then after Aug 1st comes and goes, you can see how Marriott is dealing with those certs and make a decision to keep that reservation or cancel it.
SanDiego1K and Happy like this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by musicscrip

It would be AMAZING if that's the case because I am holding onto more than 2million of Marriot pt. But this is going to be a gamble too if I redeem ALL for a package right now and hoping I would get lots Marriott pt back after they cancel the certificate on Aug 1st. It just sounds too good to be true!
Why would you hang on to 2 million points? Their value only goes down, especially now that Marriott have taken one of their main competitors out of the game...

I can understand not really caring about miles, if you have other sources. But hoarding points like that...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.