Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select Packages - Deals from the Topic drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Originally Posted by TIGRIS23
That's good to know! No really, some people just leave the rooms?! What if improper charges get billed w/o them knowing it.
We check them out at the front desk, if there bags "stayed" past check in they get charged an additional night. We were reasonable though, traveling for whatever reason can be stressful and mistakes or miscommunication happens.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:53 pm

Great to know! Thanks All for your quick feedbacks! One other question with that settle. Does anyone know if I can use the 7-nights cert to book any of these autograph collections in Greece (Domes of Elounda Or Domes Noruz Chania) if I use more points to upgrade the categories?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:12 pm

Great to know! Thanks All for your quick feedbacks! One other question with that settle. Does anyone know if I can use the 7-nights cert to book any of these autograph collections in Greece (Domes of Elounda Or Domes Noruz Chania) if I use more points to upgrade the categories?

I believe you can
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:39 pm
alc

Yes, you can upgrade your cert category, 30K per category increase. And as long as you have an rewards reservation for the hotel and a matching categories/tiers cert, the agent will attached it.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:46 pm
alc

Originally Posted by lincoln boy
I have a 7 nights reservation booked with points but would like to do the travel package to take advantage of airline miles. The problem is that the hotel that I have the reservation on is not available for point booking during the dates. How easy is it for the Marriott representative to do the travel package without loosing the reservation? I want to take advantage of travel package airline transfer but also don't want to lose the reservation at the property. Has somebody done similar things?
While I had done this a few times before, but just in case this will make you feel better I actually just changed a confirmed rewards (i.e. points taken already) booking over to using a cert over the phone like an hour ago. Confirmation # stay the same, everything stay the same, just the e-cert that attached to the reservation got changed.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by alc
Yes, you can upgrade your cert category, 30K per category increase. And as long as you have an rewards reservation for the hotel and a matching categories/tiers cert, the agent will attached it.
Hi alc, sorry but just to clarify...what do you mean by: "And as long as you have an rewards reservation for the hotel"--I have to make reservastions first? "and a matching categories/tiers cert, the agent will attached it" What's a matching categories/tiers cert.? I only have the 7 nights 1-5 category cert.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:01 am
alc

Hi alc, sorry but just to clarify...what do you mean by: "And as long as you have an rewards reservation for the hotel"--I have to make reservastions first? "and a matching categories/tiers cert, the agent will attached it" What's a matching categories/tiers cert.? I only have the 7 nights 1-5 category cert.
I actually do normally make the reservation online first (with or without points) and then call in to attach the cert. What I meant really is that as long as there are standard Marriott points/reward nights available to make a reward reservation, you can use the cert. Your cert need to the at the same category or tier of the hotel that you want to use it. so if the hotel is a Category 8 and you hold a Category 1 - 5 cert, you need to first upgrade the cert to Category 8 cert by using 90K points (30K per category increase). Hope this help.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Yes you can and I did this recently. I wouldn't recommend it though. Feel as I wasted my cat 9 cert. The hotel loves to nickel and dime you on everything.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by alc
I actually do normally make the reservation online first (with or without points) and then call in to attach the cert. What I meant really is that as long as there are standard Marriott points/reward nights available to make a reward reservation, you can use the cert. Your cert need to the at the same category or tier of the hotel that you want to use it. so if the hotel is a Category 8 and you hold a Category 1 - 5 cert, you need to first upgrade the cert to Category 8 cert by using 90K points (30K per category increase). Hope this help.
Thank you! This is so helpful! Sorry I'm a newb so clarity like this is so helpful! Thanks again!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Yes you can and I did this recently. I wouldn't recommend it though. Feel as I wasted my cat 9 cert. The hotel loves to nickel and dime you on everything.
Hi onlysuites! Thanks for the feedback! Oh really, that sucks! Sorry to hear your experience wasn't as great as you anticipated it to be. Can you elaborate a little on their nickel & dime process in your stay? Was it the food, drinks, etc.? And if this nickel & dime wasn't a factor, would you otherwise recommend this property? Thanks for taking the time help!
mumum17 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:01 am

In March 2018 I've ordered a Cat 1-5 Cert to get 35% more Avios. My plan was to use it for a Stay in Dec 2019 which I could book in Jan 2019. The Hotel is now cat 4 so no problem. Now I read about possible cancelations of these Certs in August 2018. Is a date change with this certs possible ? Such as I book now the Hotel for May 2019 and in Jan 2019 I will change it to Dec 2019..

Cheers
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:39 am
alc

Originally Posted by schoppy
In March 2018 I've ordered a Cat 1-5 Cert to get 35% more Avios. My plan was to use it for a Stay in Dec 2019 which I could book in Jan 2019. The Hotel is now cat 4 so no problem. Now I read about possible cancelations of these Certs in August 2018. Is a date change with this certs possible ? Such as I book now the Hotel for May 2019 and in Jan 2019 I will change it to Dec 2019..

Cheers
As far as I understood, any changes to a reservation will be subject to the new rules post Aug 1st.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by alc
While I had done this a few times before, but just in case this will make you feel better I actually just changed a confirmed rewards (i.e. points taken already) booking over to using a cert over the phone like an hour ago. Confirmation # stay the same, everything stay the same, just the e-cert that attached to the reservation got changed.
That's the information that I wanted hear. Thank you!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Summer promotions and travel packages

Last year booked 7 nights at the Rennaisance Aruba via a travel package and was surprised at checkout to see a $50 per night F&B credit, apparently it was a summer promo they had at the time.

They are offering the same promo this summer, but when I inquired at booking I was told the promo can only be booked on paid stays. Anyone have experiences with this?

Worst case seems worth a shot to inquire on check in and see if they can apply the promo?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Hi onlysuites! Thanks for the feedback! Oh really, that sucks! Sorry to hear your experience wasn't as great as you anticipated it to be. Can you elaborate a little on their nickel & dime process in your stay? Was it the food, drinks, etc.? And if this nickel & dime wasn't a factor, would you otherwise recommend this property? Thanks for taking the time help!
- Coffee pods in the room are €2. The first time I have come across a 5* charging for coffee pods.
- They refuse to give more then 1 bottle of 500ml water per person per day.
- The hotel was meant to have a heated pool which they never heated and the water was freezing. The kids only went swimming once.
- My toddler is a fussy eater and they refused to let us carry her left over coco pops so she can eat in the room later.

When you are paying $800 a night for a hotel room you expect them not to do these things.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.