Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by alc
i know for sure the Marriott Rewards department used to closed at 11:30pm EST. But I was surprised the other day that I called at around 2am EST and ask the reservation agent to transfer me to the "Elite Desk" and I did get someone on the phone to change my CAT 1-5 cert to a CAT 6 cert and attached to the reservation. So, maybe they are 7x24 now??
Then that could be the reason for all the new people that don’t know how to do things?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:05 pm

I have a 7 night cert, category 1-5, extended once. Was planning to upgrade to category 7 with 60K points and use it for a 7 night stay in Honolulu at Marriott Courtyard.

With the possibility of being able to use it at an SPG hotel instead, do I need to wait and not attach it to a reservation until after Aug. 1 in order to preserve that possibility of using it at an SPG hotel?

Or can I attach it to the Courtyard reservation now to make sure I have something in hand, and then call after Aug. 1 to change it to an SPG hotel? Once you attach it to a res., can you change it to a different res.?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by traveladventurer
Once you attach it to a res., can you change it to a different res.?
Shouldn't be a problem provided that it's done before the CY's reservation cancel deadline. Then again we don't yet what will happen to TP certs after August.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie

Was that 800-321-7396?

I thought they were only open M-F 8-8.

Looks like the numbwr I called was 1800 450 4442

It was my first MR call so might have called the wrong # I prefer to email over calling

Too bad TPs require calling
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:49 am

I have a 7 nights reservation booked with points but would like to do the travel package to take advantage of airline miles. The problem is that the hotel that I have the reservation on is not available for point booking during the dates. How easy is it for the Marriott representative to do the travel package without loosing the reservation? I want to take advantage of travel package airline transfer but also don't want to lose the reservation at the property. Has somebody done similar things?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Titanium, United - Silver
Originally Posted by lincoln boy
I have a 7 nights reservation booked with points but would like to do the travel package to take advantage of airline miles. The problem is that the hotel that I have the reservation on is not available for point booking during the dates. How easy is it for the Marriott representative to do the travel package without loosing the reservation? I want to take advantage of travel package airline transfer but also don't want to lose the reservation at the property. Has somebody done similar things?
I’ve done this before - they just attach the certificate to your current reservation.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by s0479

I’ve done this before - they just attach the certificate to your current reservation.
So I don't have to worry about losing the reservation?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Titanium, United - Silver
Originally Posted by lincoln boy
So I don't have to worry about losing the reservation?
I have never lost a reservation before.
lincoln boy likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:28 pm

What to do with a Marriott 7 nights Package Certificate...?

So I used 90K SPG pts for a 7-night Marriott Cert. along with airline miles. But now the issue is, 7 nights in one hotel is quite difficult to do! Has anyone used a 7-nights Marriott Cert. but stayed shorter (checked out earlier than the booked 7 nights)? Any repercussions or penalties if I check out earlier? Any one has experiences with these 7 nights but want to use it for a shorter stay? Thanks!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:31 pm

No issues checking out early.
You know that some people don't even bother to check out anymore ... (they just leave and presume someone will come take care of the room and realize they are gone)
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:42 pm
alc

Or just make the reservation for the number of nights you need.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
You know that some people don't even bother to check out anymore ... (they just leave and presume someone will come take care of the room and realize they are gone)
That's good to know! Thanks for the helpful feedback! No really, some people just leave the rooms?! What if improper charges get billed w/o them knowing it.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Yes, during my time I was often asked to check rooms to see if guests had indeed check out.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by alc
Or just make the reservation for the number of nights you need.
The hotel being booked wouldn't have any issues with say 5 nights even though I'm using a 7-night cert.? I assume no in your experience then. Thanks for the helpful feedback!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:05 pm
alc

Originally Posted by TIGRIS23
The hotel being booked wouldn't have any issues with say 5 nights even though I'm using a 7-night cert.? I assume no in your experience then. Thanks for the helpful feedback!
There will be no issue. The Marriott agent will attached the cert for any reservation that is <= 7 nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.