Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I dont really understand your worry. Are you saying Marriott is cancelling the certs from Travel Package and not refunding you the points? What does that have anything to do with the SPG side? We are talking about Marriott TP here, and NOT SPG flight and night redemption, right?

Currently there is nothing to suggest Marriott would cancel the certificate and not refund the owner anything. Unless I have missed it, which is entirely possible as I came back from a 35 days trip just last week and now is playing catch up.

What I believe is, Marriott would replace the existing certs with the categories the old categories mapped to. I hope it would be a fair one because when they do the SPG to Marriott conversion at 1 to 3, ir is a very fair one.

You guys are pulling hairs out speculating on things that is totally unknown and most likely would not happen, i.e. cancellating certs without at least refunding the pts at current level.

Remember, the Travel Package is designed in a way that you get better value by having the miles and hotel stay tied together. You could choose to do it separately, with less value to you than the TP option if you feel the probability of Marriott not refunding any pts when it cancels the existing certs.
The bolded part of your response is exactly what I have expected to happen the entire time based on info previously provided. However, SPG Lurker has now confirmed the below:

10. Question on the "floater certificates" being canceled and points redeposited into the account on Aug 1st. Does this include outstanding Marriott Travel packages here: Flight and Hotel Packages Marriott Hotel Packages
Floater certificates, including outstanding Marriott Travel Packages, will be cancelled and converted to equivalent points, credited to the member’s account for future redemption. <added by Starwood Lurker 18May18>

It's possible that this was an entirely poor way of saying that the certificates will be cancelled and converted into other certificates of equivalent value, but SPG Lurker seems to select specific words to convey specific meaning and that would be a pretty major oversight.

I obviously don't think Marriott is cancelling the certs and not issuing us anything. However, if Marriott plans to cancel my certificates in August and refund points based on the back-end point value then that's of huge concern. I currently have two certs and one is a Cat 1-5, which refunds 45k when cancelled. If they plan to cancel and use the same values as currently received when we cancel then that's of huge concern for those with active certs. If this is the case I'd obviously want to figure out a way to get the points to upgrade this cert and redeem for something ahead of August. However, if they simply going to map to the new categories at the equivalent points category (which is what I've always been led to expect) then I'm not concerned with letting it ride. I also would be fine with them cancelling and issuing points value that would allow me to book the same equivalent places (so providing points amount per night x 6 nights). I think it's reasonable to expect that whatever we receive should be able to cover the same equivalency of our current certificates.
Old May 20, 2018, 3:33 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
The big benefit of the TP award is the essentially 1-to-1 points to miles transfer rate. If you don't really need/want more airline miles, then I wouldn't use my Marriott points to get them.
pointsbrah likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
I have two certificates right now. Can I book them in anybody else’s name? Or can only be in my name?

wanted to use one for my sister
Old May 20, 2018, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Willbur
The bolded part of your response is exactly what I have expected to happen the entire time based on info previously provided. However, SPG Lurker has now confirmed the below:

It's possible that this was an entirely poor way of saying that the certificates will be cancelled and converted into other certificates of equivalent value, but SPG Lurker seems to select specific words to convey specific meaning and that would be a pretty major oversight.

I obviously don't think Marriott is cancelling the certs and not issuing us anything. However, if Marriott plans to cancel my certificates in August and refund points based on the back-end point value then that's of huge concern. I currently have two certs and one is a Cat 1-5, which refunds 45k when cancelled. If they plan to cancel and use the same values as currently received when we cancel then that's of huge concern for those with active certs. If this is the case I'd obviously want to figure out a way to get the points to upgrade this cert and redeem for something ahead of August. However, if they simply going to map to the new categories at the equivalent points category (which is what I've always been led to expect) then I'm not concerned with letting it ride. I also would be fine with them cancelling and issuing points value that would allow me to book the same equivalent places (so providing points amount per night x 6 nights). I think it's reasonable to expect that whatever we receive should be able to cover the same equivalency of our current certificates.
Thanks for the updated info from SPG Lurker. Does anyone ask for clarification on what exactly the refund of points meant? I am thinking this is really what the Lurker means as this only fair to those who have existing certs planning to book before the certs expire. We should be able to book the same category same 7 nights without having to fork over more points.

I have only 1 active cert at Cat 1 to 5. I have usage in mind for it in November at a Cat 6. May be I can upgrade the cert and attached it to a booking simultaneously when I call to upgrade the cert. The caveat would be, if we change the date we would wound up in the same boat as if we haven't made the booking.

Is that true Lurker mentioned about we will know the new charts on hotel categories by June?
Old May 21, 2018, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Thanks for the updated info from SPG Lurker. Does anyone ask for clarification on what exactly the refund of points meant? I am thinking this is really what the Lurker means as this only fair to those who have existing certs planning to book before the certs expire. We should be able to book the same category same 7 nights without having to fork over more points.

I have only 1 active cert at Cat 1 to 5. I have usage in mind for it in November at a Cat 6. May be I can upgrade the cert and attached it to a booking simultaneously when I call to upgrade the cert. The caveat would be, if we change the date we would wound up in the same boat as if we haven't made the booking.

Is that true Lurker mentioned about we will know the new charts on hotel categories by June?
Thanks for jumping in over there, another person asking helps and the TP posts get buried over there. And yes, it's true that June is the expected timeline for all categories to be released - confirmed by Lurker as well as blogs like TPG.
pointsbrah likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Willbur
Thanks for jumping in over there, another person asking helps and the TP posts get buried over there. And yes, it's true that June is the expected timeline for all categories to be released - confirmed by Lurker as well as blogs like TPG.
No problem.

I also PMed Lurker asking him to take a look of my post due to it may get overlooked burying in all the countless arguments on the LTP, LTPP. Hopefully William will be able to seek further clarification on this burning issue.

I would suggest to those who are concerned, keep chiming in on the SPG thread so the issue would be noticed.

EDIT
Lurker said he had no answer now and told me to add the question to the Wiki section of the Mega thread. He will pass that to the Loyalty Team. I did so accordingly.
Therefore if anyone has any questions - it is USELESS to post in the body of the Mega thread - the questions NEED to be posted in the Wiki in order to get an official answer.

Last edited by Happy; May 21, 2018 at 10:04 am
Old May 21, 2018, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zerodegre
I have two certificates right now. Can I book them in anybody else’s name? Or can only be in my name?

wanted to use one for my sister
You can book one for your sister. That's no problem at all.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Recently redeemed for a Tier 4-5 7-night package, am having 2nd thoughts on using it right now vis a vis the merger. Can anyone help my thinking on this?

Originally planned to spend my entire balance on 3 Tier 4-5 7-night packages for fear of devaluation, but realized from August 1, 2018 - early 2019 yes there is some devaluation but also means Starwood properties are eligible for travel packages now. Instead of only having Marriott/Ritz-Carlton to choose from up to July 31, 2018, I can book places such as the Le Meridien or St. Regis in French Polynesia (where I want to go the most anywhere in the world). And it seems like to me as long as I book before the next devaluation comes along in early 2019 I'll be ok?
pointsbrah likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Currently on the phone trying to extend an expiring cert and being told it can't be done. When the agent comes back either it's done or I thank her and hang up to call another day but I hand't seen any discussion of a cert being denied a one time extension.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Currently on the phone trying to extend an expiring cert and being told it can't be done. When the agent comes back either it's done or I thank her and hang up to call another day but I hand't seen any discussion of a cert being denied a one time extension.
Are you still on the phone?
Old May 23, 2018, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Are you still on the phone?

No, was told to call back when MR was open at 6:15AM central time.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by dsquared37
One way I've been able to get them to extend it was by going up a category...that buys you another year (although the last time I did it was a year ago so maybe confirm...). So, if you have a 5 go to a 6 or some variation...
Old May 23, 2018, 6:45 am

Also, if you're already at the category you want, you can downgrade the certificate. And then upgrade it in a month. Both will reset the expiration.
ankomonkey likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I didn't know you could downgrade a certificate...that's a new one to me. Always knew you could extend once same category, or upgrade categories.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:50 pm

I'm curious if it makes sense to get the Marriot travel package now for the hotel+airmiles cert under the current program (even with the changes, allowing for more availability to the SPG properties) OR waiting to see the 'new' hotel+air packages are post Aug 1st.
It has been confirmed they still will have a program in place, although from what people are suggesting it might not be as lucrative as it is now? (Especially for those who are doing MR->SPG->Marriott Package transfers)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.