Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select Packages - Deals from the Topic drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old May 18, 2018, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RafKa

The more I think about it, the more I think this may be the case, esp with Cat 1-5 packages.

Even if the Certs map into Cat 1 regular rate, you’d be getting 382,500pts worth of pts and miles for 300,000 pts (120k miles = 300k pts + 7 nights @ 7,500pts each).

If certs map into Cat 1 upside would be 82,500pts
If certs map into Cat 2 upside would be 117,500pts
​​​​​​​If certs map into Cat 3 upside would be 152,500pts

​​​​​​​Again, am I missing something here?
Here is one blogger's speculaton
https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...travelpackages

Read the TP part, and in another write up the speculation.

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...age-arbitrage/
RafKa likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
What you are missing is that you DON'T get award night points x nights if you cancel the hotel cert. For example if you get a 270 point 120k miles plus cat 1-5 and then cancel the hotel cert you get 35 (or was it 45)k points back into your account, slightly more if it is cat 6 but NOWHERE near the point value of points/night x 7!!!!
I'm sure they will not give more (but not so sure about less) when the programs merge - no program ever has

Originally Posted by RafKa
So, I never booked a Marriott Travel Package in my life, but based on the Lurker's response below on the SPG forum, I got thinking...

10. Question on the "floater certificates" being canceled and points redeposited into the account on Aug 1st. Does this include outstanding Marriott Travel packages here: Flight and Hotel Packages Marriott Hotel Packages
Floater certificates, including outstanding Marriott Travel Packages, will be cancelled and converted to equivalent points, credited to the members account for future redemption. <added by Starwood Lurker 18May18>

So, if I book, say a 230,000 MR pts for 7 Cat 6 nights package + 50,000 AA miles, am I right in thinking I would get the equivalent of 7x Cat 6 points credited back to my account (7x30k = 210k) and still keep the 50k AA miles? This means that 50k AA miles (or Avios, in my case) would have cost 20k MR points, instead of 120k (considering there'll be a 5k bonus for every 60k pts converted).

Or am I missing something here? There's a likelihood that would map into a lower Category, correct. But from the wording, it looks like it'll be a straight points conversion, and not another 7-night cert (which I don't really like as I prefer to book 5 nights at a time to maximize points).
RafKa likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
My guess is that youd get the equivalent amount of points the package is worth. So a 7 night category 1-5 is worth 6 x 25K = 150K since the 5th night is free. This is the amount in points the certificate is worth if you booked with points. Would be great to get confirmation on how it officially works.
Old May 19, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG RA, Globalist, ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by AICML
My guess is that youd get the equivalent amount of points the package is worth. So a 7 night category 1-5 is worth 6 x 25K = 150K since the 5th night is free. This is the amount in points the certificate is worth if you booked with points. Would be great to get confirmation on how it officially works.
When I cancelled a Cat 9 cert last year, the figure of 160.000 appeared in my Activity (the underlying Cat 1-5 with 120.000 Avios had cost 270.000 and then 120.000 on top to upgrade)

A question for the board - I tried to use another cert I have expiring in September for a booking in March - was told not possible. I presume I will have to book something pre August, cancel it, and then will have a cert. valid till July 2019 to use pre changover ?
Old May 19, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Just out of interest but can anyone clarify when the peak/off peak dates kick in? I ask because I cannot figure out if they kick in for 2019 bookings from August or they kick in from booking made from Jan 2019. Apologies in advance if I am being dense.
Old May 19, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by EmeraldLady
When I cancelled a Cat 9 cert last year, the figure of 160.000 appeared in my Activity (the underlying Cat 1-5 with 120.000 Avios had cost 270.000 and then 120.000 on top to upgrade)

A question for the board - I tried to use another cert I have expiring in September for a booking in March - was told not possible. I presume I will have to book something pre August, cancel it, and then will have a cert. valid till July 2019 to use pre changover ?
Everyone would be really mad if they only refund 160000pt for a cat 9 travel package because we didn't cancel it ourselves but they cancel on us. In reality, they should be refunding 270000pt...7 nights at cat9
Old May 19, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by musicscrip

Everyone would be really mad if they only refund 160000pt for a cat 9 travel package because we didn't cancel it ourselves but they cancel on us. In reality, they should be refunding 270000pt...7 nights at cat9
It does not calculate this way. When you cancel, the redemption is recalculated AS IF you exchange hotel pts for miles, the overage would then be refunded to you.

For a Cat1 to 5 I believe you would only get back 45K. You can do the math for each incremental pt refund based on the difference needed for each category up.

Keep in mind, the miles can not be reversed. Hence the math, and the "rub".
Old May 19, 2018, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by t1c
Just out of curiosity are you doing 2 packages because Bali business class is 120k or more R/T for just 1 person if your using all points.
I'd only do 1 package, and get the rest of the points through MR conversions
Old May 19, 2018, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes

We just did this. Transferred SPG to MR for a cat 5 7-night package with 120K AS miles. We used the cat 5 7-night for Hangzhou JW Marriott next March, then we will pay for Bali accommodation (likely Amankila), then we fly back on CX (100K AS for two in J). We will have two night stopover in HK, and stay at the Ritz on points.

If you have never been to China, consider using the 7-night certificate in Shanghai.

If you want to use Alaska miles to get your CX, you need to get your miles ASAP since flights in March and April 2019 are already available for redemption.
How did you find the availability for when you booked? Did you use BA / Qantas to find it then call in?
Old May 19, 2018, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
It does not calculate this way. When you cancel, the redemption is recalculated AS IF you exchange hotel pts for miles, the overage would then be refunded to you.

For a Cat1 to 5 I believe you would only get back 45K. You can do the math for each incremental pt refund based on the difference needed for each category up.

They currently give back 45,000 for a Cat 1-5 when you choose to cancel (which is the equivalent of Cat 1 x 6 nights) but I imagine there's zero chance this is what's refunded if Marriott cancels the cert at their choosing. This doesn't even give you the points to book 2 nights at a Cat 5.
Old May 19, 2018, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Happy

I totally understand and it makes sense to me IF I am the one who wants to cancel my travel package. BUT if Marriott is doing that to us would be VERY unfair. Because we didn't ask them to cancel our certificate but they are cancelling it to convert pt into new program. I asked about this in the thread so hopefully I will get an answer from SPG Lurker.
Old May 19, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by pointsbrah
How did you find the availability for when you booked? Did you use BA / Qantas to find it then call in?
I use BA for award availability lookup, keeping in mind that BA has CX awards from 355 days out or something. And I snatched two Js by calling AS as soon as the 330 day window opens. I actually wanted JAL F but unfortunately those were gone as soon as they loaded on BA, AS never even got the chance.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:12 am

I totally understand and it makes sense to me IF I am the one who wants to cancel my travel package. BUT if Marriott is doing that to us would be VERY unfair. Because we didn't ask them to cancel our certificate but they are cancelling it to convert pt into new program. I asked about this in the thread so hopefully I will get an answer from SPG Lurker.
That thread is so overloaded with lifetime status discussion that I think at least one of us with TPs needs to bump the question each page of that thread to get some additional clarification.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Willbur
They currently give back 45,000 for a Cat 1-5 when you choose to cancel (which is the equivalent of Cat 1 x 6 nights) but I imagine there's zero chance this is what's refunded if Marriott cancels the cert at their choosing. This doesn't even give you the points to book 2 nights at a Cat 5.

I dont really understand your worry. Are you saying Marriott is cancelling the certs from Travel Package and not refunding you the points? What does that have anything to do with the SPG side? We are talking about Marriott TP here, and NOT SPG flight and night redemption, right?

Currently there is nothing to suggest Marriott would cancel the certificate and not refund the owner anything. Unless I have missed it, which is entirely possible as I came back from a 35 days trip just last week and now is playing catch up.

What I believe is, Marriott would replace the existing certs with the categories the old categories mapped to. I hope it would be a fair one because when they do the SPG to Marriott conversion at 1 to 3, ir is a very fair one.

You guys are pulling hairs out speculating on things that is totally unknown and most likely would not happen, i.e. cancellating certs without at least refunding the pts at current level.

Remember, the Travel Package is designed in a way that you get better value by having the miles and hotel stay tied together. You could choose to do it separately, with less value to you than the TP option if you feel the probability of Marriott not refunding any pts when it cancels the existing certs.

Last edited by Happy; May 20, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Old May 20, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Should I use a travel package for a Hong Kong visit?

Im looking at a 2 bedroom, 7 night stay at the JW Marriott in Hong Kong (category 9). Its 270,000 points for the stay (45k/night; fifth night free). Alternative I could do 7 Nights + 132,000 UA Miles for 390,000 Marriott points. Is either better? Currently I am flush with both points and UA miles, but low on Marriott nights (trying to get lifetime status before end of year).

The stay is in October and Im not sure if theres a benefit to booking before or after the August merger.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.