Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by khlay
That's what I thought but Willbur suggested a possible cat 9 to cat 6 mapping. Just wondering if there is any inside info.
No inside info, which is why I said likely. They've said certificates (in general) will map to comparable points without getting into specifics about the travel certificates. One could reasonable expect a Cat 9 to map to a Cat 6 certificate (since Cat 5 would be well below current points required for both Cat 8 and Cat 9). What will it be? Who knows. But I think we can all agree that a Cat 9 under the current scheme (can book best Marriott, but no RCs+) is not mapping to the new Cat 8 section (any property across the board) or even Cat 7 in Aug (any property across the board). If that were the case I'd be stoked, but makes no sense.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:19 pm

I was planning to do a SPG-> Marriot Package conversion for a trip for 2 to Bali on biz class.
But from what I've read it seems that its better to get private villas/apartments in Bali instead of using points for hotels as they are cheap.
Any recommendations on a Cat 5/6/7 hotel that is on or close to a beach somewhere in Asia (or somewhere not too challenging to find/organize award flights to redeem from Toronto)

Planning a trip next year in March and would love a nice relaxing trip by utilizing these packages.Would be my first trip on points
Old May 17, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
Can i us 7 night travel package certificate for a different cat? help

I have a 7 night Cat 5 certificate.. My question is can I use that certificate.... lets say,, in a Cat 6 for 5 nights or 6 nights instead?

Any help would be great!
Old May 17, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
No, you can only use it for what it states. If you use it for fewer nights you will forfeit the remaining nights. You can call Marriott, pay additional points and have the cert changed to a different category. So if you want a Cat 6 hotel call Marriott to change the cert.

If you presented a Cat 5 cert to a Cat 6 hotel, the property would not be able to get payment from Marriott. The cert is not points and a Cat 6 hotel would not be reimbursed for something it should not accept and may be sanctioned by Marriott on top of that.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
You can call Marriott to increase the category of the certificate, but you can't change the length. So if you pay 30,000 more points, you can increase the certificate to a 7 night cat 6 cert, but you cannot make it a 6 night or 5 night cert.
Old May 18, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by pointsbrah
I was planning to do a SPG-> Marriot Package conversion for a trip for 2 to Bali on biz class.
But from what I've read it seems that its better to get private villas/apartments in Bali instead of using points for hotels as they are cheap.
Any recommendations on a Cat 5/6/7 hotel that is on or close to a beach somewhere in Asia (or somewhere not too challenging to find/organize award flights to redeem from Toronto)

Planning a trip next year in March and would love a nice relaxing trip by utilizing these packages.Would be my first trip on points
We just did this. Transferred SPG to MR for a cat 5 7-night package with 120K AS miles. We used the cat 5 7-night for Hangzhou JW Marriott next March, then we will pay for Bali accommodation (likely Amankila), then we fly back on CX (100K AS for two in J). We will have two night stopover in HK, and stay at the Ritz on points.

If you have never been to China, consider using the 7-night certificate in Shanghai.

If you want to use Alaska miles to get your CX, you need to get your miles ASAP since flights in March and April 2019 are already available for redemption.
Old May 18, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
I cannot find anything about "express" service and Marriott reps claim to know nothing about it. Can you provide any further info?

Originally Posted by spikeling
For mine:

Alaska Mileage Plan: Ordered 5/11 afternoon; posted 5/11 evening using express service. Got 10K bonus points for the 1 hour long wait to redeem the Travel Package.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by estnet
I cannot find anything about "express" service and Marriott reps claim to know nothing about it. Can you provide any further info?
It's actually on their straight Hotel Points->Miles page. https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morerew.mi
Old May 18, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
I recall reading somewhere that under the new combined program TPs will continue to exist at a similar value but be more streamlined. How do people read this? We're looking at two 120K redemptions, and I just don't see that number going up, only down or the same. From the airline mileage standpoint what are the arguments for holding off on a 120K redemption?
Old May 18, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by flyaxa
It's actually on their straight Hotel Points->Miles page. https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morerew.mi
Thanks - the Marriott person did email me again after I replied that they found it somewhere -

However since 0/3 Plat reps told me about this (despite my asking - I specifically asked if there was any way to expedite the transfer and was told no - and this was before the current melt down) and with the current inability to reach Plat by phone and now a 3-4 day time to get email response don't have much hope of getting much/any service, sigh.......
Old May 18, 2018, 2:52 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by pointsbrah

Just out of curiosity are you doing 2 packages because Bali business class is 120k or more R/T for just 1 person if your using all points.
Old May 18, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Is There an Arbitrage Opportunity in Booking a Marriott Hotel Package before August?

So, I never booked a Marriott Travel Package in my life, but based on the Lurker's response below on the SPG forum, I got thinking...

10. Question on the "floater certificates" being canceled and points redeposited into the account on Aug 1st. Does this include outstanding Marriott Travel packages here: Flight and Hotel Packages Marriott Hotel Packages
Floater certificates, including outstanding Marriott Travel Packages, will be cancelled and converted to equivalent points, credited to the member’s account for future redemption. <added by Starwood Lurker 18May18>

So, if I book, say a 230,000 MR pts for 7 Cat 6 nights package + 50,000 AA miles, am I right in thinking I would get the equivalent of 7x Cat 6 points credited back to my account (7x30k = 210k) and still keep the 50k AA miles? This means that 50k AA miles (or Avios, in my case) would have cost 20k MR points, instead of 120k (considering there'll be a 5k bonus for every 60k pts converted).

Or am I missing something here? There's a likelihood that would map into a lower Category, correct. But from the wording, it looks like it'll be a straight points conversion, and not another 7-night cert (which I don't really like as I prefer to book 5 nights at a time to maximize points).
Old May 18, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Anyone think there is any chance of getting a clear picture of what is happening with the TP's after the deadline before August? I ask as it is so annoying not to know whether to keep the voucher until the deadline or book now. Could really do with some concreate answers.
Old May 18, 2018, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by RafKa
So, I never booked a Marriott Travel Package in my life, but based on the Lurker's response below on the SPG forum, I got thinking...

10. Question on the "floater certificates" being canceled and points redeposited into the account on Aug 1st. Does this include outstanding Marriott Travel packages here: Flight and Hotel Packages Marriott Hotel Packages
Floater certificates, including outstanding Marriott Travel Packages, will be cancelled and converted to equivalent points, credited to the member’s account for future redemption. <added by Starwood Lurker 18May18>

So, if I book, say a 230,000 MR pts for 7 Cat 6 nights package + 50,000 AA miles, am I right in thinking I would get the equivalent of 7x Cat 6 points credited back to my account (7x30k = 210k) and still keep the 50k AA miles? This means that 50k AA miles (or Avios, in my case) would have cost 20k MR points, instead of 120k (considering there'll be a 5k bonus for every 60k pts converted).

Or am I missing something here? There's a likelihood that would map into a lower Category, correct. But from the wording, it looks like it'll be a straight points conversion, and not another 7-night cert (which I don't really like as I prefer to book 5 nights at a time to maximize points).
If your calculation is correct, it would be a STEAL for all of us who should just redeem ALL pt for the travel packages (cat 1-5) especially and with the 120000miles.

It's just so unclear what will happen so I am affraid to make any move other than only redeeming the packages for our Cherry Blossom week at Ritz Kyoto which might even cost me less pt IF I book in Aug. Very frustrating right now because it's so unclear of what is happening.
Old May 18, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by musicscrip

If your calculation is correct, it would be a STEAL for all of us who should just redeem ALL pt for the travel packages (cat 1-5) especially and with the 120000miles.
The more I think about it, the more I think this may be the case, esp with Cat 1-5 packages.

Even if the Certs map into Cat 1 regular rate, you’d be getting 382,500pts worth of pts and miles for 300,000 pts (120k miles = 300k pts + 7 nights @ 7,500pts each).

If certs map into Cat 1 upside would be 82,500pts
If certs map into Cat 2 upside would be 117,500pts
​​​​​​​If certs map into Cat 3 upside would be 152,500pts

​​​​​​​Again, am I missing something here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.