Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select Packages - Deals from the Topic drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hearingdouble
That's a fair challenge. Still, it's the only solution I can think of that's (i) consistent with the limited information provided by Marriott (and the approach to Credit Card certificates), and (ii) semi-logical. I can imagine Marriott taking a hit on outstanding (time limited) certificates on a one-off basis to smooth the transition.
In your scenario, do you think there's any concession for people with the 7 night R-C tier 5 cert which would translate into 420k pts, but within a system where the highest category is 60k per night and fifth night is free? Technically the highest cost of a seven night redemption will be 360k points. I suppose you could book for eight nights but people have enough trouble using all seven nights on a cert as it is so I'd rather get the difference back if that's how things go down.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
The one thing I've been wondering is about paying 30K to upgrade our packages from cat 5 (25k/nt) to cat 6 (30k/nt). It seems like Marriott is too kind (and too smart) to convert a 30k/nt package into a 25k/nt package, so I suspect it would convert into a 35k/nt package (cat 5 under the new scheme). I suspect if we wait until Aug 1, we'll have to pay 60K to upgrade from what will be cat 4 to cat 5; whereas right now we could just pay 30K. I think the harder call is whether to pay 90k to move to a cat 8 (40K/nt under current scheme), hoping it maps onto cat 6 in the new chart. It seems like it would probably work, since converting it to new cat 5 would be taking 5k/nt away from us; but it feels less certain, since the new cat 5 level (35K) would be closer to 40K than the new cat 6 (50k). But of course if it worked, you would get a 90k value for 30k, and it seems likely there will be some sweet cat 6's on the new chart.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UsernameChuck
The one thing I've been wondering is about paying 30K to upgrade our packages from cat 5 (25k/nt) to cat 6 (30k/nt). It seems like Marriott is too kind (and too smart) to convert a 30k/nt package into a 25k/nt package, so I suspect it would convert into a 35k/nt package (cat 5 under the new scheme). I suspect if we wait until Aug 1, we'll have to pay 60K to upgrade from what will be cat 4 to cat 5; whereas right now we could just pay 30K. I think the harder call is whether to pay 90k to move to a cat 8 (40K/nt under current scheme), hoping it maps onto cat 6 in the new chart. It seems like it would probably work, since converting it to new cat 5 would be taking 5k/nt away from us; but it feels less certain, since the new cat 5 level (35K) would be closer to 40K than the new cat 6 (50k). But of course if it worked, you would get a 90k value for 30k, and it seems likely there will be some sweet cat 6's on the new chart.
Pretty sure this is just supporting evidence that the certs will be assigned an equivalent value in points instead of mapped to a category. Too much room to game it if they do the latter.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by UsernameChuck
Good suggestion. I might do the cat-6. After 8/1, if it's cat to cat mapping, cat-6 has good chance to be mapped to new cat-5. That will be a big win. If it's convert to point based cert, I may still be able to get cat-5 next year during off-peak or 5 night cat-6 off peak. Not bad neither.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:15 am

Atlantis Bahamas: Does not accept travel packages??

Originally Posted by Southdown13
I would try calling again. I just booked a 5 night TP for The Cove in March. It took about 35 minutes with MR to get my certificate processed.
Thanks. Good to know. I tried in the evening. Will try during the day; hopefully I will get a better result. What phone number did you call?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH Gold, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by barbh2
Thanks. Good to know. I tried in the evening. Will try during the day; hopefully I will get a better result. What phone number did you call?
Platinum line 800 399-4229. The CSR didn't know how to handle it, so he put me on hold and a supervisor took care of it.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Aero137
I don't think that's how it will be interpreted. They won't be giving points towards a stay, rather defining the eligible property by points cost instead of category.
Agreed. The whole catch with the TP's is that it's a 7-night stay. I don't see them creating a loophole where an "old" Cat 5 TP can become a 3 night stay at a 50k/nt hotel.

The old Cat 5 basically becomes a new Cat 4, and you can upgrade it from there by calling in.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
It's possible to attach a 7 night cert to a 5 night stay, right? I asked for this and Marriott rep acted like I was crazy. Wasnt asking for a 5 night package, was happy to pay the 7 nights rate to get the UA miles but only needed 5 nights.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:06 am
alc

Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
It's possible to attach a 7 night cert to a 5 night stay, right? I asked for this and Marriott rep acted like I was crazy. Wasnt asking for a 5 night package, was happy to pay the 7 nights rate to get the UA miles but only needed 5 nights.
yes, you can attached to any <=7 nights reservation for the correct cat
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
So I was going through the math, and I'm pretty certain there will be a significant devaluation of the travel packages (shocking, I know). The following math is with assuming that Marriott holds true to their word, and most current Cat 5s become Cat 4s or lower under the new program.

If we take a test case of a 100k airline mile transfer (excluding United), this will cost a minimum of 240k MR points under the new program (4x60k MR becoming 4x20k miles, plus 4x5k bonuses). Currently, the Cat 1-5 + 100k Mile package costs 250k MR. Paying 10k for a 7-night stay on top of the transfer just seems too good of a deal.

Yes, I am aware that the current travel packages are actually a discount over the direct MR-> mile transfers, in which the above case would cost a minimum of 280k MR. However, these mile transfers will become a bigger deal to the new program, considering how central it is to many SPG members.

Futhermore, consider that the current SPG Nights + Flights costs 60k Starpoints (180k MR) for a Cat 3 (roughly similar to a Marriott Cat 5), and that only nets you 50k airline miles and 5 nights. You could add the remaining 50k airline miles for a grand total of 100k Starpoints (300k MR).

If I had to guess, I would say that the Cat 1-5 (well Cat 1-4 under the new program) + 100k TP will go up by 50k (20%).
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Agreed. The whole catch with the TP's is that it's a 7-night stay. I don't see them creating a loophole where an "old" Cat 5 TP can become a 3 night stay at a 50k/nt hotel.

The old Cat 5 basically becomes a new Cat 4, and you can upgrade it from there by calling in.
Then how will they handle the non-perfect matching cat? For example, cat-6 TP? Mapping to new cat-5, mapping to new cat-4 and refund the difference?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
SPECULATION:

I did a little math and came up with what I think the Travel Packages will cost in the new program. I calculated this following what seems like the formula for the current program.
For Travel Package #1 :
Category.....50,000.......70,000....100,000....120 ,000
..........1-4.....200000.....220000.....250000.....270000
These are using the Standard Rates from the table on the website. I'll speculate on a few questions everybody will surely have.
1) What about Peak Rates? I believe they will require supplements such as upgrade certificates (e.g., one cert for each 5K point increment).
2) What about Off-Peak Rates? I believe the member will have to eat the value from the TP certificate. I believe this is basically what happens in the current program.
3) What about the significant disparities among properties in any particular category? Again, I'll bet this will be managed through those hotels requiring upgrade certificates. I'm guessing we will see this mostly for those high-end Cat 7 properties and "ultra-premium" properties that will eventually be in Cat 8.

Last edited by WillTravel4Food; Apr 18, 2018 at 11:49 am Reason: Formatting
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by khlay
Then how will they handle the non-perfect matching cat? For example, cat-6 TP? Mapping to new cat-5, mapping to new cat-4 and refund the difference?
They'll have to do a one-time fix on today's cat 6, 8, and 9. The logical thing is that they'd convert them down a half-step and refund some points, knowing that members can always call back in to upgrade their certs.

Or they could map them up a half-step for free, which could be really solid of them. But I'm not expecting that.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
I have now seen confirmation in at least two blogs (that were interviewing marriott execs) that the existing certs will track across at their point value on the current chart, so a cat 1-5 cert that allows you up to category 5 (25,000 points/night) now will only allow you up to category 4 (25,000 points per night) after August 1, so a fairly large devaluation.
If I had been thinking logically about it when I first commented, this is pretty much the only way they could do it. Otherwise, you could pick up a cat 7 package now for 330,000 points and stay in any SPG, RC, or Marriott after Aug 1 because they will all have to be in cat 7 or lower. That would allow you to stay in a top RC that would currently cost 420,000 points or a top StR that would currently cost 630,000 equivalent points for a week, so you would get to stay in these places for less than the point cost (nearly half as much in a few cases) and get 120,000 airline miles as a bonus. There was no way they were going to let that happen.
A tier 4-5 package, at 540,000, will get you into any hotel after August 1 (but before Dec 31), which is a good deal compared to the price now for the top SPG properties (save 90,000 points plus get the miles), but after August 1, those will only cost 360,000 for a week instead of 630,000, so even that is not a good deal.
They seem to have sewn up the travel packages pretty tight. I don't see a way to game them at this point.
I guess the key will be whether or not the hotels will remain at the current categories, or track with their previous levels (ie Category 5 dropping to Category 4) and whether or not they are converting them to category level or total point certificates (which mentioned elsewhere would be valuable if you end up booking at a lower category hotel). I am eyeing a category 4 property for a package (I know not the most profitable way to use it, but the hotel is new and nice and in a location we want to go to). I am trying to decide if it is worth redeeming now for the package and maybe get some benefit (the 7 night certificate gets converted to total points which would be 25K * 6 and the category 4 hotel goes from 20K /night down to 17,500 since there will be no 20K level anymore) when the conversion happens, or just waiting for the shoe to drop.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:49 pm

I appreciate that my views are conjecture (albeit based on common sense and what Marriott has publically said about CC certificates), but a few responses...

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Pretty sure this is just supporting evidence that the certs will be assigned an equivalent value in points instead of mapped to a category. Too much room to game it if they do the latter.
Exactly. Swapping un-redeemed TP certificates on 1 August for points certificates (presumably redeemable only against a single stay) is simple, easy to explain, is consistent with the approach to CC certificates, doesn't require them to "map" new tiers on to old tiers, doesn't cost them too much, doesn't irritate customers, and may even create good will. It's the only sensible solution imho.

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
In your scenario, do you think there's any concession for people with the 7 night R-C tier 5 cert which would translate into 420k pts, but within a system where the highest category is 60k per night and fifth night is free? Technically the highest cost of a seven night redemption will be 360k points. I suppose you could book for eight nights but people have enough trouble using all seven nights on a cert as it is so I'd rather get the difference back if that's how things go down.
Interesting argument -- but given that you'd still be able to redeem for 7 nights at a Tier 5 property (with presumably better availability than now), which is what you originally purchased, I think it would be tough to argue that you're due any kind of refund. If this scenario comes to pass, I would just consider myself fortunate that I might be able to redeem for an additional night.

The whole catch with the TP's is that it's a 7-night stay. I don't see them creating a loophole where an "old" Cat 5 TP can become a 3 night stay at a 50k/nt hotel.
Completely agree that that's the usual 'catch' with TP certificates -- and that that's the basis on which new certificates will almost certainly be sold after 1 August (at whatever new pricing they come up with, which will almost certainly be less attractive than current pricing). But we're talking about a one-time solution to bridge the gap from old MR to new MR -- I see them taking the path of least resistance.

I also don't really see this as a 'loophole' or a significant 'windfall' if this comes to pass. Marriott are effectively swapping something that's worth 150,000 points to them, for something that's worth 150,000 points to them, on a one-off one-time basis (for vouchers that by definition will expire by 31 Aug 2019 at the latest).

They'll have to do a one-time fix on today's cat 6, 8, and 9. The logical thing is that they'd convert them down a half-step and refund some points, knowing that members can always call back in to upgrade their certs.

Or they could map them up a half-step for free, which could be really solid of them. But I'm not expecting that.
Per the above, this is one of the many reasons why I think Marriott will convert all legacy TP certificates to points vouchers. Anything else just gets too messy. Let's not get too wrapped up in the fact that a Cat 5 voucher would map neatly onto Cat 4 -- pretty much none of the other tiers do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.