Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:16 am

Anyone ever use one of the 7-night certs to book a reservation for a friend or family member? Would it be a matter of just adding them as additional guests? Not sure if there would be any issues if they were the only ones to check in.

Thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FrequentlyAFly
Anyone ever use one of the 7-night certs to book a reservation for a friend or family member? Would it be a matter of just adding them as additional guests? Not sure if there would be any issues if they were the only ones to check in.

Thanks!
Transferring the cert (e.g., booking it completely in someone else's name) is allowed.

I've done the Guest 2 thing because it's easy on online award bookings, but only for people like my wife who I trust not to trash a hotel room, empty the minibar, and steal the robes. Well, she might empty the minibar...I can't stop that...
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:25 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I had a very incompetent representative book my package . She was not able to tell me how many miles I would get to AA 270k should be 120 k aa miles. Is there any email address I can email so they can see if she did it right?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Transferring the cert (e.g., booking it completely in someone else's name) is allowed.

I've done the Guest 2 thing because it's easy on online award bookings, but only for people like my wife who I trust not to trash a hotel room, empty the minibar, and steal the robes. Well, she might empty the minibar...I can't stop that...
Awesome, I totally didn't know this was a thing. Thanks! Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do you mind sharing what the mechanics for this are? Do you have to call and ask them to do the booking like this?

EDIT: I saw a few pages up in the thread - someone noted you can do this by calling them:

Originally Posted by CJKatl
There is no prohibition against changing a points reservation, returning the points, putting a different name on the reservation, giving someone a points reservation, etc. Using the second guest "feature" when the first guest will not be staying is against the T&Cs and, perhaps, some local laws. The correct thing to do is make the reservation in the other person's name and use your points to pay. You used to be able to do this easily online but it is now easier to call. The guest listed on a reservation should always be the guest that is staying in the room. The T&Cs state this over and over. Someone recently posted that his account was closed for putting himself as the guest when he was not staying in the property, and I recently had a property reach out to me when I made a reservation for someone else letting me know my name would need to be removed. Here is part of the email from the hotel manager:

It was late and my sister had dropped off the phone. We intended to call back the next day, which we did, to change everything, but the hotel manager sent us this before we called back.

Yes, people get away with listing someone who will not be staying in the room as the primary guest, and in the case of a points reservation since you could accomplish the same thing without having the person listed as a guest the hotel is not likely to care, but if the cert cannot be transferred the hotel might push the issue. In other words, if you cannot transfer the cert trying to accomplish the same thing by listing a second guest is not going to be within the rules.

ADDED: Just had to call MR about something else so I asked... The TP cert is in the member's name but it can be used to pay for a reservation in anyone else's name. The reservation should be made in the name of the person staying and the giver should not and need not be on the reservation.
​​​​​​​

Last edited by FrequentlyAFly; Apr 17, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
AA is currently running a hotel points to miles conversion bonus promo, but Marriott hotel + air packages are excluded
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...s-to-miles.jsp
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by SC Alum
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but award nights do not count towards elite qualifying nights for Marriott rewards program. Has it changed?
Award nights do count towards qualifying status... at least as of now they do.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma368
I agree that this is the most likely outcome. In likelihood, the new Category 5, while more expensive in points, will contain more or less the same hotels as the current Category 5. So for those of us with certs, our certs can still book the same hotels as now even though those hotels have increased in points cost.

It's hard, but not impossible, to see a situation where our certs lose value in these changes. They could change the certs to only apply to Categories 1-4 in the new award chart which could actually be a much smaller number of Marriott hotels than the current Category 1-5. I think they would avoid doing this though. It's also possible to see these certs increase in the value if they continue to be allowed for the new Cat 1-5 categories and the new Category 5 actually contains better hotels than the current Category 5.

I'd say in likelihood, it will be a wash or maybe a slight increase in value. Unlikely to be worse. There probably aren't enough of these certs on the books to justify the stink it would cause to devalue these certs.
I have now seen confirmation in at least two blogs (that were interviewing marriott execs) that the existing certs will track across at their point value on the current chart, so a cat 1-5 cert that allows you up to category 5 (25,000 points/night) now will only allow you up to category 4 (25,000 points per night) after August 1, so a fairly large devaluation.
If I had been thinking logically about it when I first commented, this is pretty much the only way they could do it. Otherwise, you could pick up a cat 7 package now for 330,000 points and stay in any SPG, RC, or Marriott after Aug 1 because they will all have to be in cat 7 or lower. That would allow you to stay in a top RC that would currently cost 420,000 points or a top StR that would currently cost 630,000 equivalent points for a week, so you would get to stay in these places for less than the point cost (nearly half as much in a few cases) and get 120,000 airline miles as a bonus. There was no way they were going to let that happen.
A tier 4-5 package, at 540,000, will get you into any hotel after August 1 (but before Dec 31), which is a good deal compared to the price now for the top SPG properties (save 90,000 points plus get the miles), but after August 1, those will only cost 360,000 for a week instead of 630,000, so even that is not a good deal.
They seem to have sewn up the travel packages pretty tight. I don't see a way to game them at this point.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Whether there's a huge devaluation, a small devaluation, or no devaluation in 2018 depends entirely upon how the hotels are mapped into the new categories.

Had Marriott just merged existing categories of the two programs and done nothing, there would have been FIFTEEN different levels. Clearly, that's a confusing mess. I personally thought they'd consolidate to 10-12; instead they went all the way down to 8.

My first concern with going to only 8 is that it means a bunch of hotels are going to map across in theory to some sort of "half-level". We know those will probably bump up, leading to what I expect to be the small devaluation. The question is whether Marriott will properly move hotels into a full lower category where the mapping *isn't* on a "half-level". For example, on August 1st, every one of today's MR Cat 5's should become a Cat 4. If that happens, then your Travel Package did not devalue. If they do not do this - if they use the consolidation of levels as cover to leave today Cat 5 as tomorrow's Cat 5, then yeah...this is going to be a bloodbath of a devaluation. Marriott has hinted that a bunch of properties are going down a level, so it's possible that the Cat 4/5 area will be treated fairly and they'll just soak us on the high end.

My second concern is the introduction of Peak/Non-Peak. Most locations in the world have a few truly peak weeks, but hotel programs are prone to calling half the damn year "peak" once this structure is in place. That makes whole months of non-peak time pretty unattractive for awards because you're still paying the max-peak award rates.
Brendan, jsloan and dsquared37 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:02 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by SC Alum
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but award nights do not count towards elite qualifying nights for Marriott rewards program. Has it changed?
Yes award nights count.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
I just read the Starwood announcement and this is what it says:
  • The new consolidated free night Award Chart offers 8 Categories with off-peak, standard and peak pricing. Category 8, off-peak and peak won’t roll out until early 2019. Hotels slated for Category 8 will be in Category 7 until that point, offering a 25,000 points per night savings!
How does this new policy effect currently held travel packages (based on tiers)?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
+1 Some combination of Enigma, Farnorth & Pinniped above! Next: If Marriott ever issues anymore mid-level freebies to MegaBonus participants &or Visa cardmembers, what will be the maximum category? I hope it's New 5 but expect New 4!!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by icydog
I just read the Starwood announcement and this is what it says:
How does this new policy effect currently held travel packages (based on tiers)?
My interpretation based on what I've read so far:

- Redeem your TP by August 1st for a Ritz at current levels. Stay can take place later.

or

- On August 1st, the certificate converts to its underlying points value and you can redeem it at any hotel in the portfolio for that number of points.

Example: You have a Tier 3 cert sitting in your account. You're basically getting a 300,000 point Ritz stay for that. (6 nights x 50k) That converts to a Category 6 cert in the new program. On Aug 1, you're freed from Ritz...redeem it at St. Regis or wherever else you like.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan
+1 Some combination of Enigma, Farnorth & Pinniped above! Next: If Marriott ever issues anymore mid-level freebies to MegaBonus participants &or Visa cardmembers, what will be the maximum category? I hope it's New 5 but expect New 4!!
The credit card pages spells out the free nights available with each specific card. It will vary, but the net effect is good news (IMHO) - the premium Amex with a $150 net annual fee includes a "new" Category 6 cert, which should be a lot of today's Cat 7-ish Marriotts and Cat 5-ish Starwoods. Better hotels than Marriott Cat 5 for sure. Everyday spending earnings got nerfed; free night bennie got better.

Megabonus feels like it's going to be Category 4. I'd be shocked if we were getting "new" 5's out of Megabonus (unless Megabonii get tougher than 2-stays-earn-1).
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
I have now seen confirmation in at least two blogs (that were interviewing marriott execs) that the existing certs will track across at their point value on the current chart, so a cat 1-5 cert that allows you up to category 5 (25,000 points/night) now will only allow you up to category 4 (25,000 points per night) after August 1, so a fairly large devaluation.
This is confirmed for CC free nights in the FAQ section of members.marriott.com:
I have a Free Night Certificate from a Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards credit card. Can I use it at an SPG hotel (or vice versa) after August?

Members may book a redemption reservation with an existing Free Night Certificate under the current terms up until August 2018, even if the arrival date is after August 2018. Starting in August, any outstanding Certificates will be updated from Category-based to points-based values in the new combined redemption chart and may be used for stays at Rewards or SPG hotels up to the points value displayed on your updated Certificate. For example, you will be able to apply a Marriott Rewards Free Night Certificate to an SPG stay, or an SPG Free Night Award to a Marriott Rewards stay. Ritz-Carlton Rewards Free Night Certificates can also be applied to Marriott Rewards and SPG hotels.
I assume this will apply to MegaBonus and TPs as well.

Regarding your devaluation comment: No one can really comment on the scale of the devaluation until the new lists are posted. They are making it sound like the categories will track to points value, not category. So (in general) Cat 5s will become 4s. Now, of course they will take the opportunity to adjust some up as they see fit, but the comment was made that most properties are going down in points cost.

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
They seem to have sewn up the travel packages pretty tight. I don't see a way to game them at this point.
So Cat 1-5 packages will map to Cat 1-4, Cat 7 will map to Cat 5. That will be pretty straight forward.

Less clear will be Tier 1-3 packages, but will probably allow redemption at up to Cat 6.

But what happens to Cat 6, 8, & 9 which values are between levels? And Tier 4-5 which value higher than the 8/1-12/31 chart. Refund of points?
Brendan likes this.

Last edited by Aero137; Apr 17, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Aero137
This is confirmed for CC free nights in the FAQ section of members.marriott.com:

I assume this will apply to MegaBonus and TPs as well.

Regarding your devaluation comment: No one can really comment on the scale of the devaluation until the new lists are posted. They are making it sound like the categories will track to points value, not category. So (in general) Cat 5s will become 4s. Now, of course they will take the opportunity to adjust some up as they see fit, but the comment was made that most properties are going down in points cost.

So Cat 1-5 packages will map to Cat 1-4, Cat 7 will map to Cat 5. That will be pretty straight forward.

Less clear will be Tier 1-3 packages, but will probably allow redemption at up to Cat 6.

But what happens to Cat 6, 8, & 9 which values are between levels? And Tier 4-5 which value higher than the 8/1-12/31 chart. Refund of points?
Curious about this too. I have a Ritz 4-5 cert and I'm not sure what will happen to it. I hope there's communication about this soon. If all the current properties cap at Cat7 from August to December there really should be a partial point refund on the cert because it's worth seven nights at properties that currently sit at 70k per night. Only other option I see is that those properties could be constantly set at the Cat7 peak pricing for that period.
Brendan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.