Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:18 pm

My mother-in-law is a member of their MVC. Is it possible for them to help me book a 5 day hotel n flight pckg with my account and points?

Last edited by pao2dapao; Apr 16, 2018 at 3:32 pm
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:29 pm
Suspended

So seems to me, based on the new award chart (which becomes effective August), for people currently holding a Cat 1-5 7 night certificate, those just became extremely more valuable. I think Marriott dropped the ball on that and didn't think about that. They're about to get spanked.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ScroogeMcDuck
So seems to me, based on the new award chart (which becomes effective August), for people currently holding a Cat 1-5 7 night certificate, those just became extremely more valuable. I think Marriott dropped the ball on that and didn't think about that. They're about to get spanked.
Nope. My guess is that they will convert these certificates the same way they are going to convert free night credit card certificates.
Members may book a redemption reservation with an existing Free Night Certificate under the current terms up until August 2018, even if the arrival date is after August 2018. Starting in August, any outstanding Certificates will be updated from Category-based to points-based values in the new combined redemption chart and may be used for stays at Rewards or SPG hotels up to the points value displayed on your updated Certificate. For example, you will be able to apply a Marriott Rewards Free Night Certificate to an SPG stay, or an SPG Free Night Award to a Marriott Rewards stay. Ritz-Carlton Rewards Free Night Certificates can also be applied to Marriott Rewards and SPG hotels.
FAQ
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Explain? I think that also assumes old marriott TP categories do not have an adjustment when mapping to the new cats.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The official Marriott page doesn't refer to the Travel Packages, but I've now read a couple of the bloggers who have interviewed Marriott execs - they're all saying the TP's stay in some form.

So my guess is that there will be an adjustment on August 1st for any certificate sitting in your account that isn't already attached to a hotel stay. They just haven't officially said it yet.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I just am so damn curious about what the price changes are gonna be. Yeah they said more hotels will drop than will rise, but I'll believe it when I see it. God I hope travel packages stay alive and lucrative...
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:41 pm

No idea how you came up with this. If you currently have a category 5 cert and book a category 5 hotel, you will get a 7 night stay in a category 5 hotel. After the massive devaluation, if you use your category 5 cert, you will get to stay 7 nights in a category 5 hotel. That is exactly the same value. The only difference is that Marriott is going to devalue their points, so you will (hopefully) get the benefit of 210,000 devalued points instead of 150,000 points at their current value. Potentially, if some of the comments are correct, you may even get screwed out of that, if they convert the 7 nights in a category 5 to 150,000 points of value based on their current chart and have to spend that certificate under their new chart, in which case you will only get 5 nights at that same category 5 hotel.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
No idea how you came up with this. If you currently have a category 5 cert and book a category 5 hotel, you will get a 7 night stay in a category 5 hotel. After the massive devaluation, if you use your category 5 cert, you will get to stay 7 nights in a category 5 hotel. That is exactly the same value. The only difference is that Marriott is going to devalue their points, so you will (hopefully) get the benefit of 210,000 devalued points instead of 150,000 points at their current value. Potentially, if some of the comments are correct, you may even get screwed out of that, if they convert the 7 nights in a category 5 to 150,000 points of value based on their current chart and have to spend that certificate under their new chart, in which case you will only get 5 nights at that same category 5 hotel.
I agree that this is the most likely outcome. In likelihood, the new Category 5, while more expensive in points, will contain more or less the same hotels as the current Category 5. So for those of us with certs, our certs can still book the same hotels as now even though those hotels have increased in points cost.

It's hard, but not impossible, to see a situation where our certs lose value in these changes. They could change the certs to only apply to Categories 1-4 in the new award chart which could actually be a much smaller number of Marriott hotels than the current Category 1-5. I think they would avoid doing this though. It's also possible to see these certs increase in the value if they continue to be allowed for the new Cat 1-5 categories and the new Category 5 actually contains better hotels than the current Category 5.

I'd say in likelihood, it will be a wash or maybe a slight increase in value. Unlikely to be worse. There probably aren't enough of these certs on the books to justify the stink it would cause to devalue these certs.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:18 pm
alc

If they do go with a point-based travel package, i would if it does make someone can stay for just a few nights only or > 7 nights up to the amount that your points allowance on the cert. If this is indeed the case, which might not be bad over all as every year for the last few years, I always end up using a 7-night cert on a 5-night stay while using a few 7-night certs for 2 to 3 weeks at a CAT 3. In those cases, the new rule might benefit me to allow me staying a high CAT for the 5 night and using a less cert for the long CAT 3 stay.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma368
I agree that this is the most likely outcome. In likelihood, the new Category 5, while more expensive in points, will contain more or less the same hotels as the current Category 5. So for those of us with certs, our certs can still book the same hotels as now even though those hotels have increased in points cost.

It's hard, but not impossible, to see a situation where our certs lose value in these changes. They could change the certs to only apply to Categories 1-4 in the new award chart which could actually be a much smaller number of Marriott hotels than the current Category 1-5. I think they would avoid doing this though. It's also possible to see these certs increase in the value if they continue to be allowed for the new Cat 1-5 categories and the new Category 5 actually contains better hotels than the current Category 5.

I'd say in likelihood, it will be a wash or maybe a slight increase in value. Unlikely to be worse. There probably aren't enough of these certs on the books to justify the stink it would cause to devalue these certs.
I am not sure if I read the new reward chart correctly. I booked a Ritz tier 5 hotel at 70000pt per night for next March but now the chart shows highest cat in Aug will only cost 60000pt? So that means I lost out on 10000pt per night? I used the travel package so I don't know how I can get my points back now cuz I redeemed the package already.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by musicscrip

I am not sure if I read the new reward chart correctly. I booked a Ritz tier 5 hotel at 70000pt per night for next March but now the chart shows highest cat in Aug will only cost 60000pt? So that means I lost out on 10000pt per night? I used the travel package so I don't know how I can get my points back now cuz I redeemed the package already.

I would be surprised if all the R-C Tier 4/5 properties end up at 60K. I can imagine them sticking those kinds of properties along with St. Regis at the 70K peak rate for Cat7 temporarily, even though the peak pricing isn't going to be a thing until 2019. Dropping them to 60K until Cat8 exists would allow for some pretty ridiculous redemptions like the R-C Tokyo for 5 nights for 240K MR.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:02 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Do the nights from the package count toward status?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:24 am
alc

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Do the nights from the package count toward status?
yes, it does count toward elite qualifying nights.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
I have a cat 9 marriott 7 night cert in my acct... do i downgrade it to cat 1-5 and get the points back or keep it a cat 9?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by alc
yes, it does count toward elite qualifying nights.
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but award nights do not count towards elite qualifying nights for Marriott rewards program. Has it changed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.