Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by CJKatl
And no, my friend didn't pay for my lunch so it cannot be interpreted as selling the points, but dontchya think she should have? I gaMyFlyerTalkve her and her husband about $600 worth of hotel stays. You would think she would pick up a $15 lunch tab. And the other friend at lunch has also used my points and will be using them in a few weeks. No paying for my lunch there, either. These are friends of 32 and 36 years who are more like family, but still, now that I think about it....
Time to fire these "friends" imo
margarita girl and CJKatl like this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by nli007
Time to fire these "friends" imo
I booked a TP directly into a friends name (no 2nd guest bs), and the 7 nights went to my account as stay credit... Not sure how much value there is there but I'm happy to do this for friends/family when I know I won't be able to utilize the TP. Wish the current spg/mr program would stay as it is...
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by moops380
I booked a TP directly into a friends name (no 2nd guest bs), and the 7 nights went to my account as stay credit... Not sure how much value there is there but I'm happy to do this for friends/family when I know I won't be able to utilize the TP. Wish the current spg/mr program would stay as it is...
Same here. My wife redeemed a couple Travel Packages, but made the reservation in my name for the first and in my parent's name for the second. Both credits went to her account, even though my number was placed on the first reservation by the hotel to give the Platinum amenities.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Go with what the others say then and not with my post as far as nights' credit. Since I have been LTP for years I stopped monitoring my nights. Maybe I have gotten the credit and not noticed. I thought you need to be in the hotel to get the credit, but if others have consistently been given the credit maybe I am wrong. Sorry about that.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Quick question and I apologize if the answer is already buried somewhere in this thread. When you buy a Travel Package or transfer miles to an airline (UA), do those points get subtracted from your Lifetime total?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Quick question and I apologize if the answer is already buried somewhere in this thread. When you buy a Travel Package or transfer miles to an airline (UA), do those points get subtracted from your Lifetime total?
No.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:26 am

I am short 50k points for the hotel and air travel package. I need to wait for my statement closing date on April 23rd and then for chase to transfer the points to Marriot in order to have 270k points.
Do I need to wait till I have the total 270k points in my Marriot account to book the travel package?
Or can Marriott wait for a couple of weeks for the rest of the transferred points?

I am wondering if I should do this b4 the announcement
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by metoo
I am short 50k points for the hotel and air travel package. I need to wait for my statement closing date on April 23rd and then for chase to transfer the points to Marriot in order to have 270k points.
Do I need to wait till I have the total 270k points in my Marriot account to book the travel package?
Or can Marriott wait for a couple of weeks for the rest of the transferred points?

I am wondering if I should do this b4 the announcement
You MUST have all points in your account before you call and order the hotel and air travel package. However, you can make reservation 1y ahead of time for the hotels 7 nights of your wish if the dates are available.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:41 am

Thanks. So much for that. Just hoping if there should be change to the Marriott travel package, it won't happen till August 2018.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't believe the TP's will die today. I have 270k in my account right now, and I'm not calling yet.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet on this:
- TP's will survive, but it'll be in some lame form that isn't as good as it is now.
- It'll eventually be done entirely online, but we'll lose the free 2nd-year extension.
- We'll have until August (?) to pull the trigger on a "legacy" (Category-based) TP, but if we ever call to extend or change it after that, it will turn into the new, lame form.
- There will be some sort of hard end date on Category-based TP's - as in, the stay must finish by August 2019. No way to extend it or category-upgrade it after that point.

So the "bet" I'm placing is simply that I'm not on the phone with Marriott literally right now. From what I understand, the hold time is like 2 hours anyway, as people are panicking and redeeming their points.

I hope I'm not wrong.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by metoo
Thanks. So much for that. Just hoping if there should be change to the Marriott travel package, it won't happen till August 2018.
The answer is accurate, and I do not believe the TP will be weekend-BOGOed on us and yanked away immediately with no notice, but...

Several years ago I was afraid hopper awards were going away so I called Marriott. I did not ask for this, but the phone agent gave me a "goodwill" gift equal to the points I was short. In other words, a phone call cannot hurt. Good luck.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by pinniped
I don't believe the TP's will die today. I have 270k in my account right now, and I'm not calling yet.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet on this:
- TP's will survive, but it'll be in some lame form that isn't as good as it is now.
- It'll eventually be done entirely online, but we'll lose the free 2nd-year extension.
- We'll have until August (?) to pull the trigger on a "legacy" (Category-based) TP, but if we ever call to extend or change it after that, it will turn into the new, lame form.
- There will be some sort of hard end date on Category-based TP's - as in, the stay must finish by August 2019. No way to extend it or category-upgrade it after that point.

So the "bet" I'm placing is simply that I'm not on the phone with Marriott literally right now. From what I understand, the hold time is like 2 hours anyway, as people are panicking and redeeming their points.

I hope I'm not wrong.
Perspicacious as always.I wonder what the logic of gutting the outstanding feature of MR might be, but then again I'm not running a loyalty program. If they do this, and implement things like PQD at all levels and suite/lounge lockouts for < 75 nights, it will merely show that they've learnt nothing from the WoH debacle.

I figured that Hyatt killing its loyalty program would serve as an instructive lesson to others. I hope that Marriott doesn't prove me wrong on this score.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Perspicacious...
Public Service Announcement for those like me...

If you highlight the word and right click you will not get an option to look up this word in dictionary when using Windows. If you look up the word in Google, though, which will be an option, the definition will appear in a new tab, not a pop-up.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Perspicacious as always.I wonder what the logic of gutting the outstanding feature of MR might be, but then again I'm not running a loyalty program. If they do this, and implement things like PQD at all levels and suite/lounge lockouts for < 75 nights, it will merely show that they've learnt nothing from the WoH debacle.

I figured that Hyatt killing its loyalty program would serve as an instructive lesson to others. I hope that Marriott doesn't prove me wrong on this score.
Is there evidence that Hyatt is hurting from the change in policies? I fear the lack of truly bad news or reversals out of that program means Marriott has learned exactly the wrong lesson here.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't follow the FT Hyatt board close enough to know the whole fallout from their changes. I was never HY Diamond...I've had HY Plat (which isn't a real status) thanks to the credit card, and now have some silly name I can't remember. (Discoverer?) I keep the CC for the free annual night and end up there for maybe 2 award stays and 1 paid stay per year.

The only intrigue (to me) for a low-tier member is that getting to 4 confirmed lounge upgrades per year seems pretty easy. Since Hyatt lounges are generally good and often present at resorts, that makes it potentially a good reason to throw some business stays their way. I probably would not exceed 4 leisure stays per year. I don't know who felt like they got hit hard in that program change: people who barely made Diamond under the old rules or people who do 100+ nights. I know they added a tier, so I assume if you can hit the top tier you're okay.

It's beginning to look like Hyatt will be the brand for those interested in aspirational stays in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.