Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by stargold
A quick sense check - Is it true that you can't upgrade a Marriott TP cert to a Ritz-Carlton cert? I.e. if I already have a Cat 1-5, I can't upgrade it to Tier 1-3?
Why shouldn't you? If you pay the point difference the MR hotline should be able to issue the new RC cert.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by funkbandit
Why shouldn't you? If you pay the point difference the MR hotline should be able to issue the new RC cert.
I can't recall exactly where, but I saw somewhere (possibly on this thread) that if you want a RC cert, it needs to be issued as an RC cert from the start. If that's not true, works great for me!
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped
I've used 3 TPs in Hawaii over the years, and I think all of them were 6 nights actually sleeping in the room. Since the flights head back to the mainland at night, it's nice to have a room all day on the 7th day, shower at the end of the day, and go to the airport. When I land on the mainland, I phone the front desk and let them know I'm out of the room.

In any case, yes, big part of the Travel Package value is the effective 1:1 airline miles. That's why I always do them at the 120k (or more, if you're a United person) level.

You can book your award room now and keep earning the points needed for the TP all the way up until close to the stay itself. (If that helps you climb the ladder from 50k miles to a higher level)
Great... thank you for the advice. Our flight is at 11am (only going to the west coast) so we wouldn't need the room on the day we check out. But, I might still consider the TP if I can get enough Marriot points to make the transfer to airline miles worth it. Thanks again!
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
To share a data point, did an Air + Hotel Package with Virgin Atlantic. Points posted the next morning. Very pleased, especially because I was told it would take 3 business days.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Amex, ThankYou, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, SPG, SQ
DP Confirming Expiration Date Extension

Just want to offer a recent data point confirming that Marriott will still extend the expiration date for the 7-night travel certificates if you call them and ask.

I had a 7-night certificate from a travel package that was set to expire tomorrow (6, Jan '18) so I called them tonight (5, Jan '18) at about 10p CST. I spoke with an agent and simply said that I was wanting to see if I could get them to extend the expiration date of my 7-night stay certificate. When she took a look she commented saying "oh yeah it expires tomorrow" so she put me on hold for a few minutes and when she came back she told me that she had reissued the certificate to me with a new expiration date of 1 year from the day I called so 5, January 2019. :-)
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:39 am

If Marriott account #1 and Marriott account #2 each individually have enough points to book a travel package can points still be transferred between these accounts when booking said package?

For example if Marriott account #1 had 270k points and Marriott account #2 had 270k points could 135k points still be transferred from #1 to #2 when booking the travel package? (Effectively splitting the cost of a 270k point travel package and leaving 135k left in both accounts.)
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by mster
If Marriott account #1 and Marriott account #2 each individually have enough points to book a travel package can points still be transferred between these accounts when booking said package?

For example if Marriott account #1 had 270k points and Marriott account #2 had 270k points could 135k points still be transferred from #1 to #2 when booking the travel package? (Effectively splitting the cost of a 270k point travel package and leaving 135k left in both accounts.)
Just transfer the points to #2 leaving it with 405k points, then book the package with that account? In the end they will be 135k each.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by moops380
Just transfer the points to #2 leaving it with 405k points, then book the package with that account? In the end they will be 135k each.
Yes, that is exactly what I asked if it was possible to do. My concern is the 50k Marriott transfer limit (I don't want to use an SPG to SPG transfer).

To put my question another way is it possible to make a Marriott transfer > 50k for an award even if there are already enough points for said award in the account receiving the transfer?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:36 am

Yes, that is exactly what I asked if it was possible to do. My concern is the 50k Marriott transfer limit (I don't want to use an SPG to SPG transfer).

To put my question another way is it possible to make a Marriott transfer > 50k for an award even if there are already enough points for said award in the account receiving the transfer?
If this is a spousal transaction, then you can make a fake booking for 135k points in the account you want to make the travel package from. Then call in to order the TP. They will start by transferring the 50k points allowed, then make another transaction to top up the account. After the order, you can cancel the dummy booking.

I can't remember the rules for topping up for a booking, but I believe it is only allowed for spouses. So if you are just a couple friends, then I think you are out of luck. Someone else may know that answer better than I.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:59 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
yes; but if you're so concerned just make a dummy award booking to drawdown the account

Brendan and mster like this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Srisarin
yes; but if you're so concerned just make a dummy award booking to drawdown the account
Perfect solution. Thanks!
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
The T&Cs for the old-school top-off transfers have always said "spouse," but MR has always done them for any friend. I did a few with friends living in other States and even Canada!
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:58 pm

I just called to renew my week cert. Before it said 7 night cert 300k point value. After she renewed it, it says "P870 PARTIAL PKG-CAT 6" 75000 point value. Should I be concerned?

Edit: Called back and they said since I already got he airline miles, this just means what's left is the hotel part of the package and it's still good for 7 nights at the category 6 I requested.

Last edited by corpgator; Jan 7, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:29 am

Marriott has been stupid but accommodating every time. I always make a dummy booking to drain the points first, otherwise they try to stop you with the 50k transfer limit per year. The policy is no transfer limit if the points are for a booking. Make the transfer and booking over the phone and then go cancel your random dummy bookings that you used to drain your account.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
Can you still refund an unused 7 night certificate for some number of points returned to your account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.