Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Cert expires 1/4/2018. I want to extend it a year and use it for 11/25/2018 - 12/1/2018 so I don't really see any need.

I would rather just extend the cert and make the booking the same day
The idea is that you'll get a confirmed booking now as opposed to later. Certs come from the same pool of rooms as points, so if they're not available later you'll miss out. I also prefer booking on the website, making sure all details are ok, then feeding the booking # to the CSR at the time. That way there shouldn't be any mistakes by them.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by viracocha
The idea is that you'll get a confirmed booking now as opposed to later. Certs come from the same pool of rooms as points, so if they're not available later you'll miss out. I also prefer booking on the website, making sure all details are ok, then feeding the booking # to the CSR at the time. That way there shouldn't be any mistakes by them.
Plus you lock in the category in case of an increase.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:17 pm

Has anyone successfully extended a 5 night travel package not being a vacation club member ? I am was able to book a 5 night package last year but when I called to extend the 5-night award ,I was asked to call the vacation club. Confused.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:32 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by runnnerdude2k2
I was asked to call the vacation club. Confused.
My guess is that you've been caught up in Marriott's attempt at cracking down on 5 night TP awards. And probably one of the ways Marriott is trying to crack down on only MVCI owners getting them is to have MVCI agents be the only ones that can manage them.

It sounds like you were "lucky" (or maybe not as the case may be) in getting one last year without being an MVCI owner. But it doesn't sound like you are going to be as successful in getting them to extend it. You can keep calling in and trying, but based on other posts where it sounds like Marriott has plugged the MVCI hole, don't get your hopes up too far. I'd suggest having a backup plan to actual use the cert before it expires just in case you can't get Marriott to extend it.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by viracocha
I am going to extend the cert and book the room the first day those dates in 2018 open up.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand the difference between extending my cert on 12/11/17 and booking on December 11, 2017 with the cert as opposed to points, that would be the first day that 11/25/18 - 12/1/18 is available to book so I can't do it any sooner.

I'm guessing the TP reservation will show up in my account as soon a as it's booked by the agent so can't I just confirm the details at that point to make sure it's correct ?

Last edited by flyer4512; Nov 20, 2017 at 12:56 pm
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
With a 7 night certificate can you combine them with cash for a better room. With some hotels when booking points you can do points plus cash to get a executive room or even suite and wondered if you can do this using the certificates to?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:16 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
With a 7 night certificate can you combine them with cash for a better room. With some hotels when booking points you can do points plus cash to get a executive room or even suite and wondered if you can do this using the certificates to?
As long as the hotel is offering "upgraded" award rooms, then no problem. The 7 night certificate is no different than any other award room cert. If the hotel has an oceanfront room available for award plus say 4 upgrade certs per night or say $100 cash per night, then your 7 night cert (assuming it meets the category requirements of that hotel) will work for the base room and you just need the points for the upgrade certs or pay the cash.
Brendan likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:05 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone shed any light on the ability to book SPG properties using these travel package vouchers ??

Is it possible ??

I've heard a rumour it is.. !

Thanks
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Not possible to my knowledge, and I doubt it will be until the merger is complete.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:19 pm

oh right - will they even still honour the vouchers though at that time (after the merger) ??, as the category system and points currency may change once SPG properties are fully integrated right ?
Brendan likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by drmish1
oh right - will they even still honour the vouchers though at that time (after the merger) ??, as the category system and points currency may change once SPG properties are fully integrated right ?
I would be beyond shocked if they actually stopped honoring the vouchers after the merger. That said, there is every chance that there will be major changes in the lineup after the merger - perhaps the addition of extra categories leading to an effective devaluation of the certificates. I don't anticipate a change in the points currency, but I suppose lots of things are theoretically possible.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
You may need to upgrade the 7 day certificates if there are category changes that make the property more expensive to redeem in the future. My personal belief is that you are better off redeeming for the lowest room category. It is always easy to pay the difference later if you need a higher room category versus trying to downgrade the room certificate later.
Brendan likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by VA1379
You may need to upgrade the 7 day certificates if there are category changes that make the property more expensive to redeem in the future. My personal belief is that you are better off redeeming for the lowest room category. It is always easy to pay the difference later if you need a higher room category versus trying to downgrade the room certificate later.
I have been successful in both upgrading and downgrading these certificates... all it takes is a phone call to do either.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I have been successful in both upgrading and downgrading these certificates... all it takes is a phone call to do either.
People have reported issues in the past trying to downgrade, whereas upgrading is always an easy thing.

That's why everybody around here suggests redeeming Cat 5 TPs if you don't know where you're going to stay. That said, it's good to hear at least one anecdote of someone who's had success going the other direction. Maybe a HUACA thing...or maybe something they'll do only for Plats or PPs?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
Last month I redeemed a 5 day Marriott travel package and today I received the 25K United bonus miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.