Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Hi Guys,

Two questions:

1) Has Alaska ever offered a bonus for transferring hotel points to miles that can be used with Marriott travel packages?

2) Now that Aeroplan is excluding travel packages from their transfer bonus, is it unlikely they will allow it again in the future e.g. have they or another program had this exclusion before and then subsequently removed it for a similar promo later on?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I believe the certificate just goes back in your account to use in the future. It doesn't cancel the certificate-just the hotel.
Definitely not always the case - not sure what causes one or the other since I've had it both ways. But when cancelling online on multiple occasions I've had the points returned at the rate of 45k + any extra paid for the upgrades. However, while this user might find benefit in getting these points back, I've found it annoying because I then have to call them to get the certificate re-instated instead of getting the points back.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:21 pm

Is this the correct link to register for Marriott transfer bonus?
https://promotions.united.com/offers/p2m

It shows only Club Carlson and Choice and I am getting error registration that my mileage number is invalid or not eligible.The page looks to be messed up anyway displaying "enjoy {{ BONUS _ VALUE}}% .
Strange.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
From the UA email:

https://promotions.united.com/offers...b50d3fd36d0001
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I just tried to register using Margarita Girl's link, but both my & my buddy's accounts are "not eligible for this offer." !
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very odd. It's not a targeted offer AFAIK.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aha, just saw this. Sounds like a temporary glitch!

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...istration.html
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:50 pm

Yes it looks they fixed the link.Thank you.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:01 pm

I have a hotel cert that is expiring. I believe you can extend the cert a year. I already know what week I want to use the cert in 2018.

Am I better off calling to extend the cert and then booking the hotel in one phone call or is a new cert issued and I would be better off getting the new cert in hand and then booking the hotel ?

Thanks

BTW, is anybody else having problems with the WIKI under the new forum layout. I can not read the entire WIKI, I tried Chrome And FF
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by flyer4512
I have a hotel cert that is expiring. I believe you can extend the cert a year. I already know what week I want to use the cert in 2018.

Am I better off calling to extend the cert and then booking the hotel in one phone call or is a new cert issued and I would be better off getting the new cert in hand and then booking the hotel ?

Thanks

BTW, is anybody else having problems with the WIKI under the new forum layout. I can not read the entire WIKI, I tried Chrome And FF
You can extend and book in 1 phone call. Should not be a problem at all.

I am struggling with the new format in many aspects. And yes, seems the last sentence of the wiki does not display correctly for me also.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:54 am

I would make the booking on points first, then when you call in to extend it you can apply the cert to that booking at that time.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
You can extend and book in 1 phone call. Should not be a problem at all.

I am struggling with the new format in many aspects. And yes, seems the last sentence of the wiki does not display correctly for me also.
Thanks. I don't like the new format at all

Originally Posted by viracocha
I would make the booking on points first, then when you call in to extend it you can apply the cert to that booking at that time.
Why book on points ? I am booking 11 months out.

Last edited by flyer4512; Nov 19, 2017 at 2:53 pm
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:54 pm
alc

Why book on points ? I am booking 11 months out.
I think what viracocha meant is to make a regular points booking online first "without using any points" since Marriott allow that. You can then attached the cert later on, or just when the cert expire. If you have a high balance of Marriott points now, make some dummy booking to use up the points first or transfer them over to your SPG account.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
is anybody else having problems with the WIKI under the new forum layout.
Just one more piece of untested and poorly-designed code.
flyer4512 and CodeAdam10 like this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by alc
I think what viracocha meant is to make a regular points booking online first "without using any points" since Marriott allow that. You can then attached the cert later on, or just when the cert expire. If you have a high balance of Marriott points now, make some dummy booking to use up the points first or transfer them over to your SPG account.
Cert expires 1/4/2018. I want to extend it a year and use it for 11/25/2018 - 12/1/2018 so I don't really see any need.

I would rather just extend the cert and make the booking the same day

Last edited by flyer4512; Nov 19, 2017 at 6:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.