Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ponickka
I really appreciate the feedback on this. Never thought or looked into AS.

How easy and accessible is AS to redeem 4 tix (econ or business class)? I always travel with the wife and 2 kids (under 7). I find UA has a lot more offering when it comes to making award booking. Again, never booked Business class at all on any level but with the air package and accumulation of points, I am hoping to fly business class in 2018 (one way at the very least).

AS might be a gem for me since we tend to go HKG every time we fly to Asia.
Yeah, I'm just hoping to get to 200k AS in 2018 so my wife and I can book a CX J R/T in 2019. Since AS announced a whole stack of program changes recently and *didn't* devalue this one, I'm hopeful that their next big program change is a year+ off. Crossing fingers...

We also have 2 kids and have had a couple trips end up on LH using UA miles. (4 saver Y awards) UA wins on that front by putting most of the alliance online, increasing the raw possibilities of finding something with four seats available, and allowing bookings with no junk fees.

Kids are still young...not blowing 4x J/F miles...I'm guessing finding 4 J is probably a lot harder on every airline.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Yeah, I'm just hoping to get to 200k AS in 2018 so my wife and I can book a CX J R/T in 2019. Since AS announced a whole stack of program changes recently and *didn't* devalue this one, I'm hopeful that their next big program change is a year+ off. Crossing fingers...

We also have 2 kids and have had a couple trips end up on LH using UA miles. (4 saver Y awards) UA wins on that front by putting most of the alliance online, increasing the raw possibilities of finding something with four seats available, and allowing bookings with no junk fees.

Kids are still young...not blowing 4x J/F miles...I'm guessing finding 4 J is probably a lot harder on every airline.
My fear is if I elect the air package to Alaska and get the 120k points, I don't have any other ways to continue to grow that balance. BOA offering of 30k is minimal for what I am trying to do.

Might end up with Delta or UA after all.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:33 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
My fear is if I elect the air package to Alaska and get the 120k points, I don't have any other ways to continue to grow that balance. BOA offering of 30k is minimal for what I am trying to do.

There are plenty. Outside of the credit card there are shopping, dining portals, car rental offers, other hotel chain offers, cruises...etc
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:59 pm

I was thinking that would be a problem too, but SPG is a partner so you could sign up for the SPG card and that is an additional 30 K + miles (35K bonus earnings and when transferring yet an additional 5K for every 20K points transferred).
Of course flying Alaska might end up being the easiest way since they are still on a distance based earnings system.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:09 pm

So I am trying to upgrade my travel package from a cat 1-5 to a cat 7. I was told by the agent it would cost me 60K more points. Is that right?? I thought it would only be 30K more?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
+60k

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
So I am trying to upgrade my travel package from a cat 1-5 to a cat 7. I was told by the agent it would cost me 60K more points. Is that right?? I thought it would only be 30K more?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:42 pm
alc

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
And the easier way to remember is that it is 30K Per CAT upgrade, as you are really paying the additional 5K per night for the CAT level differences. i.e. CAT 5 is 25K, and CAT 6 is 30K, hence the 5K. It only charge 6 additional nights as they do factor in that 5th night free as well.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alc
And the easier way to remember is that it is 30K Per CAT upgrade, as you are really paying the additional 5K per night for the CAT level differences. i.e. CAT 5 is 25K, and CAT 6 is 30K, hence the 5K. It only charge 6 additional nights as they do factor in that 5th night free as well.
Yup. That is how I remember it. Just multiply the number of how many categories jump by the 5K per night by 6 nights.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
You could do this same routing using AS. I checked this morning and found March availability for 55K miles + $134, including the stopover. Worth consideration. The one AS challenge is they allow just a single partner plus AS flights on any award. So if you don't have access to an AS flight from home to the int'l gateway (i.e., LAX, SFO), it might not be a good choice. In my search I got AS from SEA to LAX, then QF onward.
For our past 2 trips to South Africa, we used LAX as the gateway and just used other means (award or paid ticket) between South Florida and LAX.

AS flight would be real tough to work because it only has one flight to South Florida (forgot it is FLL or MIA from SEA) and it NEVER has J seat on that very long flight. One direction is also a red eye. We still have to go from SEA to LAX or YVR to connect to CX flight anyway (meaning an overnight at SEA is needed). Therefore we just use a positioning flight outside the AS award instead. The additional cost is not big but it gives us much more flexibility and options.

It is amazing you have found QF J award LAX-SYD. My recollection on QF is the availability is quite hard to come by.

On a related note - CX often has 5 or more J seats available on the HKG-LAX route, by far the easiest route to redeem. Following it is the HKG-JFK route. There are at least 3 daily flights and some days have 4 flights IIRC so the award seats are much easier to find than gateways that have only 1 or 2 daily flights. We also dont like to use airports in Northeast during winter time. So LAX is it. Much easier than SFO or YVR.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are other ways than the BofA cards to earn AS miles.

On top of that, if your plan is for COACH award, then you would be far better off to just BUY the tickets due to these days the coach tickets are quite cheap. I have seen R/T to Asia as low as <$500. $600 to $700 are very very often available. R/T to EU is regularly available between $400 to $500 even from West Coast. So it is really not worth it to redeem miles on Y award.

If you want to fly premium cabin, then the mile wanted by UA and DL versus AS or Aeroplan, is astonishing. Have you looked at the UA award charts? DL does not even have a chart. But you could still google the cache old charts by some bloggers and then see how much they were - that is still much higher than AS or Aeroplan.

Seriously these days the 3 major US airlines FFPs have devalued SO MUCH that it is time to learn new things, and even look at International programs, such as KE, NH and Asia Miles. Each have their unique pro and con naturally, but there are some sweet spots on their charts. For your Asia trip, CX only requires 50K one way or 80K R/T in business. UA wants 80K one way as a starter. The little 25K bonus you get per Travel Package, does not make up the difference even on a one-way redemption.
Check out the transfer partners of Asia Miles, and now there is even a CX credit card issued in US. It is still relatively unknown but I am sure if you google you will find blog articles to give you more information.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Yup. That is how I remember it. Just multiply the number of how many categories jump by the 5K per night by 6 nights.
Thanks a lot for the help both of you!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC SE, WJ Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Ambassador
Hi,

I originally booked a category 9 package, however subsequently upgraded to a Ritz Tier 1-3. My reward now shows as per below, was wondering if I cancel will I now have 2 seperate certificates ? This would be great if thats the case.

Reward Description
Qty
Hotel Reward: 2 Nights, Tier 2 Hotel
Total points for stay:

Thanks
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:42 pm

No, it will come back as 1 cert. Just a quirk with their internal system.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
At some point, I'll snag the AS credit card just for the sign-up bonus and that annual companion pass.

It's a few different factors for me: one, AS is now flying MCI to four different west coast airports, two of which I use regularly for work travel. 2nd, they're killing the AA partnership at the end of the year, so I pretty much have no great alternative to getting active in their native program. (Previously, I'd use my AA number and get some minimal Gold benefits.) And finally, they're a decent partner option for EK, which I'll be using 1x-2x per year for long-haul J, which generates a nice points haul in AS.

So add all that up, throw in one TP, and I should be doing okay. I figure I have calendar year 2018 to get it done with these two programs (AS and Marriott) in their current pre-merger states.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
There are other ways than the BofA cards to earn AS miles.

On top of that, if your plan is for COACH award, then you would be far better off to just BUY the tickets due to these days the coach tickets are quite cheap. I have seen R/T to Asia as low as <$500. $600 to $700 are very very often available. R/T to EU is regularly available between $400 to $500 even from West Coast. So it is really not worth it to redeem miles on Y award.

If you want to fly premium cabin, then the mile wanted by UA and DL versus AS or Aeroplan, is astonishing. Have you looked at the UA award charts? DL does not even have a chart. But you could still google the cache old charts by some bloggers and then see how much they were - that is still much higher than AS or Aeroplan.

Seriously these days the 3 major US airlines FFPs have devalued SO MUCH that it is time to learn new things, and even look at International programs, such as KE, NH and Asia Miles. Each have their unique pro and con naturally, but there are some sweet spots on their charts. For your Asia trip, CX only requires 50K one way or 80K R/T in business. UA wants 80K one way as a starter. The little 25K bonus you get per Travel Package, does not make up the difference even on a one-way redemption.
Check out the transfer partners of Asia Miles, and now there is even a CX credit card issued in US. It is still relatively unknown but I am sure if you google you will find blog articles to give you more information.
How easy an/or accessible is it to book with AS awards as compared to United? In generally, when making award booking, I usually travel in a group of 4 (wife and 2 kids). I am very open to AS if it gives me more value and options.

You mentioned about CX being 50k & 80K respectively, but is that correct? 80k of AS can get me RT in business? Do I book via AS site or call CX and use AS miles?If not, how do I make the booking Sorry for all the questions but AS is totally new to me.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.