Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by gardener
Confirming that the BA 35% bonus works with the travel package just like it did in February of this year.

09-Oct-17 11-Oct-17 Hotels - MARRIOTT POINTS TO AVIOS 0 120,000
Marriott 35% Bonus Avios 0 42,000

I looked at the Travel Package Page and I didn’t see a 35% promo for BA. Can you please put Up the link? Thanks so much.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by icydog
I looked at the Travel Package Page and I didn’t see a 35% promo for BA. Can you please put Up the link? Thanks so much.
The bonus is a BA offer on all hotel points transfer. It is NOT a Marriott Travel Package benefit. Hence you do not find anything about it on Marriott site.

The bonus will post automatically by BA without you needing to do anything because as the poster said, BA consider the points from Marriott are Hotel Point Transfer, hence earns the bonus.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I am thinking of getting two packages plus the BA miles. Is it best to get the minimum package now or get I tier 8 plus a 5?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:22 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rstidolph
I am thinking of getting two packages plus the BA miles. Is it best to get the minimum package now or get I tier 8 plus a 5?
I've not heard of any issues moving a TP hotel cert up a category level. And in general, haven't seen too many recent posts on downgrading issues either, but in the past there have been reported a few issues with downgrading.

So if you know what your category levels are, you can order them that way now. If you don't know or think things may change, order the lowest category level you think you might use and upgrade it later if needed.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I called and extended for one year...then I extended a second time. They commented it was a second extension and not normally allowed.
I'm not sure what you are asking. As the cert approached the first expiration, I asked for an extension. They extended and the cert showed a new date-one year from my request. The same happened the next year.

I don't think they will grant a two year extension at once.
Excellent. Whenever I extend, they delete the old one and issue a new one.
Originally Posted by alc
Great, I always wonder if the CAT upgrade / downgrade that force a cert to be re-issue trick will work or not to extend a cert beyond 2 years.
I called today and asked and it does appear that you could extend a TP hotel cert for years by upgrading the category level of the cert.

We bought a Cat 7 TP and the CSR confirmed if we upgrade to a cat 8 we get a new cert which is good for a year and should be able to be extended one more year.

Since we want to use a Cat 9 we would then upgrade the cert again the following year so that the TP we purchased in January 2017 could be used until January of 2021.

All the more reason to start with a cat 5 cert.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by flyer4512
I called today and asked and it does appear that you could extend a TP hotel cert for years by upgrading the category level of the cert.

We bought a Cat 7 TP and the CSR confirmed if we upgrade to a cat 8 we get a new cert which is good for a year and should be able to be extended one more year.

Since we want to use a Cat 9 we would then upgrade the cert again the following year so that the TP we purchased in January 2017 could be used until January of 2021.

All the more reason to start with a cat 5 cert.
Sweet, great to know, thanks for doing the work.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by icydog
This might be a topic for a thread in the BA forum. Does BA charge the exorbitant YQ fees on awards that get added to BA flights booked through their partners' FF programs? If so, I don't see how even with a 35% "bonus" this returns good value on the exchange. Cost-wise, it might be cheaper to move points into a program that doesn't charge the significant YQ fees.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Sweet, great to know, thanks for doing the work.
I was led down the path by others here.

Please remember I have not actually done this yet but I tend to believe it will work but I won't know for sure until I try it

In January 2018 I will up grade my current cat 7 cert to a cat 8 and it SHOULD generate a new cert , 11 months later I will then ask if I can extend that new 8 cert for another year...........if they say yes we SHOULD be good to go.

Maybe more people will try this and we can get some solid DP's

Last edited by flyer4512; Oct 13, 2017 at 3:56 pm
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:08 pm

Looks like the annual United bonus is back: https://promotions.united.com/offers/p2m. I look forward to this each year since I opt for United miles on my TPs.

Should net you 25,000 points on full package, so 157,000 total United points for max package.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:45 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Willbur
Looks like the annual United bonus is back: https://promotions.united.com/offers/p2m. I look forward to this each year since I opt for United miles on my TPs.

Should net you 25,000 points on full package, so 157,000 total United points for max package.
Sweet!!!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:58 am
kkl

Just in time to redeem and burn before the rise!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 4:14 am
alc

My thanks as well. Been waiting for this.

reminder everyone - you need to register for this!!!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Does Alaska Airlines ever give bonus points for hotel points transfer?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:06 am
alc

Nevermind, T&C state MileagePlus not RewardsPlus. Sorry for those that was confused.

Last edited by alc; Oct 13, 2017 at 7:06 am
Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:15 pm

Thanks for posting. I’ve been waiting for this one also.

Now, where to go???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.