Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:02 am
alc

Originally Posted by Mark Garretson
Hi FT!

Anyone have success or have an opinion of if Marriott will let us do the following?

Marriott Vacation Club Owner - My father
Marriott Platinum - Me
Same last name

We are traveling together on a trip and would love to use my Marriott points on a vacation package, but really would like the 5 night voucher instead of the 7 night.

Will Marriott let us redeem a 5 vacation package on my account, using my points, under my name? Assuming my father is on the phone and we have provided both our Marriott account numbers?

Thanks
If you find the right agent that do know all the rules "correctly" i guess you should be able to. But the miles will go to your father FF account (officially) though.

Here is how I see it:

1) empty your father account to < 1,000 points. You can make dummy booking to use up all the points or transfer them over to your father SPG account. even do the 1000/2000 Marriott to 333/666 SPG if required.

2) logon to your father's account online, create the hotel booking that you want but edit with all your info (address, email, phone, credit card...), except the guest name that you can't edit

3) call in together and ask the agent to will transfer x points from your account over to your father's account using the "over 50K transfer exception when redeeming an award" rule and specifically state for Travel Package.

4) ask the agent to attache the travel package cert to the booking that was made in 2)

5) ask the agent to update the guest name to you.

the only issue i see will be 3) as I haven't done this exact transfer myself using the >50K rule for a Travel Package booking. hopefully reservation made in Step 2) will help showing you do have a "pending" reward reservation that required the points.

the agent might still say no. if that is the case, you can go with Plan B - transfer the points using the SPG account. SPG allow you transfer points between each other if they are living at the same address for over 30 days. this is when you will change step 3) above to:

3a) transfer all the x points from your Marriott account over to yours SPG
3b) from your SPG account transfer SPG points over to your father's SPG account
3c) transfer from your father's SPG account to his Marriott account

good luck and report back how it went.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:57 pm

Just booked my trip to Tokyo for Cherry Blossom season:

7 Night Travel Package for 132k United Miles and a week at the Category 8 Sakura Tower Tokyo. Package ordered Sunday night at 7pm EST by calling 800-321-7396. United Miles arrived around 12pm EST Tuesday (so about 36 hours later).

I am very excited! Thanks to everyone who posts here for the helpful information.

Last edited by goodasiansir; Sep 12, 2017 at 9:08 pm
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by goodasiansir
Just booked my trip to Tokyo for Cherry Blossom season:

7 Night Travel Package for 132k United Miles and a week at the Category 8 Sakura Tower Tokyo. Package ordered Sunday night at 7pm EST by calling 800-321-7396. United Miles arrived around 12pm EST Tuesday (so about 36 hours later).

I am very excited! Thanks to everyone who posts here for the helpful information.
It'll be a great trip - I previously used my travel cert for the same hotel during Cherry Blossom season and it was fantastic.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:30 am

I know that if you cancel 7 nights Cat1-5 hotel certificate, you can only get back 45000 Marriott points.
How about 5 nights Cat1-5, how many Marriott points will be returned?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by pinniped
This sounds like it should all work as you describe.

Only one minor detail: I *think* that when you call to extend a TP, they extend it to 1 year from the date of the phone call, not a full year added onto the end of the certificate. So if you call in Dec 17, your cert is then good through Dec 18.

Unless this has changed recently...
No you're right. Wait until your reward is about to expire to extend it. Otherwise they only extend it one year from your phone call..
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:32 pm
alc

Just got the email stating that BA is having a convert promo with 35% bonus:

Between 20th September 2017 and 31st October, 2017 for Club Carlson, Hilton Honors, Hyatt Gold Passport, IHG Rewards Club, Marriott Rewards and Shangri-La Golden Circle.
just want to confirm that Travel Package historical do get these bonus for BA too?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:45 pm

I received the bonus in the last promo for redeeming a travel package.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Is the expiration date on TP, use-by date or booking date?
looking for recent datapoints

This is extension year for me and package expires next month. Wondering if it's booking date or stay-by date.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:21 am
alc

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
looking for recent datapoints

This is extension year for me and package expires next month. Wondering if it's booking date or stay-by date.
my understanding is that all certs expiration date is the use-by date. Maybe you can try to find a hotel that the CAT is higher than the cert that you current have right now, make a booking in a couple of weeks. The agent will need to re-issue the cert and it should have a new expiration date. Cancel this booking next week by calling in and you can ask to have cert downgrade back to CAT 5 and they need to re-issue the cert again and should have a new expiation date again.

Hope this help.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by alc
Just got the email stating that BA is having a convert promo with 35% bonus:

just want to confirm that Travel Package historical do get these bonus for BA too?
Yes I got the bonus last time too. Contemplating redeeming TWO travel packages to take advantage of this. I value Marriott points at about 0.8 cpp and I get AT LEAST 1.5 cpm value from Avios, so redeeming 270K Marriott points worth $2160 and getting 162K BA Avios worth $2430 is very attractive. The week in a Cat 5 hotel is just icing on the cake.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by gardener
Yes I got the bonus last time too. Contemplating redeeming TWO travel packages to take advantage of this. I value Marriott points at about 0.8 cpp and I get AT LEAST 1.5 cpm value from Avios, so redeeming 270K Marriott points worth $2160 and getting 162K BA Avios worth $2430 is very attractive. The week in a Cat 5 hotel is just icing on the cake.
Is there anything you need to do to make sure you get the bonus, or is it automatic?

Has anyone ever had problems upgrading a certificate from category 1-5 to category 7? And how long does it take to upgrade a certificate?

Thanks
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by rstidolph
Is there anything you need to do to make sure you get the bonus, or is it automatic?
Not that I am aware of. This should be an automatic bonus granted by the airline (not Marriott).

Has anyone ever had problems upgrading a certificate from category 1-5 to category 7? And how long does it take to upgrade a certificate?
Never. It takes a phone call and is completed instantaneously.

Thanks
You're welcome.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I am looking to redeem a Cat 9 Travel Package to take advantage of the BA promo. However I only want to stay at the Cat 9 hotel for 5 days instead of 7 days. Is it possible to just book the 7 days and use the certificate, and check out on 5th day (say emergency or something), and just forfeit the last 2 days of the stay without further penalty? Also is there anyway to get those "2 days" back?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
I am looking to redeem a Cat 9 Travel Package to take advantage of the BA promo. However I only want to stay at the Cat 9 hotel for 5 days instead of 7 days. Is it possible to just book the 7 days and use the certificate, and check out on 5th day (say emergency or something), and just forfeit the last 2 days of the stay without further penalty? Also is there anyway to get those "2 days" back?
You can definitely check out without further penalty and lose the days.

Getting the two days back is very YMMV but I did have a friend who had an issue at her hotel and wanted to move hotels because of it - she was able to get back the remaining nights in points (3 nights on a 7 night cert). But I wouldn't count on this and I'd expect to put up a fight for them with a reason as to why they would owe you points and why you can't stay there.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:44 pm
alc

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
You could also just walk out the hotel and tell them you might be back. Call them on the 8th day morning and said you will not be back. So, this way you get 2 extra nights credited

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.