Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:06 pm

A friend at work was just telling me today that she booked a trip in London over the weekend using her 7 day cert and she had to pay a day in the middle because there was no standard award night available that day. So seems to be alive and well.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:29 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Now as Pinniped alluded to, the likelihood of standard rooms being available on nights where awards are not available is slim to none. The only time this would happen is when the hotel has a special event approved by corporate where they limit or totally black out awards...
Marriott doesn't follow the same "last standard room available" for awards that Starwood has. Marriott hotels only have to offer a % of standard rooms for awards.

Marriott does have their "no blackout" policy, but that only means they need that Corp special event waiver if they don't want to offer any award rooms.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by kkl
Over a week and my AA points not in yet
My transfer from last week posted this morning.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:30 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gpeso8
My transfer from last week posted this morning.
Me too, took 9 days.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:33 pm
kkl

Mine got posted too
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:27 pm

Hello all: I have a question regarding the 7N hotel+flight cert...I understand it's for a standard room. Based on research, it appears that if I want to upgrade that cert to a 1BR suite, that suite would HAVE to be available on the website via the P&C option, correct?

Before taking the plunge on the cert (it would be for Hawaii), can I do the diligence beforehand to determine whether or not I would be able to 1) get the cert AND 2) manage to upgrade to a suite by paying more P&C?

Lastly, am I seeking the impossible, especially considering it's Hawaii?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:12 pm

Actually, resorts (and most of the hotels in Hawaii are resorts) tend to have more "upgradable" rooms available for award booking than non-resort hotels do.

So yes, it is possible. All you need to do is search for normal award availability for a hotel. For you case, if you were wanting to travel to Hawaii for say Nov. 1-8th (you can pick any nights you want to search for award availability). I checked the "use points" box and hit search.

I found 16 different hotels within Hawaii that have award availability for Nov. 1-8th. I looked them over and decided I kind of liked the Kauai Marriott Resort. So I click on the Rates button for that hotel.

I then see that I have a base award room for 240K points plus 3 award room "options" for award + ecertificates. I can also see that they have 3 award options for award + cash. I can pick and choose any of those that I prefer.

The TP award cert can be used as the "base" award (as long as the category level matches or exceeds the hotel which in this case is Cat. 8). Once I pick the particular "option" I want, the reservation will tell me the total amount of points required + any cash. So if I choose the Oceanview, Balcony Award+Cash, then I see on the reservation details window that it will cost 40K per night (except for the 5th night) + $150/night every night including the 5th night as the "upgrade" isn't covered on the 5th award night free award.

I've always made my reservations before I ordered the award and held it without points. I then call in the MR to get the award cert linked to the reservation. If you are using upgrade certs for the reservation instead of cash, then the reservation will tell you how many total points will be required including the upgrade certs.

It really isn't any different than making any other award reservation except you might need to call in to get the cert linked to your reservation.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:16 am

Can one upgrade a 7N cert to a suite via P&C?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by gumercindo
Can one upgrade a 7N cert to a suite via P&C?
Yes it is possible, if the hotel is offering suite point rooms.

I have a stay coming up during Thanksgiving at the Puerto Vallarta Casa Magna resort in an Oceanfront Suite room. I am using a TP 7 night award for the base room plus something like 4 or 5 upgrade certs per night. I could have also chosen to use the 7 night award plus about $150/night instead of using the upgrade certs.

I made the award reservation online and then called into Marriott to link the TP award to the reservation. So the answer to your question is it all depends on what the hotel is offering for awards. They might offer suite award rooms or they might not.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Does the hotel stay need to be completed by expiration date on 7nt cert or only booked by that date?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
One year from when the Certificate was created- but if you call Marriott before expiration they will grant one year extension.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hhoope01
The hotel won't be able to pull the points and order the awards for you at check-in. What you might be able to do though is call MR or the hotel directly and ask if they would be willing to open up award inventory for a one or two bedroom suite. If they won't, then there isn't much you can do other than look elsewhere or hope you get a complementary upgrade at check-in.
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Got it. I will call and ask. The hotel itself said I could pay the difference in cash, so if I can't work something else out or get the upgrade bc of status, then I have a backup plan.
Just thought I'd update this, since it turned out so awesome. I did call about a month out to ask about upgrading with points, but rep said that they usually can accommodate the upgrade at check in for Golds and that I should wait. Called morning of (did not check in online) and asked about check in time, luggage storage, and upgrade possibility. Rep said, just to come on and they could try when I arrive. Showed up around noon and said we'd be happy to wait for room since we were early (just wanted to leave luggage somewhere). Fantastic rep said he upgraded us to a 2-bedroom b/c Gold MR. I almost kissed him. This honestly was more than I expected but it has made our vacation so, so much better. We are a family of 5 and the studio or 1-bedroom would've been very tight. We would've sucked it up, but dang the 2-bedroom suite is awesome.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:32 am

any recent DPs on Marriott --> United? Initiated via phone on saturday and points still haven't shown up
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aeroplan 35% bonus transfer

Aeroplan has a new bonus transfer - this time is 35% for any quantity versus the one in March that was tiered.

I wish I could take advantage on this transfer but alas, I dont want to be holding 2 7-nights certs with expiration dates so close to each other as I have done the 25% transfer in late March.

But for those who are not aware of the Aeroplan bonus transfer, this could be a very nice bonus to redeem the TP - that is, if Aeriplan works for you.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:33 pm

I'm looking to redeem for a 5/7N cert to use next year. Unfortunately, I probably won't make Gold again. Has anyone had success in using the cert to make a reservation in someone else's name who has elite status so that his/her status attaches for upgrades/club/breakfast, etc?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.