Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hhoope01
As already mentioned, the upgrades are 5K/night/cert.

And yes, you can use them with a TP hotel award. I have an upcoming award stay using a TP cert and upgraded to an Oceanfront suite room. Note that this upgrade took more than 1 upgrade cert per night. I made the reservation online, but had to call the Plat line to get the TP award linked and the correct # of upgrade certs added.
We've got a reservation for a studio at RI in Maui (using TP). I'm hoping to get upgraded to a 1-bedroom w/ gold status. If we were not to get upgrade on site at check in, could we ask for upgrade w/ 5k per night? Alternatively, if we WERE to get upgrade to 1-bedroom on site, could we further upgrade to 2-bedroom? If so, would this require 10k per night? Have never used points for Marriott rez so unsure how all this works.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:32 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
The hotel won't be able to pull the points and order the awards for you at check-in. What you might be able to do though is call MR or the hotel directly and ask if they would be willing to open up award inventory for a one or two bedroom suite. If they won't, then there isn't much you can do other than look elsewhere or hope you get a complementary upgrade at check-in.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hhoope01
The hotel won't be able to pull the points and order the awards for you at check-in. What you might be able to do though is call MR or the hotel directly and ask if they would be willing to open up award inventory for a one or two bedroom suite. If they won't, then there isn't much you can do other than look elsewhere or hope you get a complementary upgrade at check-in.
Got it. I will call and ask. The hotel itself said I could pay the difference in cash, so if I can't work something else out or get the upgrade bc of status, then I have a backup plan.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonypg
Thank you for your reply.

I did think about my requirement for places that I want to travel. I'll always have demands to fly JFK-HKG since I am from a city few hours away from Hong Kong.

So for Alaska, 70k miles for Cathay first class is almost the best option. However, I have read posts saying sometime BA can see the availability but can't with AS; To fly Hainan airline to go back to Shenzhen, I have also read posts saying they were able to locate fares on the AS website but wasn't able to book it due to website errors. They tried to call the customer service but it's the same problem. I believe the system in Alaska has some serious problems.

I guess I could redeem cathay pacific via AA... But the first class award has gone up to 110k which is not worthy when you have AS.

UA is something I am considering cuz the partner airlines they have. 7K for business and 11K/13k first class to Asia is good but still a bit pricy compare with AS.

I guess my hesitation is on the uncertain of AS system performance. If their system is working as expected, I would put my travel package on them.
I believe you MISS an important point about AS - AS is NOT a member of OneWprld. It does NOT receive the same number of award seats as the other OW members. Since you have read the CX availability thread in AS forum, you should have picked up the above salient point already. The Best Case scenario is AS sees one LESS seat as the OneWorld Member Airlines. The Worst Case senario is AS does NOT see any when the One World Member Airlines see more than one seat.

If you want to be sure to fly CX F, then you would need to cough up with AA's much higher mile cost. Though having flown CX F at least 2 to 3 times a year, I can tell you that the only value is the very comfortable bed - probably one of the most comfortable ones in the sky. Other than that, everything else is inferior to its competitors of the same caliber - from the decor of the cabin which has not been refreshed for many years, to the foods (a very sore point to CX premium cabin passengers) and the service, which very unfortunately has gone downhill a lot in recent years. (A lot to do with the management and the continuous cost-cutting).

Dont forget JL is also a partner but JL's F usually is only available come closer to departure.

You would need to decide what exactly you want - do you want the sure thing and plenty of availability over the saving of miles? Then Pay Up. Or the other way round? Then make compromises.

Keep in mind award travel is not PAY travel, hence you are subject to many restrictive factors and have to make many compromise. So you make the compromises that have the least effect on you. That is the essence of the "game".
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:55 am

Marriott vacation package

I have been thinking about redeem Marriott rewards points into those 7 nights+Airline miles deals, but I have a quick question about how to use that 7 free nights. I am aware of a lot restrictions, but can I use 7 nights for two rooms in the same propertie?or it must be single room for 7 nights,? Thanks
Old Jun 12, 2017, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Can only be applied to one room and nights must be consecutive.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Happy
I believe you MISS an important point about AS - AS is NOT a member of OneWprld. It does NOT receive the same number of award seats as the other OW members. Since you have read the CX availability thread in AS forum, you should have picked up the above salient point already. The Best Case scenario is AS sees one LESS seat as the OneWorld Member Airlines. The Worst Case senario is AS does NOT see any when the One World Member Airlines see more than one seat.

If you want to be sure to fly CX F, then you would need to cough up with AA's much higher mile cost. Though having flown CX F at least 2 to 3 times a year, I can tell you that the only value is the very comfortable bed - probably one of the most comfortable ones in the sky. Other than that, everything else is inferior to its competitors of the same caliber - from the decor of the cabin which has not been refreshed for many years, to the foods (a very sore point to CX premium cabin passengers) and the service, which very unfortunately has gone downhill a lot in recent years. (A lot to do with the management and the continuous cost-cutting).

Dont forget JL is also a partner but JL's F usually is only available come closer to departure.

You would need to decide what exactly you want - do you want the sure thing and plenty of availability over the saving of miles? Then Pay Up. Or the other way round? Then make compromises.

Keep in mind award travel is not PAY travel, hence you are subject to many restrictive factors and have to make many compromise. So you make the compromises that have the least effect on you. That is the essence of the "game".
Your reply is such a wake up call for me! Thank you for the information about availability between OW and AS as well.

I believe I will go with AS. I rather have less flexibility than paying a lot more miles when there is a cheaper way. I did look up with JL availability and it doesn't seem to be too bad within the next 2 months.

I mainly go with CX because the city I am from is close to HKG.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by margarita girl
There was a thread here a few years back about how a poster was able to redeem an award across 8 or 9 nights, with the paid night(s) in the middle of the stay. I think a phone agent had to do it, and it was only allowed as long as the entire time at the hotel was contiguous nights.

This was more of an issue back when there were two tiers of award availability. I don't know whether it's still possible...I've never asked about it myself.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Don't see why they must be consecutive nights seeing that the earlier Marriott C&P allowed for non consecutve point nights.

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:18 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
There was a thread here a few years back about how a poster was able to redeem an award across 8 or 9 nights, with the paid night(s) in the middle of the stay. I think a phone agent had to do it, and it was only allowed as long as the entire time at the hotel was contiguous nights.
I was able to do just that a couple of times. And yes, I had to call in to make the reservation and get the cert applied.

It was a few years ago that I last tried. So not sure how easy or hard it would be today (or whether it is still possible though I'd guess it should be.)
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Srisarin
Don't see why they must be consecutive nights seeing that the earlier Marriott C&P allowed for non consecutve point nights.
They do not need to be consecutive nights, but it must be a contiguous stay (single reservation) comprised of paid and award nights.

Now as Pinniped alluded to, the likelihood of standard rooms being available on nights where awards are not available is slim to none. The only time this would happen is when the hotel has a special event approved by corporate where they limit or totally black out awards; for example New Years at Sydney Harbour Marriott where something like the nights of Dec 30, 31 and Jan 1 may be blocked out from awards. If that were the case then one could book the nights Dec 26-29 (4 nights) with points, pay cash for nights of Dec 30-Jan 1 (3 nights) and points for nights of Jan 2-4 (3 nights) and then use their 7-night certificate.

If you haven't figured it out from the above description, a single reservation must be for a single room type. You can't mix a superior room on some nights, changing to a deluxe room or a suite on others.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
If you read the post I was responding to you'd know that I was disagreeing with that posters contention that the TP usage was limited to consecutive nights.
I made no other contention beyond that limited point.

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
They do not need to be consecutive nights, but it must be a contiguous stay (single reservation) comprised of paid and award nights.

Now as Pinniped alluded to, the likelihood of standard rooms being available on nights where awards are not available is slim to none. The only time this would happen is when the hotel has a special event approved by corporate where they limit or totally black out awards; for example New Years at Sydney Harbour Marriott where something like the nights of Dec 30, 31 and Jan 1 may be blocked out from awards. If that were the case then one could book the nights Dec 26-29 (4 nights) with points, pay cash for nights of Dec 30-Jan 1 (3 nights) and points for nights of Jan 2-4 (3 nights) and then use their 7-night certificate.

If you haven't figured it out from the above description, a single reservation must be for a single room type. You can't mix a superior room on some nights, changing to a deluxe room or a suite on others.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by pinniped

This was more of an issue back when there were two tiers of award availability. I don't know whether it's still possible...I've never asked about it myself.
I stand corrected. Thank you!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by dannyrado
Hi.
Can you redeem a travel package for a standard room and use an upgrade cert on the same room?
I'm looking to book the grande vista. A villa shows available for redemption plus 1 upgrade cert per night... Can I book that with a travel package, and exchange some more points to upgrade?
An upgrade cert is 2000 points per night?? Is that right??
I'm a Chairman's Club member at Marriott's Vacation Club and renting points is easy. I think it will be much cheaper in value to rent from a Vacation Club owner. By the way, why do you want to go to MGV, say over the other Orlando Marriott timeshares? I like Lakeshore Reserve and Cypress Harbour much more than MGV.

When do you want to go and what size villa do you want.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:49 pm
kkl

Over a week and my AA points not in yet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.