Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Any data points on how long it takes on average for a non-expedited transfer to AA to take? I did 7-night package 12 days ago and nothing has posted thus far. Thanks.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Ikonos 1993, someday (maybe before your TP expires) each *wood hotels will be assigned to a Marriott category. Then you can use your free week accordingly.

Last edited by Brendan; May 30, 2017 at 8:29 pm
Old May 31, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Brendan
Ikonos 1993, someday (maybe before your TP expires) each *wood hotels will be assigned to a Marriott category. Then you can use your free week accordingly.
Or in the case of the two hotel chains Ikonos was inquiring about, Luxury Collection and St. Regis, perhaps a RC Tier instead.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
How far in advance do I need to upgrade a Cat 5 travel package for a Cat 8 stay?

I have a 7-night stay on July 14 but am trying to decide if I want to reduce that to 5 nights, in which case I'd not use the travel package yet.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
How far in advance do I need to upgrade a Cat 5 travel package for a Cat 8 stay?

I have a 7-night stay on July 14 but am trying to decide if I want to reduce that to 5 nights, in which case I'd not use the travel package yet.

My question is this: How exactly do I upgrade a travel package from cat 5 to cat 8 or 9?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:19 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by icydog
My question is this: How exactly do I upgrade a travel package from cat 5 to cat 8 or 9?
Call the Plat line and ask them to upgrade the cert to Cat. 8. They shouldn't have any issues upgrading the cert and applying it to the reservation.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
Deleted. Answered above.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by jtp1947
Deleted. Answered above.
Sorry. You have to be fast around here.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Call the Plat line and ask them to upgrade the cert to Cat. 8. They shouldn't have any issues upgrading the cert and applying it to the reservation.
is this option to upgrade available only to plat?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Stivelio
is this option to upgrade available only to plat?
No. Of course if you aren't a Plat, you will have to call the MR# for your elite level, but anyone with the requisite points in their account should be able to upgrade their TP hotel cert.

I have heard of issues trying to downgrade the hotel cert, but upgrading seems to usually not have any issues.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:08 am

I'm just hoping with that they will continue the travel packages and the flexibility MR has over things in general when they complete the merger.

Especially since it's a Starwood employee heading it up.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
I'm just hoping with that they will continue the travel packages and the flexibility MR has over things in general when they complete the merger.

Especially since it's a Starwood employee heading it up.
Given that both Marriot AND Starwood have hotel&airmile packages, I'm assuming they'll retain the offer. In what shape or form will be the real question...
Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Thank you.

Did you know you can reverse a travel package. I did it last year.

They obviously couldn't give me back the MRPs slated for UA part of the package, but they prorated my hotel points and put a large percentage back into my MR account. I was very surprised they'd do it at all.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by icydog
Thank you.

Did you know you can reverse a travel package. I did it last year.

They obviously couldn't give me back the MRPs slated for UA part of the package, but they prorated my hotel points and put a large percentage back into my MR account. I was very surprised they'd do it at all.
well, I don't have the numbers, but what you consider significant, I consider skimpy. For example, a 270K travel package for a category 1-5 hotel, you get something like 15K points redeposited for the 7 night certificate.

Billy
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Delta3MM
well, I don't have the numbers, but what you consider significant, I consider skimpy. For example, a 270K travel package for a category 1-5 hotel, you get something like 15K points redeposited for the 7 night certificate.
Delta3MM is correct. Someone (I just can't remember who) even started a thread on this topic quite a while back. Read through the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l-package.html thread.

While it is almost 10 years old, most of the information is still correct (though some of the values may be slightly changed (i.e. Cat 1-5, 120K mile TP award hotel cert may get you 15K now as opposed to 10K back then.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.