Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:11 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Way back in the day, previous incarnations of the TP award also included an 8 day Hertz car rental. They dropped that a number of years back and offered a 25% off coupon for a Hertz car rental. But I thought the even dropped that a few years ago (not that it was really that useful anyway.)
Old Dec 3, 2015, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Well, I will report back if (when) the Hertz thing shows up. The Rep seemed super knowledgeable and was great, so I guess this is something new they started again?

I have no use for it on most of my trips, but I guess if I ever went on a road-trip (very unlikely) or needed a car while mine was in the shop (also very unlikely within a year), it could be useful.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An free car rental (for however many days) might be useful (though it may not include all costs).

A 25% off coupon doesn't sound very useful, since there are oodles of discount codes (including from airlines) that give at least that much discount, and the discount from those codes and from such a coupon are never stackable.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
An free car rental (for however many days) might be useful (though it may not include all costs).
Way back when, the TP awards were 200K and came with a certificate for an 8 day Hertz car rental, 7 nights in any Marriott you wanted to stay and 2 paper certificates to fly to that location (anywhere in the world.) And yes, the 8 day Hertz car rental covered the normal costs (if you wanted extra insurance or some other "extra" that would cost, but the car was covered.)

Now I do believe the 8 day car rental was limited to NA though. So if you wanted to travel to a Marriott in Europe, Asia or Australia, you would have had to find your own car. (But you could use the paper cert for a later trip of course.)
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
I have accumulated a pretty huge bounty of MR points in the last several months... sitting on ~400,000 at the moment. Something in my gut is telling me to cash them in sooner rather than later because I feel that Marriott may find the merger with SPG to be an opportune time to devalue points and reshape its program.... thoughts on this from more experienced FT'ers?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by jjmoore
... thoughts on this from more experienced FT'ers?
You could easily be correct. But it is also possible that Marriott might pull some of the SPG Plat benefits over to Marriott Plat. So net effect might be a Marriot Plat that isn't quite as good as the current SPG Plat levels, but maybe better than the current Marriott Plat level.

But it is all guessing on our part right now. And one more point is that I wouldn't expect any "major" changes from the merger to occur before 2017 (and even then they will probably give everyone 3-6 months notice.) So even if they do look at this as a "devaluation" opportunity, it will be quite a ways in the future.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by hhoope01
You could easily be correct. But it is also possible that Marriott might pull some of the SPG Plat benefits over to Marriott Plat. So net effect might be a Marriot Plat that isn't quite as good as the current SPG Plat levels, but maybe better than the current Marriott Plat level.

But it is all guessing on our part right now. And one more point is that I wouldn't expect any "major" changes from the merger to occur before 2017 (and even then they will probably give everyone 3-6 months notice.) So even if they do look at this as a "devaluation" opportunity, it will be quite a ways in the future.
Thx for the input.... I will probably hold tight for a while. I was hoping to gather up more like 700-800K points and cash them in for 2 simultaneous packages for higher category hotels (vacation clubs)... will see.

I am also glad I am going to lock up lifetime PT soon... hopefully no changes to the 2,000,000 lifetime point mark to achieve this status in the near future... only 2-3 months away at most.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:03 am

I am also glad I am going to lock up lifetime PT soon... hopefully no changes to the 2,000,000 lifetime point mark to achieve this status in the near future... only 2-3 months away at most.
One point on LT status. A few years back Marriott did make a change to their LT statuses, they made it easier to achieve them (i.e. dropped 12 years in program requirement, lowered the points and nights required as well.)

So while anything is possible, I'm thinking they probably won't backtrack on that and make it harder to achieve. Though I would expect changes to the "benefits" at each level. (Just what those changes will be, good or bad, don't know.)
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:12 am

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I have accumulated a pretty huge bounty of MR points in the last several months... sitting on ~400,000 at the moment. Something in my gut is telling me to cash them in sooner rather than later because I feel that Marriott may find the merger with SPG to be an opportune time to devalue points and reshape its program.... thoughts on this from more experienced FT'ers?
I have to agree with you, I also have about 700K sitting around doing nothing.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:16 am

One point on LT status. A few years back Marriott did make a change to their LT statuses, they made it easier to achieve them (i.e. dropped 12 years in program requirement, lowered the points and nights required as well.)

So while anything is possible, I'm thinking they probably won't backtrack on that and make it harder to achieve. Though I would expect changes to the "benefits" at each level. (Just what those changes will be, good or bad, don't know.)
Hope you are correct, I am about a year away from LT Plat. It took so long to get to this point...hope they don't move the finish line farther away.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by danola
I have to agree with you, I also have about 700K sitting around doing nothing.
Note that reward program points/miles will devalue anyway. So holding onto a large amount of points is only going to cause you heartburn in the long run no matter whether Marriott had purchased Starwood or not.

It is usually better to use those points rather than hoard them.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:55 am

Note that reward program points/miles will devalue anyway. So holding onto a large amount of points is only going to cause you heartburn in the long run no matter whether Marriott had purchased Starwood or not.

It is usually better to use those points rather than hoard them.
I've spent over 300K this year, can't spend it faster than that.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by danola
I've spent over 300K this year, can't spend it faster than that.
Neesd help ?
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: Marriott LTPP
Transferring MR points travel package to Aeroplan

Aeroplan is currently running a promo until mid Dec. whereby if you transfer 150k Aeroplan points from Marriott which will cost ? MR points into your AP account then you can get 40K bonus points. I need help figuring out what a 5 night (owners) Marriott TP would be. Any help here?
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:23 pm

If you don't own a timeshare with Marriott, then you wouldn't be eligible for the 5 night travel package. You would have to cash in points for the 7 night travel package link

If you do own the timeshare, you have to go through the vacation club portal to get the details, unless somebody else knows a link.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.