Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by rcgrogan
Being a MCVI owner I just got a 5 nighter at cat 8 with 120K MR points...did it on 10/30 with AA and just got the 20% bonus! You have to call CS to get the 5 night deal.
I assume you mean with 120k AA miles-not 120k MR points-correct?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:40 pm
alc

I was wondering how straight is Marriott on the "consecutive" nights rule on these travel package. I am hoping I can break them up for multiple hotels.

Thanks.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by alc
I was wondering how straight is Marriott on the "consecutive" nights rule on these travel package. I am hoping I can break them up for multiple hotels.

Thanks.
Lol, u can't even break it for a single hotel . Good luck!

Last edited by gv111; Nov 18, 2014 at 9:02 pm
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
No you can't break a travel package nights into multiple stays at different hotel. 100% certain of this.

However, you can "insert" a paid night anywhere during a stay at one hotel and they are fine with that. Say the hotel you are going to has some super cheap rate for one or two days, and the others days are expensive (it has actually happened to me). So, you can do two nights award, two nights paid, then 5 more nights award on a 7 day travel package (or whatever). No you can't change hotels.

In case you were wondering, no you cannot change hotels.

Billy
Old Nov 19, 2014, 3:29 pm
alc

Originally Posted by gv111
Lol, u can't even break it for a single hotel . Good luck!
Originally Posted by Delta3MM
No you can't break a travel package nights into multiple stays at different hotel. 100% certain of this.

However, you can "insert" a paid night anywhere during a stay at one hotel and they are fine with that. Say the hotel you are going to has some super cheap rate for one or two days, and the others days are expensive (it has actually happened to me). So, you can do two nights award, two nights paid, then 5 more nights award on a 7 day travel package (or whatever). No you can't change hotels.

In case you were wondering, no you cannot change hotels.

Billy
Thanks for the respond. I have a 5-day CAT-5 stay coming up, but I don't have a 7-day trip any time soon, so I guess I will just have to wait until my next opportunity.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:22 am

This is probably a silly question. Does anyone have any experience booking the 7 nights for 2 rooms (1 for 3 nights and 1 for 4 nights, with the nights overlapping).

Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by AkiraStylez
This is probably a silly question. Does anyone have any experience booking the 7 nights for 2 rooms (1 for 3 nights and 1 for 4 nights, with the nights overlapping).

Thanks!
That is probably not possible. It has to be 7 nights for 1 room.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by gv111
That is probably not possible. It has to be 7 nights for 1 room.
Thanks! I want to take advantage of TP, but it's so hard to find time for a 7 day vacation. =/
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by AkiraStylez
Thanks! I want to take advantage of TP, but it's so hard to find time for a 7 day vacation. =/
I would have to say, in that case, call the hotel and ask. It's not like you are asking to split between hotels, it still occupies only one room for 7 nights at one hotel. They might be willing to do it. If the reservations group does not understand, fax the hotel the request.

Billy
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Going to be buying a 7-night Marriott TP after January 1st to get my Southwest Airlines companion pass renewed for another 2 years! I have heard rumors that you can call after the fact and upgrade your category level and pay the points difference. Say, I originally order a Category 6 + 120K Rapid Rewards points and later decide that I want to stay at a Category 8 hotel for my 7-night vacation. All I would need to do is call and pay the extra 60K Marriott Rewards points...correct??
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
Going to be buying a 7-night Marriott TP after January 1st to get my Southwest Airlines companion pass renewed for another 2 years! I have heard rumors that you can call after the fact and upgrade your category level and pay the points difference. Say, I originally order a Category 6 + 120K Rapid Rewards points and later decide that I want to stay at a Category 8 hotel for my 7-night vacation. All I would need to do is call and pay the extra 60K Marriott Rewards points...correct??
Correct. We often start with a cat 1-5 cert just to get the airline miles. Then we upgrade as needed once we know exactly the hotel category needed.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: Southwest
We're booking a cat 7 in Orlando in March using a 7-night cert, but we will only be able to stay 4 nights. Has anyone ever allowed a friend/family to use remaining nights on these in the same reservation (so, handing off remaining 3 nights to someone else)? Obviously it's possible since I'd just give them the room key, but I didn't know if it violates any terms, etc.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:12 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
If anything were to be charged to the room or damaged, you would be on the hook. But otherwise, the hotel wouldn't know or probably even care.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by alc

Thanks.
Actually, what you're thinking of is the "Sampler" package that used to be offered for places like Hawaii or Europe where people might go to vacation and travel while in the area. It was composed of two 2-night certificates and one 3-night certificate that you could use in various hotels in the area (or in the same hotel if you desired).

I loved those for travel within Europe.

Unfortunately, they quit offering those some years back (I think 2008 may have been the last year). I sure wish they'd offer them again, though.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Changing cert from cat9 to RC tier1-3.

Can you upgrade/switch the cert from Marriott cat 9 to an RC once redeemed or is there an issue doing this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.