Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2006, 6:48 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I'm not sure I completely understand your question. I think you are asking about getting a travel package with airline miles, but NOT get a hotel week as that would cost less points.

The answer is you can not get a travel "package" reward without paying the points for the hotel portion as well. In other words, 120K per award is the maximum you can get. And as you have found, the direct points-to-miles awards aren't quite as nice as the 1-to-1 conversion rate.

It is possible to "return" the hotel portion of a travel package and get some points back. But the number of points you get back will not be very much (50K returned points for a Cat 6 hotel cert).

One possible alternative that may help you is does your soon to be spouse have any points? Marriott will allow spouses to help the other get a needed award. In other words, if you only have 100K in your account left after the other 2 awards, and your spouse happens to have 150K, then either you could order one of the travel packages and the miles needed would be combined from one to the other.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 6:58 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Yes you can use the 7 nights later-but it has to be used in a single stay.
also-are they allowing you to cash in on two travel pkgs at the same time?This might have changed but I thought it was a once a year per redemption thing.
You might want to consider dumping your miles into BA as they have a 30%bonus going on- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...hlight=british and BA could take you to some nice places for your honeymoon
Congrats BTW!
Old Jun 5, 2006, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Hopefully I can alleviate some of the confusion:

I am using two travel packages for our honeymoon (a supervisor at the platinum desk confirmed I can use them back to back). BUT, I think I'll need some additional miles for the reward airfare.

So, I was thinking that rather than converting 250K MR points to 100K (example) UA miles, I would rather get a third travel package and get 7 nights at a hotel plus an additional 120K miles for only 270K MR points (cat. 7).

It seems to me that I would much rather spend the same MR points and get the same air miles (almost) and get to enjoy another 7 nights at any cat. 7 Marriott.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 8:34 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
If they(MR)will allow you to do it booking another travel package-and banking the 7 night stay for a later date-would be the way to go.
One suggestion.Rather tan spend the extra points for a travel pkg with a level 7 property book the travel reward for the miles and 7 nights in a level one to five property.You can always "up"your stay to a higher property when the time comes to use it.
And,again,yes, you can book the stay for a later date and transfer the miles now.There seems to be a 24 month window(12 months + a twelve month extension granted by calling MR and extending the cert)
Old Jul 10, 2006, 9:17 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Question for Chris on Travel Package award/Stay Anytime

Chris, if you have a seven night stay from an air/travel package, but the property doesn't have 7 consecutive nights for a standard award, but does have a 7 night period where it has, say, 5 nights of standard awards and two of Stay Anytime awards, is it possible to use points to upgrade two nights (or one, or three, or seven) from the standard (travel package) award to a Stay Anytime award?

Also, previously you posted that you can upgrade the hotel category award for a travel package (if necessary) by paying the difference in points, but can you also lower the level of the hotel category and receive a refund of the point differential?
Old Jul 10, 2006, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And while we're at it ...

I've been working under the assumption that the hotel part of a travel package can be extended once, making the total time available as two years.

Others swear that, because it's electronic or something, the e-cert can be extended indefinitely.

I sure would like a definitive answer.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by BigLar
the e-cert can be extended indefinitely.
My local Marriott rep tells me that it is better to renew a certificate just before you are ready to use it and only then get an additional year. I have a certificate that came due last March waiting for renewal in my desk.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frisbeeace
My local Marriott rep tells me that it is better to renew a certificate just before you are ready to use it and only then get an additional year. I have a certificate that came due last March waiting for renewal in my desk.
That's what I did, so my cert is now good until next April or May.

The question is, can I do that again, or is that the end of the line?
Old Jul 11, 2006, 1:42 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

In response to ohmark's questions:

Upgrade rewards cannot be combined with standard travel package rewards (or any hotel reward) to cover the cost of nights requiring Anytime Rewards. A separate Anytime Reward would need to be ordered.

Increasing the category of travel package rewards is a creative customer service tool used by Marriott Rewards associates to help accommodate our members' travel arrangements, but the official policy is that travel package rewards, once ordered, cannot be altered. For this reason, points would not be returned if, for example, a category six reward was used in a category five hotel.

To answer BigLar's question:

There is no fixed number of times that a travel package hotel reward could be extended. As long as the reward exists in the same form, with the same point cost and benefits, we are happy to extend it. I suspect that some Marriott Rewards associates quote "one year" just to be on the safe side, but again, this is not a rule.

I hope that helps to clarify for everyone. As usual, if anyone has additional questions I would be happy to answer them for you.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 2:47 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Thanks, Chris. Just to make sure you understand, I'm not asking about upgrade awards. The problem I'm asking about happens very frequently when attempting to use the 7 night hotel award that's part of the travel packages. All too often, you can find 4, 5, or 6 consecutive nights at a property (particularly a resort) available for standard awards, but not 7 consecutive nights. What I'm asking, and maybe you already answered, is whether for one or two of the nights that are not available as a standard award, I can pay the additional points to convert those nights to stay anytime?

If the answer is no, perhaps it's something Marriott Rewards should consider. If the hotel is available for stay anytime, and I'm willing to pay the difference in points between the standard and the stay anytime for particular nights that are otherwise not available, why isn't it a win/win situation? The hotel fills the room. I spend additional points to get the stay anytime. And I get to use my 7 night award where I want, when I want.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 1:21 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
MR-UA Transfer, Travel Packages

How long does the MR->UA transfer take?

Also, if I request the travel package now, I have seen multiple threads suggesting the hotel award can be prolonged (+1 year) or upgraded? Any details?

Thanks.

Lari
Old Aug 16, 2006, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The mileage transfer typically takes only a few days to show up in your account.

The hotel cert is good for one year from date of issue, and can be extended one year (from the date of extension, so if you're going to extend it, wait until the last minute ).

I have heard rumours that it can be extended more than once, but I'm not sure.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 3:24 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by LH747FTL
How long does the MR->UA transfer take?

Also, if I request the travel package now, I have seen multiple threads suggesting the hotel award can be prolonged (+1 year) or upgraded? Any details?

Thanks.

Lari
For me, my last transfer took nearly 2 weeks. Because I wanted the miles quickly I regretted not ringing up for an expedited transfer. (I think non elites might be charged for this service). I was told that once the on line order is in process the miles transfer cannot then be manually expedited.

Regarding the hotel portion of a travel package it now appears electronically on your account and I have been told in writing by Marriott that it does not expire (as the old paper certificates used to)
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TOMSURFER
Regarding the hotel portion of a travel package it now appears electronically on your account and I have been told in writing by Marriott that it does not expire (as the old paper certificates used to)
I'd love to have written confirmation of this. Might it be just a UK thing? I ask because I was warned by a CSR that my cert was about to expire and so I renewed it for a year.

If they never expire, it would take the pressure off me.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:29 am

Programs: usairways, marriott
We had a catagory 6 travel package and made reservations in April of '05 at Kauai Beach Club, the expiration on the certificate was Nov. '05.....We traded into the timeshare portion of the hotel, thus not needing to use our cerificate. We had to send the certificate back to Marriott and they extended it for 1 year---from the date they got the certificate back.....not the original dates. I sent it back in March of '05---so, now when I got it back it expired in March of '06.....We made reservations at Frenchman's Reef for March '06 that ended after the expiration on the certificate. We had to send it back again so that it would expire past our check out date......it was extended for another full year from when they got it back. They did check to see that we had a reservation, and I don't think they were happy about it......but, they did do it. We had to talk to more than one person at MR to get this accomplished. Some reps didn't think it could be done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.