Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select Packages - Deals from the Topic drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DelAbbot
Has anyone been able to transfer Marriott points between accounts recently?

Looking to move about 30K, should I wait until after Sept 18?
I transferred from my SPG to Marriott account 10 days back and they came across 1:1 and its still being looked into.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I transferred from my SPG to Marriott account 10 days back and they came across 1:1 and its still being looked into.
If you transferred after 18 Aug 18, 1:1 would be the correct transfer ratio as points in the Starwood account were multiplied by three because of the merger.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Firstly sorry for the laziness on my part, but having a scroll of the past few dozen pages and search, I can't find my answer.

Is it correct that you can convert the old packages into the new points-based packages? If so, is it just the case of adding the points difference between a Cat 1-4 and a Cat 6 for example? I'm one of the many that have a few Cat 1-4 certs lying around who would like to stay in somewhere a little nicer!
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:35 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie
Firstly sorry for the laziness on my part, but having a scroll of the past few dozen pages and search, I can't find my answer.

Is it correct that you can convert the old packages into the new points-based packages? If so, is it just the case of adding the points difference between a Cat 1-4 and a Cat 6 for example? I'm one of the many that have a few Cat 1-4 certs lying around who would like to stay in somewhere a little nicer!
What are the reasons for you to have A FEW TPs lying around? Just too cheap? You know the TPs are only good for one year.

The current words from Marriott is that those TPs can't be upgraded. So you'll need to go to some average places. Or stay at some foreign countries with those TPs.

Maybe we all get lucky and we can upgrade those TPs to Cat-7 properties. Then you are in business. Happy camping!
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie

The consensus seems to be that upgrading TP certificates isn't currently possible, not sure if that's intended to be a permanent thing or just until 18th Sept. If it does become a permanent thing, Marriott will have a lot of unhappy customers (and will surely have broken consumer law in a number of countries).
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Has anyone seen the P880 package before ? I am hoping to have it converted to a P910 or QP91 in the new system and get 30K points back

Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:27 pm

So I have a cat 9 certificate. This should be usable on new cat 6 right? Well no one at Marriott seems to think so. Multiple phone calls and emails. What to do now? Lawyer?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I believe I figured the corresponding codes for packages in the new system. Please check your emails with subject "new reward order confirmation" to help me complete it.

5-night packages
  • OC5 530T/P530 = NC4 QP53 (to be confirmed)

7-night packages
  • OC5 830T/P830 = NC4 QP83 (refund value: 45K)
  • OC6 870T/P870 = NC4 QP87 (refund value: 75K)
  • OC7 910T/P910 = NC5 QP91 (refund value: 105K)
  • OC8 950T/P950 = NC5 QP95 (refund value: 135K)
  • OC9 990T/P990 = NC6 QP99 (refund value: 165K)

Other 7-night packages
  • OC7 P880 = NC5 QP88 (refund value: 135K)
  • OC8 P920 = NC5 QP92 (refund value: 165K)

xx0T = initial package;
Pxx0 = partial package;
QPxx = post-merger converted partial package
bluestrudels likes this.

Last edited by MasterGeek; Sep 4, 2018 at 2:46 pm
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Please check your emails with subject "new reward order confirmation" to help me complete it.
See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30139003-post6431.html.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:10 pm

What's the refund value of the old Tier 4-5 certificate? I calculated it as 315k but haven't seen the Tier certs being eligible for refund.
naroowal likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by flymore55
So I have a cat 9 certificate. This should be usable on new cat 6 right? Well no one at Marriott seems to think so. Multiple phone calls and emails. What to do now? Lawyer?
I suspect that your old cert needs to be converted into a new category cert before it is usable. You want to have them cancel the old category 9 cert and issue you a replacement NC6 which should be a code QP99 for 165k points (refunded from the OC9 cert). I assume this will be done automatically by 9/18 if you can wait. If not call in and try a different agent. Once you have a new category 6 cert you should be able to get it done.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:45 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Since this thread has a lot of old pre-consolidation information that can be confusing to members. We are closing this thread.

Please continue discussing the Marriott Travel Package awards in the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.