Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:30 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by FrustratedinCA
You're not wrong. However, CSRs seem to be giving out more misinformation. I was told the following about changing anything related to my cert-attached reservation:

"If you modify your stay dates after 18 August, you will be subject to the new Free Night Award Chart point values. Extending your stay or shifting your stay dates will result in a recalculation of points required for your reservation."

When I pointed out that this didn't make sense given the no upgrade policy (which they mentioned earlier in the conversation) and asked how that would be possible if I couldn't upgrade my cert, I got the following response:

"The answers we are finding are don't speak specific to your individual circumstances. While we can't make promises, if and when you do need to change your dates, please connect with us and we can try to work with the hotel for the best solution."

What the official policy or options will be after the 18th seem to be anyone's guess. The CSRs definitely don't know what the final word is.
You are perfectly correct with this. We do not know what will come out after 9/18/2018. But you can certainly fight to move the dates and keep the original TP attached. This is a better fight than the fight with the un-attached TPs.

This is actually good news that the MR rep promised to work with the members on the existing reservations.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by linzjane88
Lurker who had a great stay planned until this whole merger nonsense happened. I wanted to run a few details past you guys since you all seem to be the most knowledgeable about the packages. We have a stay booked at the Maui Residence Inn over spring break that I booked with points advance. I bought a OC5 with 120k SW points with the intention of upgrading to a OC8 once I earned the points form my Marriott Biz in another month or so. Under the old setup I would have paid 360K, pretty much tapping my points out. The hotel ended up going from a OC8 to a NC6. But now not being able to use the cert at all is messing things up. If I took the 45k refund I could cover 5 nights which is better than nothing but certainly not as good as the 7 nights I had planned.

TL;DR: *if* they decided to be nice and allow upgrades in the future, would I pay the difference on the new points chart between categories--60k? Or would it be the difference in what I paid already (270k) to current package price (390K) for a total of 120k?
The Residence Inn you are referring to is now a New Category 5, so 210K points for 7 nights.

Thanks for reminding me about this property. I went and made multiple speculative points advance bookings throught 2019. I bet it will jump to NC6 in early 2019 as part of the yearly category changes.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by linzjane88
Lurker who had a great stay planned until this whole merger nonsense happened. I wanted to run a few details past you guys since you all seem to be the most knowledgeable about the packages. We have a stay booked at the Maui Residence Inn over spring break that I booked with points advance. I bought a OC5 with 120k SW points with the intention of upgrading to a OC8 once I earned the points form my Marriott Biz in another month or so. Under the old setup I would have paid 360K, pretty much tapping my points out. The hotel ended up going from a OC8 to a NC6. But now not being able to use the cert at all is messing things up. If I took the 45k refund I could cover 5 nights which is better than nothing but certainly not as good as the 7 nights I had planned.

TL;DR: *if* they decided to be nice and allow upgrades in the future, would I pay the difference on the new points chart between categories--60k? Or would it be the difference in what I paid already (270k) to current package price (390K) for a total of 120k?
Maui Residence Inn is not a NC6. It's a NC5. The Marriott Wailea is a NC6.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
After an hour on hold and dealing with a supervisor, I was told that canceling my Tier 1-3 package will get me a total of 45,000 points refunded. Obviously this is amiss and I hung up. Any ideas on how to get the full 195,000 refunded?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:51 pm

Another rant that could have been saved but just too annoyed I wanted to kick while they are down.
Booked 2 nights on 08/19 (day after the Apocalypse) at Marriott site, system stole 15K points from my account immediately and gave nothing in return.
Now the stay (08/24 08/26)h ad already passed, and still no response from Marriott Customer No Care after multiple attempts to contact them.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ddjen11
Another rant that could have been saved but just too annoyed I wanted to kick while they are down.
Booked 2 nights on 08/19 (day after the Apocalypse) at Marriott site, system stole 15K points from my account immediately and gave nothing in return.
Now the stay (08/24 08/26)h ad already passed, and still no response from Marriott Customer No Care after multiple attempts to contact them.
Did you mean to post this somewhere else? This is the Travel Packages thread.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:57 pm

Yes sorry!
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by callmedtop
After an hour on hold and dealing with a supervisor, I was told that canceling my Tier 1-3 package will get me a total of 45,000 points refunded. Obviously this is amiss and I hung up. Any ideas on how to get the full 195,000 refunded?
Same thing here. I get the uneasy feeling in my stomach that some of us may have to join together and take legal action.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:49 pm

I called back again was able to get a refund of 195,000 points which instantly posted to my account. Problem solved.
Jennlynd likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:53 pm

Oops, your right! Thank you!
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:08 am

Up date my situation

Originally Posted by Yanhui Leung

just got an email from Marriott, they canceled my OC5 then ordered NC4 for me , the expiration extended

Reward Details

• Description: PARTIAL PACKAGE - 7 NIGHTS CATEGORY 1-4
  • Reward code: QP83
  • Valid through: Thursday, August 29, 2019
  • Total points redeemed: 45,000
  • Confirmed on: Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Two days after Marriott issued me the NC4(QP83), When I logged in my account I found the new cert disappeared!!! I didn’t do anything with it. Tried to call again,talked to the CSR , they said don’t know the reason, just asked me to have patience and would let me know when the problems fixed. God knows when!
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond
I called back again was able to get a refund of 195,000 points which instantly posted to my account. Problem solved.
which number did you call?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:07 am

Do we know yet what happens to certs detached from existing reservations? I had an Old Category 9 (Code P990) that I attached to Domes of Elounda before the merger for travel in May of 2019. Domes is now Cat 7 and will be Cat 8 in 2019. If I detach my cert, does it become a New Category 6 just like the floaters?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by justned
which number did you call?
Standard US Marriott Rewards number.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nikespex
Do we know yet what happens to certs detached from existing reservations? I had an Old Category 9 (Code P990) that I attached to Domes of Elounda before the merger for travel in May of 2019. Domes is now Cat 7 and will be Cat 8 in 2019. If I detach my cert, does it become a New Category 6 just like the floaters?
Yes. I would keep Domes if you're able, that is outsized value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.