Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
What are the codes in the 5 night certs. Need to know. I have one in my account also can attach to an SPG legacy property
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by zerodegre
What are the codes in the 5 night certs. Need to know. I have one in my account also can attach to an SPG legacy property
Your code will be in the confirmation email sent when you ordered your package. A Marriott agent informed me that it is still not possible to attach a cert to an SPG property until possibly 9/18, YMMV.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Originally Posted by johnstein
Great. It seems it is worth all the way going up to NC7-QP107 before category 8 kicks in next year.

I didn't find NC6 hotels I really want to stay for 7 nights. But there are many ones at category 7-8 I would love to stay.

Definitely, it is worth a try. Is there anyone successful doing this?

If one time upgrade opportunity is given, I will definitely upgrade my cert all the way up. (special thanks to spg luxury card)
Do the math as I'm not so sure trying to upgrade (or even holding on) to a NC7 is worth it to everyone. The turn in value of a NC7 is worth 315k points which is sufficient to book 6 nights at a Cat 7 hotel (or Cat 8 through the end of the year) using 5th night free and you would still have 15k points left over. To me, the flexibility of booking with points may not be worth the 45k savings on a 7 night stay. I imagine at the most aspirational properties are going to get exceedingly difficult to find 7 nights in a row...and I might like the flexibility to stay a shorter period anyhow. Bottom line, to me getting a hold of an NC7 isn't a slam dunk (if upgrade cost is based on the turn in value of points - which has been the case thus far).

Last edited by ocdb8r; Aug 29, 2018 at 2:29 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:15 am

Update

Originally Posted by Yanhui Leung
Today i called to cancel a booking with OC5 which was booked before 18/08 cos my plan changed.
after canceling it , I saw the OC5 returned into my account immediately. But about 30min later I logged out and logged in again, I found the OC5 disappeared from my account.
Tried to call the customer care several time, no one knew what was going on and cannot help to bring OC5 back into my account.
so frustrated and disappointed
just got an email from Marriott, they canceled my OC5 then ordered NC4 for me , the expiration extended

Reward Details

• Description: PARTIAL PACKAGE - 7 NIGHTS CATEGORY 1-4
  • Reward code: QP83
  • Valid through: Thursday, August 29, 2019
  • Total points redeemed: 45,000
  • Confirmed on: Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I have two Old Category 7 certificates, but one of them is weird. It has the P880 code and a value of 135K points instead of 105K. I got it when I tried to upgrade from Cat 1-5 to Cat 7 (I had 60K points for the upgrade, it took the agent a while to process it, the agent came back saying I needed another extra 30K points for the upgrade but they gave them to me anyways as a goodwill for my patience during the call)

Think I can convert it to regular P910 or NC5-105 QP91 certificate and get 30K points back ?

The image below is from the Marriott app:
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by ocdb8r
Do the math as I'm not so sure trying to upgrade (or even holding on) to a NC7 is worth it to everyone. The turn in value of a NC7 is worth 315k points which is sufficient to book 6 nights at a Cat 7 hotel (or Cat 8 through the end of the year) using 5th night free and you would still have 15k points left over. To me, the flexibility of booking with points may not be worth the 45k savings on a 7 night stay. I imagine at the most aspirational properties are going to get exceedingly difficult to find 7 nights in a row...and I might like the flexibility to stay a shorter period anyhow. Bottom line, to me getting a hold of an NC7 isn't a slam dunk (if upgrade cost is based on the turn in value of points - which has been the case thus far).
It's astonishing to see that nobody seems to want to stay 7 nights in one hotel (including myself). For me, it is worth upgrading to the cat 7 as it covers peak time redemption as well.

I much prefer to travel during peak time, as it is much more fun to me.

Last edited by johnstein; Aug 29, 2018 at 10:44 am
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I have an old cat 7 (now a Cat 5) Travel Package Certificate that I'm trying to use as at SPG hotel Cat 5..... not having much luck. Getting lots of different answers... varying from "call back in a month or so" to "these are not valid at SPG properties" ... being bounced back between SPG and Marriott. What a mess. Definitely not "Ready for Prime Time"
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
It's astonishing to see that nobody doesn't seem to want to stay 7 nights in one hotel (including myself). For me, it is worth upgrading to the cat 7 as it covers peak time redemption as well.

I beleive, most of them are single or 20-something people who travel to big cities.

I have a partner and we like to spend our 7 nights at beach destinations (eg: Hawaii, Bali, Seychelles) as you can do a different activity each day (beach, snorkel, boat tour, surf..)

One can also use the "HQ" technique to get advantage of the 7 nights: Stay in Osaka or Kyoto and do day trips in the Kansai Kobe and Hiroshima area since they are easily reachable by bullet train.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:24 am

What is my best option for a previous cat 9 certificate? What could I expect to be refunded? Has anyone had any luck attaching to a reservation they made prior to the rate change? For example a 7 night that used to cost 270k, but now costs 300k+?

What would the cost be to upgrade to a cat 7?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I beleive, most of them are single or 20-something people who travel to big cities.

I have a partner and we like to spend our 7 nights at beach destinations (eg: Hawaii, Bali, Seychelles) as you can do a different activity each day (beach, snorkel, boat tour, surf..)

One can also use the "HQ" technique to get advantage of the 7 nights: Stay in Osaka or Kyoto and do day trips in the Kansai Kobe and Hiroshima area since they are easily reachable by bullet train.
When traveling with children, the logistics of frequent moves is much more complicated than when traveling solo. Because of the amount of equipment involved, my family rarely take less than 7-night ski trips. Between beach and ski trips, I have never found it difficult to utilize all 7 nights of a travel package.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It's astonishing to see that nobody seems to want to stay 7 nights in one hotel (including myself). For me, it is worth upgrading to the cat 7 as it covers peak time redemption as well.

Good luck finding 7 nights of award availability of “standard rooms” during peak time demand periods in the next 12 months.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Good luck finding 7 nights of award availability of “standard rooms” during peak time demand periods in the next 12 months.
It'll be harder than usual but not sure anyone needs "good luck" to find it. Unless you're talking St Regis Bora Bora or the Al Maha.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It's astonishing to see that nobody seems to want to stay 7 nights in one hotel (including myself)..
I'm fortunate that during my years staying at Marriotts I've earned enough Travel Packages to cover *most* of the world's cities where I do want to spend seven nights. But I will admit, it gets tougher after a while...

In the new program, the value leverage you get on the FF mile portion of the TP's is much, much less. I suspect most of my future Marriott redemptions will be five-nighters, which opens up a lot more travel scenarios for me. That's closer to the length of stay we'd do for a beach destination, for example.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:34 pm

I just can't get over the lack of communication. It's honestly mind blowing. No emails to package holders before a month-long blackout, no notice of any rule changes, no information on what happens to floater packages until it's already happened. Then the fixes are just as bad! It's been nine days since "Marriott Rewards Insider" and "Starwood Lurker IV" posted that the 30,000 refunds would happen and the blackout period for travel packages has ended. Nine days later and link we're supposed to request refunds through has been edited so it no longer has a dropdown for the package deals that we were told to fillout! No CSR's seem to have any clue about this happening and then "unhappening", the blackout period is still in place for all intents and purposes, yet some customers are able to HUCA until a CSR mashed it through the system. What a clusterf#&%
pinniped, Happy, EDIflyer and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Isn't that the whole point of peak rates? Plus, travel packs are great for peak season travel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.