Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Yanhui Leung

i didn’t do that and no 45k return to account

You can get your cert back. Make sure to call Marriott Rewards department and not the general reservations. Make it clear it was their error. With this TP cert fiasco whenever I have pointed out the problems were all due to Marriott's error(s) they helped me, eventually. The first time they botched up when the agent said there was nothing she could do to fix Marriott's mistake I told her in no uncertain terms that she would need to connect me to a supervisor which she did and the supervisor then "fixed" it. And, by "fixed" it, I mean he thought he fixed it but he made a mistake and had upgraded my package from an OC8 (NC5) to an OC9 (NC6) and charged me 30k points for the upgrade which was wasted on me since I only needed an NC5 hotel. But, at least he tried and a few days and many calls later I am whole again with my replacement NC5 cert in my account and points exactly where they were before they cancelled my cert.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:32 pm

I was able to call to downgrade my OC8 and received 30k points refund.
  • Description: PARTIAL PACKAGE - 7 NIGHTS CATEGORY 5
  • Reward code: QP91
  • Valid through: Tuesday, August 27, 2019
  • Total points redeemed: 105,000
  • Confirmed on: Monday, August 27, 2018
imverge and rny321 like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Yes, I thought that Marriott's policy of having Starwood point conversion as 1:3 being generous. I also thought giving Starwood Gold with Marriott Gold, and Starwood Platinum to Marriott Platinum generous.

So yes, they are generous to the Starwood members.

Obviously they run out of money being generous ..... or the shareholders have knocked the door saying, I need to see value from my investments.
In fact, I agree with that. Without the 1:3 conversion policy, we weren't able to see the surge of lots of floating 7 night certificates in the last few months.
Marriott was also very generous turning SPG gold which is virtually useless into Marriott gold which is lot more useful.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Attn: Marriott competitor

This idea may be a bit crazy, but a savvy competitor could swoop in now with a marketing coup. - Just ask us to surrender our Marriott certificates for equivalent certificates (or points) in your program. Logistically, it's easier than most status matches. To start, just have us book a 7-night award stay checking in tomorrow, which would automatically be nonrefundable. Then, the member can cancel the award and email proof of cancellation. (Or you can ask us to close out our Marriott account, but I'll need more incentive to give up my Lifetime Marriott Silver.)
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by eethan
This idea may be a bit crazy, but a savvy competitor could swoop in now with a marketing coup. - Just ask us to surrender our Marriott certificates for equivalent certificates (or points) in your program. Logistically, it's easier than most status matches. To start, just have us book a 7-night award stay checking in tomorrow, which would automatically be nonrefundable. Then, the member can cancel the award and email proof of cancellation. (Or you can ask us to close out our Marriott account, but I'll need more incentive to give up my Lifetime Marriott Silver.)
Why would a hotel chain want to give you a 7 night stay for free, exactly?

Status matches work because it is only marginal costs which arise only when you stay with them. They are not going to foot the bill for 7 nights of free stays.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:40 am

Wyndham very briefly offered a 4 to 1 match for SPG members that donated their points to charity instead of transferring to Marriott. It was cancelled after a couple hours - presumably due fraud issues. So - not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Originally Posted by stargold
Why would a hotel chain want to give you a 7 night stay for free, exactly?

Status matches work because it is only marginal costs which arise only when you stay with them. They are not going to foot the bill for 7 nights of free stays.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by charlesonmission
Wyndham very briefly offered a 4 to 1 match for SPG members that donated their points to charity instead of transferring to Marriott. It was cancelled after a couple hours - presumably due fraud issues. So - not completely out of the realm of possibility.
Besides, Wyndham is Ramada, not in the same league as Starwood, and Starpoints (or three Marriott points) were worth more than four Wyndham points each in redemption value, so you'd actually lose value by making the exchange. The exchange rate would have to be 1:5 or better IMHO

Poaching Starwood members may have been a good idea, but suffered from the implementation.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:22 am

Presumably the fact that: 1. it was Wyndham, and 2. it was cancelled after just hours, shows that the same deal is not going to be offered by any credible competitor to the combined SPG/Marriott chain.

Bear in mind that we are talking about anything up to 7 nights at the chain's most expensive properties. That's one heck of a customer acquisition cost, in exchange for what?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
I edited the Wiki.

It appears NC4 is QP83, NC5 is QP91, NC6 is QP99. Assuming my original guess is right, NC7 is QP107.

Happy received a NC80 which coded as QP80 which seems to be a special case.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by rny321
I edited the Wiki.

It appears NC4 is QP83, NC5 is QP91, NC6 is QP99. Assuming my original guess is right, NC7 is QP107.

Thanks! With the amount of posts in this thread I think the wiki is underutilized here.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:07 am

I edited the Wiki.

QP80 is the +30k conversion (from Nick's work). Same as QP88 and I presume 96.

OC5->NC4-45 QP83
OC6->NC4-75 QP80
OC7->NC5-105 QP91
OC8->NC5-135 QP88
OC9->NC6-165 QP99
OCT3->NC6-195 QP96
OCT5->NC7-315 QP107

The last two are guesses.

​​​​​​​Few data points suggest that upgrades and downgrades are being allowed based on the point values attached to the category designation. Maybe this is by design for implementation after Sept18, maybe a one time only, or maybe something allowed in the system but not supposed to happen. Might be worth attempting to upgrade if that is your aim before that option is closed, if in fact it will be.
Happy and rny321 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I edited the Wiki.

QP80 is NC4 with 75K pts versus QP83 with 45K pts. Skimthetrees has special codes for his OC8 to NC5.
I believe there is a set of codes for those OCs that have overpaid 30K, i.e. only apply to OC6, OC8 and Tier1-3 when you convert.

I also agree with zozeppelin's assessment of the situation.

Else the sequence on the "normal" OCs would be as what you listed above in the increment of 8.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:08 am

I have an OC7 that is now an NC5 by new table. I wonder if I can call and go from an QP91 to a QP99 which would end up being 60k points for a two tier upgrade. Or if I could convince them that since I have an NC5 now that I should go from a QP88 to a QP91 for 30k points. Certainly that would take some acting. But in all seriousness, has anyone had any luck UPGRADING the newly converted TPs?

Last edited by upsidedown; Aug 28, 2018 at 1:43 pm Reason: Type
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by Happy
QP80 is NC4 with 75K pts versus QP83 with 45K pts. Skimthetrees has special codes for his OC8 to NC5.
I believe there is a set of codes for those OCs that have overpaid 30K, i.e. only apply to OC6, OC8 and Tier1-3 when you convert.

I also agree with zozeppelin's assessment of the situation.

Else the sequence on the "normal" OCs would be as what you listed above in the increment of 8.
I was aware of the special cases. I decided to leave the decision about whether or not to add them to the Wiki to others because I wasn't sure if the additional data points would make things clearer or more confusing for those who haven't been following the drama.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:19 am
Suspended

Has anyone been able to downgrade their cert more than 1 level? i.e. Cat 9 to Cat 6 for a 90k point refund?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.