Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:13 pm

It's been almost a week since a representative said we will be able to make a reservation again with a certificate.
I get their decision on conversion+refund, but it is unheard of holding thousands( or more) of legitimate TP certificates back in their room.
They should normalize all booking process with a certificate as soon as possible. It should be their priority.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know of a way to make a reservation without actually applying the points or taking out of your account trying to do a five night. Like a dummy reservation
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by zerodegre
Does anyone know of a way to make a reservation without actually applying the points or taking out of your account trying to do a five night. Like a dummy reservation
book it using the flexible rate, it doesn’t require any prepayment and cancellation is free up to a day or two before your actual stay
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
Would this be on points ??
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond
Just spent 40 minutes with the loyalty department that handles the travel package, and they told me they cannot refund the 7-night package. I told them I see people getting refunds for the hotel portion, and he told me his supervisor says it cannot be done.

How incompetent can these people be? I even said this is not the first time I had done this and how much the refund points would be. The person seems to understand but still says no. What the F are these people doing holding onto our points?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Has anyone been successful in doing a points transfer larger than 100K into anothers account to book an award stay? I see the T&C say this is still possible and have confirmed on marriott Twitter but haven't been able to get an agent to do so yet. They say either the system is down, no longer exists, or no longer is allowed. Would appreciate the guidance
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by johnstein
On the second thought, I fear that they may simply demand price difference between the old and new charts. For example, in a conservative case,
OC5 (270,000) -> NC5 (390,000) : whopping 120k
OC7 (330,000) -> NC6 (510,000) : again whopping 180k
OC9 (390,000) -> NC7 (570,000) : 180k.

woops.. upgrade costs would be prohibitively expensive, I won't be able to upgrade at my current point balances..
I agree and my guess is that when Marriott finally makes a REAL statement on Travel Packages (floating certificates, reservation changes, SPG property bookings) it will be as follows:

DOWNGRADE
1-time one category downgrade with 30K point refund only for categories negatively affected by the new category map (OC6, OC8, OCTier1-3)

UPGRADE
Based on the new Travel Package rates (see above quote for rate conversions by category)

So, if you have an OC8 (NC5) and downgrade to OC7 (NC5) to get your 30K refund and then upgrade from NC5 to NC6 you will need 180K points for a net cost of 510K (360K - 30K refund + 180K), which is the same as the new Travel Package rate for a category 6 property. Meaning you get no value for booking prior to Aug 18 armed with the old Travel Package rates unless you attached a reservation to a property and going forward do not need to change dates. If your property did not change to a new category after Aug 18, you should be OK to change dates.

If this downgrade/upgrade scenario is executed by Marriott, then not releasing the new category map, letting CSRs misinform their customers, setting a hard cut off date, having a blackout period, using SPG properties as post Aug 18 bookings bait, etc was not a bug; it was a feature realized under the guise of the merger integration to get a lot of points off their books. Most importantly, off their books at the category rate they ultimately wanted by duping consumers that need date changes, wanted to book an SPG property, or who were deceived by the multitude of ill-informed statements made by their CSRs prior to Aug 18 regarding the very information Marriott hid to obfuscate their OWN customers!

But, hey they put a Mormon bible in my room so they must be ethical. RIGHT?
estnet, Happy, imverge and 1 others like this.

Last edited by LDoc; Aug 26, 2018 at 3:12 am
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: Marriott
Originally Posted by LDoc
I agree and my guess is that when Marriott finally makes a REAL statement on Travel Packages (floating certificates, reservation changes, book an SPG property) it will be as follows:

DOWNGRADE
1-time one category downgrade with 30K point refund only for categories negatively affected by the new category map (OC6, OC8, OCTier1-3)

UPGRADE
Based on the new Travel Package rates (see above quote for rate conversions by category)

So, if you have an OC8 and downgrade to OC7 (NC5) to get your 30K refund and then upgrade from NC5 to NC6 you will need 180K points for a net cost of 510K (360K - 30K refund + 180K), which is the same as the new Travel Package rate for a category 6 property. Meaning you get no value for booking prior to Aug 18 armed with the old Travel Package rates unless you attached a reservation to a property and going forward do not need to change dates. If your property did not change to a new category after Aug 18, you should be OK to change dates.

If this downgrade/upgrade scenario is executed by Marriott, by not releasing the new category map, having CSRs misinform their customers, having a hard cut off date, having a blackout period, using SPG properties as post Aug 18 bookings bait, etc was not a bug; it was the feature done under the guise of the merger integration to get a lot of points off their books. Most importantly, off their books at the category rate they ultimately wanted for the consumers that need date changes, wanted to book an SPG property, or who were dupped by a multitude of ill-informed statements by the Marriott CSRs regarding the new category maps after Aug 18.

But, they they put a Mormon bible in my room so they must be ethical. RIGHT?
Totally. Had they given notice of the mapping, as ANY ETHICAL COMPANY would have done, the above scenario would be both ethical and justifiable.

HOWEVER, since we had ZERO notice of the mapping and were robbed of the opportunity to upgrade at the pre-August 18th rates, that scenario is neither ethical nor justifiable. Worse yet, Marriott literally took people's money and let them buy SPG points to upgrade to category certificates that mapped to the same as the category they already had. They defrauded customers out of $300 or more! If they don't reverse course for those members, that might be criminal.

If Marriott wants to make up for this disaster, they need to give legacy TP holders a chance to do a one-time upgrade at the old rates (30,000 pts). That way we can make the education choice we would have made before the merger, had Marriott been transparent and released the mapping in advance. Anything short of that and most of us will still be upset, and rightly so.

The merge problems (including the legacy TP mapping) have been a PR disaster for Marriott. If Marriott doesn't fix this TP issue and the other MR redemption problems, they stand to lose a majority of their most loyal customers. I still hold out hope that they'll step up and do the right thing, but if they don't, we'll vote with our wallets and take our money and business travel elsewhere.
Brendan, tbm13, gtu2004 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:02 am
Suspended

So is the consensus right now that we're going to have to wait until Sep 18 (at the earliest) to use our legacy travel package certs? I've got a hotel I'm wanting to book and I'm worried that its going to run out of award rooms for my dates. I don't have any more Marriott points so I can't book a holder.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by FrustratedinCA
Totally. Had they given notice of the mapping, as ANY ETHICAL COMPANY would have done, the above scenario would be both ethical and justifiable.

HOWEVER, since we had ZERO notice of the mapping and were robbed of the opportunity to upgrade at the pre-August 18th rates, that scenario is neither ethical nor justifiable. Worse yet, Marriott literally took people's money and let them buy SPG points to upgrade to category certificates that mapped to the same as the category they already had. They defrauded customers out of $300 or more! If they don't reverse course for those members, that might be criminal.

If Marriott wants to make up for this disaster, they need to give legacy TP holders a chance to do a one-time upgrade at the old rates (30,000 pts). That way we can make the education choice we would have made before the merger, had Marriott been transparent and released the mapping in advance. Anything short of that and most of us will still be upset, and rightly so.

The merge problems (including the legacy TP mapping) have been a PR disaster for Marriott. If Marriott doesn't fix this TP issue and the other MR redemption problems, they stand to lose a majority of their most loyal customers. I still hold out hope that they'll step up and do the right thing, but if they don't, we'll vote with our wallets and take our money and business travel elsewhere.
Couldn't have said this better!
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
At the moment I have a certificate which I will need to un-attach and reattach to another hotel but I think I will wait a couple of months when everything settles down, as I know IT change like this is ALWAYS complicated and messy.
Counsellor likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by kapooncha
So is the consensus right now that we're going to have to wait until Sep 18 (at the earliest) to use our legacy travel package certs? I've got a hotel I'm wanting to book and I'm worried that its going to run out of award rooms for my dates. I don't have any more Marriott points so I can't book a holder.
You can book A Points Advance reservation without having the points
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
3.14.c. Once a Travel Package is processed:

i. airline Miles cannot be transferred back to the Membership Account; and

ii. the hotel award portion of the Travel Package is non-refundable to the Member if cancelled or not used.

Terms & Conditions

3.14.c.ii was not in the old Terms and Conditions.
atojbk likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by pwdump
You can book A Points Advance reservation without having the points
Can I book a reservation on points without them having to come out of my account. I’m trying to put on hold a five night reservation for one of my 5 night certs certificates. Then when booking is avail with certs again. I will apply it. If there please let me know how.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:10 am

In a trip right now so not able to call, but if I already have a new travel pack, can it be attached ?

I wasn't able to do points advance since I had the requisite number in points in the account. I suppose I need to make a dummy booking to use up the points and then a second reservation on advance, and then try to attach the new cat 4?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.