Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rny321
The old system was symmetric. A Cat 1-5 package was T830 and the partial was P830. A Cat 6 was T870 and the partial was P870. A Cat 7 was T910 and a partial was T910. ….

If the new partials work the same way and the Cat 1-4 is QP83 and the Cat 6 is QP99, my guess is the Cat 5 would be QP91 and the Cat 7 would be QP108. If the new Cat 1-4 is QP80, I don't believe MPG would use fractions to designate intervals, but considering how difficult the company has made some things - who knows?

Knowing the codes prevented some, but not all, of the potential agent errors when changing categories.
I am confused on why there are QP83 for Cat 1-4 (from Dr.Leo, with 45K) and crimsona (armed with QP80) got his 45K converted to Cat 1-4 but did not say whether his is a QP83 or a QP80, his old one was 45K that we knew.

Would like to see crimsona provides the actual code of his Cat 1-4 that should be the same QP83 as Dr, Leo got but until he gives that info we have no idea.

The further info would help those holding an OC6 on what code to use when they convert.

This is what shows on my confirmation email received on Sunday.

Description: PARTIAL PACKAGE - 7 NIGHTS CATEGORY 1-4
  • Reward code: QP80
  • Valid through: Monday, August 19, 2019
  • Total points redeemed: 75,000
  • Confirmed on: Sunday, August 19, 2018
PARTIAL PACKAGE - 7 NIGHTS CATEGORY 1-4
Reward certificate number: XXXXnnnn
Total points redeemed:75,000

Are you able to offer an explanation on the discrepancy in the same Partial 1-4 codes, i.e. QP80 versus QP83?

Last edited by Happy; Aug 22, 2018 at 3:44 pm
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by Happy
I am confused on why there are QP83 for Cat 1-4 (from the 45K) and crimsona got his 45K converted to Cat 1-4 (armed with QP80) but did not say whether his is a QP83 or a QP80, his old one was 45K that we knew.

Description:Total points redeemed:PARTIAL PACKAGE - 7 NIGHTS CATEGORY 1-4
Reward certificate number: XXXXnnnnTotal points redeemed:75,000Reward Terms & Conditions
I am confused as well. With the old system, the letter code distinguished the package from the hotel partial. I am just trying to get at least two data points so that I can potential determine the rest. Since the steps aren't all 5K/night or even 10K/night, the relationship, if any, between categories may not be as simple as before.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rny321
I am confused as well. With the old system, the letter code distinguished the package from the hotel partial. I am just trying to get at least two data points so that I can potential determine the rest. Since the steps aren't all 5K/night or even 10K/night, the relationship, if any, between categories may not be as simple as before.
Tonight when Asia call centers open, I am going to call them and see

1) if I can get some answers on the QP80 - i.e. if I can cancel it to get 75K pts back because it clearly shows 75K.

2) if I can convert my 2 other OC1-5 floaters to the NC1-4, i.e. QP83. I have a reservation in 3rd week of October that can use the cert. It is never too early to get the right certs in the account versus waiting for Marriott "to do right thing:" ...

I hope the Asian centers would be informed by now on what is going on. They always are far more competent than their North America counterpart and the phone wait time is a lot less.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
One question, where did you get this "QP80" displayed? I can't find it in my account.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by zig2
One question, where did you get this "QP80" displayed? I can't find it in my account.
I do not believe it is displayed in your account. It is on the confirmation email. Website will only show certs with name. The mobile app will also show the points value.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:09 pm

I have a problem I hope someone can help if you've had this experience before:

Prior to 8/17, I have an old Category 8 travel package that I attached to a hotel reservation. That hotel will go up in category after the transition. Now, when I log in, I only see the reservation for the hotel but at the NEW RATE which is the new Category 6. The certificate that was attached to it is gone!!

Not only did they delete the certificate, the hotel was also updated to reflect the new higher redemption requirement. I didn't receive any Order Confirmation email for the package I redeemed. At that time, I got the airline miles and the certificate shows it was attached to the reservation (I have screenshots of). Where can I check to confirm that this certificate is still there?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since 9:30am HK Time, have been listening to music and dual languages robot messages on the Hong Kong number for the past 15 min - that is surreal. It used to have a rep within a few minutes...

Robot Message - Please remain on the line to maintain your priority. Or visit our website Marriott.com for information...

would give it another 15 min then I have to give up.

UPDATE:

No go because their system does not even have the new conversion table as of this moment.

The nice young lady who took my call said they were bombarded by calls since Monday with virtually every call was about the TP. Because each call takes longer than usual (to explain to customers their hands are tied, nothing they could actually help) they are now open later than usual to field the calls. She can see my QP80 in my account, but she does not have any knowledge on how the new table looks like due to it is not in their system yet.

Regardless the telephone numbers for Hong Kong and China are different, they are both routed to the Call Center in Canton (Guangchou). If you are calling from Hong Kong, the Hong Kong number is toll free.
My understanding is, the Australia number also is routed to the Malaysia call center, which has a different number for Malaysia/Singapore.

In case anyone wants to try international call centers. here is the information from a blog

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/05/22/...ever-picks-up/

Marriott has taken down the customer service call center numbers page from its site. At least my old bookmark no longer works. Google links give me a blank page.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 22, 2018 at 8:11 pm
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: all
Marriott needs to get their act together on packages, Its a mess
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by pantanal
Marriott needs to get their act together on packages, Its a mess
Entirely caused by them. If they'd announced a reasonable conversion plan in advance none of this would have happened.
GUWonder, EDIflyer and wonderman like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I am confused on why there are QP83 for Cat 1-4 (from Dr.Leo, with 45K) and crimsona (armed with QP80) got his 45K converted to Cat 1-4 but did not say whether his is a QP83 or a QP80, his old one was 45K that we knew.

Would like to see crimsona provides the actual code of his Cat 1-4 that should be the same QP83 as Dr, Leo got but until he gives that info we have no idea.

The further info would help those holding an OC6 on what code to use when they convert.

PARTIAL PACKAGE - 7 NIGHTS CATEGORY 1-4
Reward certificate number: XXXXnnnn
Total points redeemed:75,000

Are you able to offer an explanation on the discrepancy in the same Partial 1-4 codes, i.e. QP80 versus QP83?
Turns out it ended up in outlook spam folder. I gave QP80 to the rep, but they found something else similar instead

• Reward code: QP83
  • Valid through: Wednesday, August 21, 2019
  • Total points redeemed: 45,000
  • Confirmed on: Tuesday, August 21, 2018
Happy and rny321 like this.

Last edited by crimsona; Aug 22, 2018 at 9:35 pm
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: Marriott
An SPG rep finally responded to my questions via Facebook. I asked, "What happens to an old Cat 8 certificate that was attached to a new Cat 6 before 8/18? If for some reason we need to change our travel dates, will we still be able to get the same hotel? Or will we our cert be downgraded to a Cat 5?"

The response was, "If you modify your stay dates after 18 August, you will be subject to the new Free Night Award Chart point values. Extending your stay or shifting your stay dates will result in a recalculation of points required for your reservation."
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:56 pm

My wife just let me know we are likely going to have to postpone our trip to Hawaii in October.

Have a Tier4-5, 7 night Certificate for the Ritz Carlton Kapalau.

Not looking forward to trying to change the dates...
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I do not believe it is displayed in your account. It is on the confirmation email. Website will only show certs with name. The mobile app will also show the points value.
Do you mean I need to attach the certificate to a reservation first to see it? In the app I can't find a way to see floater certs.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:43 pm

OK, on 8/15 I redeemed 360K points for a desired Cat 6 property in Tokyo. I got a Cat 8 package based on my assumptions about the new category map based on various blogs and posts, but more importantly because of the recommendations by the CSR at the time of redemption (i.e. "that hotel will be covered with this Cat 8 package", "you can upgrade", "you can extend it once to make sure you get the room for Oct 2019", etc). I could not attach the certificate to the property because it is for an event I am going to in Oct 2019 and Marriott's system does not book more than a year out. On 8/19 the old Cat 8 mapped to a new Cat 5 and I am not happy because I had a Cat 6 property in mind and the Cat 5 hotels in Tokyo are not going to adequately accommodate my needs for the event.

Today 8/22, I look online (see pic) and my old Cat 8 is showing up as a new(?) Cat 8. Is it a new Cat 8? Am I missing something?

NOTE: If the CSR didn't mislead me, or the new category map was already made public, I would have redeemed for a Cat 9 (30K more points) that maps to Cat 6 and been happy. Even today I would give the 30K points to have a Cat 6 would be fine with me.

Last edited by LDoc; Aug 22, 2018 at 11:29 pm
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:31 pm

I don't see where it says new cert. The 7N TP cert naming convention hasn't been updated and it is still the old category, regardless virgin or upgraded/down cert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.