Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Just cancelled my Tier 1-3 and got 195K back...first try!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Willbur
The response to my request for downgrade and subsequent 30k refund...

"We are currently experiencing technical difficulties with our website. Our corporate office has been notified of the issue, and this issue should be corrected soon. I’m sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience in this matter. Please know any needed refunded Marriott Rewards points will be returned as soon as possible."
Good news - the agent who answered my second request was more knowledgeable. The bad news... he told me to do what I just did - the exact request he was responding to.

"Thank you for contacting Marriott Customer Care regarding your travel package details.
As you know, this past Saturday, new Travel Packages became available for purchase. At the same time, due to system capabilities, we had to place a month-long blackout on cancellations and modifications to existing Travel Package certificates. After pressure testing our new system over the weekend, we’re happy to relay that starting today, the blackout period is over. In addition, members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a package one category lower. To submit a request, contact us at https://www.marriott.com/marriott/contact.mi. Select "packages – deals" from the drop down menu."
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
The takeaway here is that there is a way for supervisors to upgrade your legacy package one level up. I think the supervisor I talked to made a mistake and was not supposed to do it, and I did not want him to do it, but the system does allow supervisors to do it.
Fantastic DP.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
I believe you are right. Any certs reissued have to be as new certs (new categories). A supervisor attempted to fix the problem for me but ended up making another mistake. I had an old cat 8 cert before the first agent mistakenly cancelled it (not her intention, she just did not know how the system worked). The supervisor reissued a new cat 6 certificate by mistake when it probably should have been a new cat 5. This would be fine except the system charged me an extra 30k points to make it happen which the supervisor evidently did not realize. So now they have basically upgraded my old cat 8 plus 30k points to an old cat 9 which maps to a new cat 6. Unfortunately I have no use for a new cat 6. I want a new cat 5 plus 30k refund instead of a 30k upgrade to a new cat 6 which I have no use for. If they gave me a new cat 7 I could use that but I am pretty sure that is not happening. So, it is going to take another hour on the phone to try and fix it again.

The takeaway here is that there is a way for supervisors to upgrade your legacy package one level up. I think the supervisor I talked to made a mistake and was not supposed to do it, and I did not want him to do it, but the system does allow supervisors to do it.
It's ironic that you received an unwanted upgrade to a Cat 6 for 30K and I tried unsuccessfully to do the same.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, TK Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premiere, IHG Ambas
Originally Posted by chongl
Via which number or channel? Struggling to find anyone who can do this, need to make some new bookings outside the new mapping for my cert.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by TopGunner
Via which number or channel? Struggling to find anyone who can do this, need to make some new bookings outside the new mapping for my cert.
Platinum Line from the app (866-576-5696). Person I talked to said they were more in customer service and not in rewards or reservations.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I strongly suggest you guys who are struggling to also follow the comment section on Lucky's article Scroll down the comment section to see the latest DPs.

https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...omment-3996510

Marriott has responded to people who followed the instruction to get refund by NO REFUND etc etc.

Here is the blog piece which essentially conveyed the same crap as the Marriott Insider post on Aug 20th after 5pm on FT.

People followed the steps to request refunds and so far no one has gotten a positive reply!

The latest comments are quite troublesome if that is still the "company lines" fed to the agents or their social media team (those folks who replied the Contact link)
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by rny321
It's ironic, but not funny, that you received an unwanted upgrade to a Cat 6 for 30K and I tried unsuccessfully to do the same.
I received it though a roundabout route of multiple errors on the part of Marriott. It may be very difficult to get this to happen otherwise.

First, original legacy cert mistakenly lost when uninformed agent cancelled the reservation it was attached to and did not (could not) put the cert back into my account. Instead I ended up with a cancelled cert and a refund of 135k points for the OC8 cert.

Second, supervisor mistakenly reissued in the wrong new category 6 which is one higher than it should have been and the system charged me 30k extra points for the new cat 6 (on top of the 135k points from the cancellation of the original OC8 cert) with the end result being I have an upgrade from an OC8 to an OC9 (new cat 5 to a new cat 6) for 30k additional points which would be great if I could use it but since I will be booking a NC5 Starwood property I would prefer a NC5 plus 30k points refund.
tonywush and rny321 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:16 pm

I believe you are right. Any certs reissued have to be as new certs (new categories). A supervisor attempted to fix the problem for me but ended up making another mistake. I had an old cat 8 cert before the first agent mistakenly cancelled it (not her intention, she just did not know how the system worked). The supervisor reissued a new cat 6 certificate by mistake when it probably should have been a new cat 5. This would be fine except the system charged me an extra 30k points to make it happen which the supervisor evidently did not realize. So now they have basically upgraded my old cat 8 plus 30k points to an old cat 9 which maps to a new cat 6. Unfortunately I have no use for a new cat 6. I want a new cat 5 plus 30k refund instead of a 30k upgrade to a new cat 6 which I have no use for. If they gave me a new cat 7 I could use that but I am pretty sure that is not happening. So, it is going to take another hour on the phone to try and fix it again.
If I've followed you correctly, you received 135k points, but managed to talk directly to a supervisor to issue you a partial package under the new chart? (minus the 30K incremental which is the premium based on the old chart). Did you ask to speak to one directly, or was there a regular agent as an intermediary?

Might be hope for me yet trying to get a straight Old 5 to new 4
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I blame Marriott for not training their agents properly. The first agent was just wrong and the second agent only knew how it worked from first hand experience not instruction from Marriott.

So at the end, what kind of the cert you ended up getting? Can you see the description of the cert online? Did you receive an email confirmation on the cancellation / re-ordering pair? You should at least get the confirmation email on the new cert that the system charged you an additional 30K.

Could you kindly posted information regarding above? This would help many who are still struggling in the dark. Many thanks.
tonywush likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I received it though a roundabout route of multiple errors on the part of Marriott. It may be very difficult to get this to happen otherwise.

First, original legacy cert mistakenly lost when uninformed agent cancelled the reservation it was attached to and did not (could not) put the cert back into my account. Instead I ended up with a cancelled cert and a refund of 135k points for the OC8 cert.

Second, supervisor mistakenly reissued in the wrong new category 6 which is one higher than it should have been and the system charged me 30k extra points for the new cat 6 (on top of the 135k points from the cancellation of the original OC8 cert) with the end result being I have an upgrade from an OC8 to an OC9 (new cat 5 to a new cat 6) for 30k additional points which would be great if I could use it but since I will be booking a NC5 Starwood property I would prefer a NC5 plus 30k points refund.
I agree it would be really hard to make it happened again because had it not for the supervisor error on the reordering, you would be getting the NC5 instead of the NC6 with an additional 30K.

I was told my NC4 (at 75K value) would require 60K to become a NC5, being 135K - 75K = 60K.

If I understand the math correctly, Had the supervisor not made the mistake, you would get back 30K refund and a NC5. But now you are paying essentially 30K + 30K (the refund) to result to a NC6? Does this make sense, that the "upgrade" actually cost 60K in total, not just the additional 30K because the other 30K is coming out from the possible 30K refund had it be a NC5 (OC7) ?

I wonder how much is the cost for a Partial NC6?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Folks, this is the latest DPs reported in the comment section of Lucky's blog on the TP treatment.

Indeed Marrriot has NOT communicated the latest company line to the front line reps or its social media team that handles inquiries (the link we are told to request refund is to this team)

The information provided by Lucky the blogger, is the same as the information Marriott Insider posted on FT yesterday Aug 20th after 5pm. Almost 24 hours passed, it seems nobody at Marriott customer service dept has received the memo yet, let alone any training to do the "right thing". Pathetic.

Elil
says:August 21, 2018 at 3:25pm
@lucky

The information provided to you is incorrect. As stated by multiple folks above, Marriott responded to my request stating that “After further reviewing your account, I see that your certificate is not attached to your reservation.Any certificates that were not attached to reservations prior to August 17, 2018 will not be honored. There will be no adjustment of points for the category changes, and you will need to book at the points rate for the new category. There will be a month long black out period ending mid September, where you will be unable to access your certificates. Once access to use them are restored, guests will have the ability to book reservations through http://www.marriott.com”Not only are they not reimbursing the points, the information provided that you can use the certificates as of yesterday is also incorrect. The E-mail clearly restates the blackout period until mid September. Marriott’s statement to you is either deliberately false or has just been communicated to the bloggers yet awaiting communication to their own CS department. Please do update your post accordingly
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.

I understood what happened which is why I have no interest in taking the risk that someone could achieve the same result on my behalf. In any case, knowing that there is a solution to a mistakenly cancelled certificate will (unfortunately) probably help others.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by chongl
Was your cert attached or unattached? What number did you call? I have one unattached and want the full refund as well.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Folks, this is the latest DPs reported in the comment section of Lucky's blog on the TP treatment.

Indeed Marrriot has NOT communicated the latest company line to the front line reps or its social media team that handles inquiries (the link we are told to request refund is to this team)

The information provided by Lucky the blogger, is the same as the information Marriott Insider posted on FT yesterday Aug 20th after 5pm. Almost 24 hours passed, it seems nobody at Marriott customer service dept has received the memo yet, let alone any training to do the "right thing". Pathetic.

Elil
says:August 21, 2018 at 3:25pm
@lucky

The information provided to you is incorrect. As stated by multiple folks above, Marriott responded to my request stating that “After further reviewing your account, I see that your certificate is not attached to your reservation.Any certificates that were not attached to reservations prior to August 17, 2018 will not be honored. There will be no adjustment of points for the category changes, and you will need to book at the points rate for the new category. There will be a month long black out period ending mid September, where you will be unable to access your certificates. Once access to use them are restored, guests will have the ability to book reservations through http://www.marriott.com”Not only are they not reimbursing the points, the information provided that you can use the certificates as of yesterday is also incorrect. The E-mail clearly restates the blackout period until mid September. Marriott’s statement to you is either deliberately false or has just been communicated to the bloggers yet awaiting communication to their own CS department. Please do update your post accordingly
For a company with a 43B cap these guys sure seem like morons. I understand this post is in no way helpful and yet stand by it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.