FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott Travel Packages (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1403715-marriott-travel-packages.html)

BigLar May 20, 2005 11:01 pm

Hertz - the other part of the travel package

Ordered a travel package earlier this week. Got the miles posted and the stay certificate.

When I got home, there was the remainder -- a nice certificate for 25% off my next Hertz rental for up to 8 days.

Anybody ever use this? It seems I could get a better deal other ways, or even Priceline should be able to beat that by a wide margin, according to BFT.

So, again, is this worth much?

NJUPINTHEAIR May 21, 2005 12:33 am

Originally Posted by BigLar
Ordered a travel package earlier this week. Got the miles posted and the stay certificate.

When I got home, there was the remainder -- a nice certificate for 25% off my next Hertz rental for up to 8 days.

Anybody ever use this? It seems I could get a better deal other ways, or even Priceline should be able to beat that by a wide margin, according to BFT.

So, again, is this worth much?

I am using mine for a rental for a week in Italy. As I need an automatic, there are not many companies that can accomodate my needs -- Hertz can, and the 25% discount is quite welcome.

With regard to PLN, I am of the opinion that regardless what credit card you use -- even a DC card -- you likely will not be covered if you decline collision damage waiver. That is why I stay away from them.

ohmark May 21, 2005 6:42 am

My experience varies from NJ. I've got two of the Hertz certificates. Checked rates in Florida for this past winter, and France for this fall. In both cases I was able to obtain better rates from Hertz using discounts available on their website, than the rates that came up using the Marriott certificate, and that included an automatic in Nice.

lweverett May 21, 2005 10:30 am

Hertz

I tried to use one once. They told me they would have to raise the rate they originally quoted me as a "walk-on" and then apply the discount. The result was a higher price than the original quote. I just theow them away.

NJUPINTHEAIR May 21, 2005 11:43 am

Originally Posted by ohmark
My experience varies from NJ. I've got two of the Hertz certificates. Checked rates in Florida for this past winter, and France for this fall. In both cases I was able to obtain better rates from Hertz using discounts available on their website, than the rates that came up using the Marriott certificate, and that included an automatic in Nice.

Ohmark, it may have to do with Italy and their very high theft and insurance rates. With Hertz, you can decline the CDW as it is not bundled with the other rates and therefore, I can use the DC (perhaps) or a Visa or MC, as neither have an exclusion for Italy rentals.

By the way, I have been looking at rental for my father-in-law as he is going to Nice next week and I came across this website from AMEX and National Car rental. For what he wanted -- a manual convertible -- the rates were less than anywhere else that I could find, moreover, it included full insurance and VAT and airport tax charges, as well.

It might suit your needs better, if their price is better:

http://www.nationalcar.com/directlin...ex_amex_uk.jsp

Captain Mike May 21, 2005 8:54 pm

Absolutely useless

My experience has been that the Hertz certificates are totally useless. I have gotten much better rates through the years from Avis, often without using any coupon at all. This applies to both domestic and international rentals. I don't even include Hertz in my price comparisons any more!

andrea t Aug 25, 2005 7:31 pm

Redeeming hotel portion of travel pck.

I recently redeemed points for a 086 travel package. The miles were promptly transferred to my FF acount but I was not ready to make a hotel reservation. Now I want to reserve a room. When I try online, availability comes up but shows it costs 195,000 points. I have no certificate in hand...I was told the award is on file. If I book online will they know I have it on file or will they withdraw 195,000 more points from my account? Do I need to call and make the reservation? Thank you.

UpgradeMe Aug 25, 2005 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by andrea t
If I book online will they know I have it on file

Only if you check the "I already have my reward certificate" box.

aaupgrade Aug 25, 2005 8:24 pm

As was indicated to you, the hotel portion of your 086 travel package award is on file and yes, you will need to call to use it. If you book online they will take points out of your MR account unless you check the "I already have my reward certificate" box, then they will not take the points out of your MR account, BUT you will still need to call a MR CSR to use the hotel portion of your saved 086 award.

Now, the bad news. The hotel portion of the 086 award is a 7-night Standard award at a category 6 property; which, if booked separately would be 130,000 MR points. The 195,000 MR point award you referred to in your post is a 7-night Stay Anytime award at a category 6 hotel. Standard awards are capacity controlled, and are subject to blackout dates; whereas Stay Anytime awards are not, but you pay a 50% premium in points over a Standard award for that privilege. Note that a room must be available, as this is not a room guarantee. If the hotel is sold out you will not be able to get a Stay Anytime award either.

If these are the only dates you want, then perhaps a MR CSR can see if you can use your 086 hotel award portion along with the additional 65000 points required for the Stay Anytime award. Otherwise I would look for other properties or other dates for your trip.

More bad news, if you decide not to use the hotel portion of the 086 award and ask to have the points refunded, you will incur a large penalty due to the good airline mileage exchange rate associated with the 086 travel package. Instead of getting 130000 points back as you would when refunding a 7-night Standard category 6 award, you will only get back 50000 points.

The good news is you got a great exchange of MR points for airline miles. These packages are one of the best things going at MR.

As a side note: for future reference, at popular properties during popular times like the Vail Marriott Mountain Resort and Spa during the ski season, or Hawaiian properties during the summer or mid-winter months; in order to obtain Standard awards at these properties you may need to book as much as 11 months in advance.

All the best in making your arrangements.

andrea t Aug 26, 2005 8:07 pm

I did not see the box you indicated but was able to make the needed reservation via phone. Thank you for the help.

indyscott Sep 9, 2005 10:23 am

Travel Package Redemption w/Southwest

Long time reader, first time poster.

I checked the search and could find nothing on this subject:

If you redeem for a MR travel package (for example the 250,000 point package w/7 night category 6 and 80 Southwest Rapid Rewards credits) do the Rapid Rewards credits count towards a SWA Companion Pass (100 RR credits earned in 1 year)? 100 credits is too much for me to get in 1 year, but 20 on top of the 80 would be very reasonable.

Thanks!

beerman Sep 9, 2005 11:18 am

Originally Posted by indyscott
Long time reader, first time poster.

I checked the search and could find nothing on this subject:

If you redeem for a MR travel package (for example the 250,000 point package w/7 night category 6 and 80 Southwest Rapid Rewards credits) do the Rapid Rewards credits count towards a SWA Companion Pass (100 RR credits earned in 1 year)? 100 credits is too much for me to get in 1 year, but 20 on top of the 80 would be very reasonable.

Thanks!

You would earn 5 Rapid Rewards tickets for this and unless there is some unusual restriction (call Southwest to verify before redeeming) all these credits should count toward the Companion Pass. I redeemed Hyatt points a while ago for 25 Southwest credits and they were what allowed me to earn my Companion Pass (just in time before a bunch of credits became more than a year old and would have no longer counted toward the pass).

Mama Sep 16, 2005 1:37 pm

Marriott travel package reward queation

If you use Marriott points for "Hotel, Air & Car Package reward". The hotel is a 7-night reward. Can it be split into two different hotels, or does it have to be all in one hotel?
Thanks.

UpgradeMe Sep 16, 2005 1:44 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...t=split+reward

Chewie Jun 5, 2006 6:10 am

Hotel + Air Package. Fly now, stay later?

I'm just curious if anyone has been able to do this:

I am cashing in 2 Travel packages (reward code 083) for our honeymoon (2 weeks stay + 240K miles).

I would like to get an additional 120K miles, but that would normally cost me 250,000 points (using two 566 reward codes) and I would only 100K miles.

So, if I decide to redeem another Travel package (083/087/091) and this would get me another 120K miles. The miles would get added to my airline of choice.

Could I save the 7 hotel nights for another day? I figure I would get more air miles for less points and basically get 7 nights at any category hotel (If I choose that package) as an added bonus.

Thanks!