Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:10 am

Sanity check please - we've bought our Cat 9 specifically for JW Marriott Hong Kong, now my TP is a Cat 6 and JW has also been downgraded to Cat 6 so we've haven't lost any value/utility?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by mini2
Sanity check please - we've bought our Cat 9 specifically for JW Marriott Hong Kong, now my TP is a Cat 6 and JW has also been downgraded to Cat 6 so we've haven't lost any value/utility?
Correct!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
If Marriott wishes to use next year's peak pricing to value the converted certificate, then they need to be honest about screwing over people with tier 4-5 certs, as those certs will no longer be able to redeem for top tier properties come next year, despite costing a staggering 540k points. Basically you get 2 and a half months to attach it, or you're screwed.

Marriott completely bungled this transition for people who got cat 6, cat 8, tier 1-3 and tier 4-5, all for what? To save on a one time only expense, but draw the ire of so many Marriott/SPG/RC Elites. How is this worthwhile for them?

Marriott needs to wise up and just be generous with their members, and chalk up the cost as a one time good will gesture or cost of merging programs. Start the new program on the right foot.
jrm68 and davidsc111 like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:37 am

Any word on extending it for another year from current expiration date?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I know that emotions are running high right now, but I am genuinely curious how this specific Travel Package devaluation stacks against the big picture of the Marriott/SPG merger.

Obviously the TP outcome was bad for those expecting a better outcome, but on the whole, is it really that bad? I haven't been keeping up as I burned through my points last year with a TP and I have yet to decide whether Hilton would be better (benefits and redemption value wise).

So, in all fairness, is this the worst thing that happened from the merger? I don't suspect the TP was of major value to most Marriott members (except for those that had a ton of points to convert in the first place or trying to find maximum ROI on their Marriott points).
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I know that emotions are running high right now, but I am genuinely curious how this specific Travel Package devaluation stacks against the big picture of the Marriott/SPG merger.

Obviously the TP outcome was bad for those expecting a better outcome, but on the whole, is it really that bad? I haven't been keeping up as I burned through my points last year with a TP and I have yet to decide whether Hilton would be better (benefits and redemption value wise).

So, in all fairness, is this the worst thing that happened from the merger? I don't suspect the TP was of major value to most Marriott members (except for those that had a ton of points to convert in the first place or trying to find maximum ROI on their Marriott points).
It can be characterized as rather brutal for a loyalty program owner/operator to beat up on its biggest collector of points-earning customers. Is this more brutal against customers than the situation where Marriott initially messed over those who eventually got lifetime elite status upgrades after making a stink? I wouldn’t be surprised if it is.

Marriott seems to be playing out of the Delta SkyMiles playbook.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:34 am

But we can't book off peak Category 5 with a Category 1-4 certificate.

Originally Posted by crimsona
Starting January next year you can book peak category 5, which would be 40k. At least, that's their argument
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by zachary
This is just brilliant. Here's the translation of the internal Marriott meeting where they decided on the strategy:

"Let's keep getting people to pay 30,000 more points to go from category 1-5 to 6 and from 7 to 8 even though we know that they actually get nothing for those 30,000 points. Then, when they get upset about that, we'll tell them that they should be happy, because as badly as we treated them by knowingly taking 30,000 points from them for nothing, we could have treated them even worse."

If you do work for Marriott (which I sincerely doubt), you should tell your bosses that it's not working.

One other thing: you keep talking about being told to attach to maximize value. But that advice came from Starwood Lurker in a post where he said that floaters would be converted to points. 99.9% of SPG/MR members never saw that because they've never heard of FT or Starwood Lurker. And even the 0.1% who did see if later learned that the entire post turned out to be wrong -- they decided not to turn floaters into points. The only email that they tried (and failed) to send to everyone did not say that you had to attach to maximize value. IMHO, that excuse doesn't fly.

And I don't think it's at all unreasonable to think a certificate with a maximum value of 30,000 would be converted to one worth 35,000 where they chose to have no 30,000 point properties in 2018. It was either 25,000 or 35,000. They choose to stick it to their customers rather than absorb the cost themselves. I think a good company does the opposite.
Really bad news for me.

My boyfriend and I booked 27 category 6 packages for our wedding. The hotel is now category 5 and our certs are worthless.

I opened a Facebook page calling Marriott out.

Share if you agree Marriott just defrauded their customers
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by zozeppelin
Agree on #2 .

For #1 , in my opinion it was a hotel coverage numbers game. They picked a threshold of old hotels covered in new cert, and aligned accordingly. The numbers below are for the old to new hotel coverage for n-1, n and n+1 new cats where n is the converted new cat.

Cat5 ->4 38% 99% 100%
Cat6->4, 2% 71% 99%
Cat7->5, 18% 98% 100%
Cat8->5, 0% 70% 99%
Cat9->6, 2% 76% 99%
T3->6 0% 82% 100%
T5->7 0% 21% 100%

Looks like the threshold was about 70%, but it falls off a cliff at n-1 which probably drove it more than anything. I know people are upset about paying 30k more than they had to for the same result, but the real loss was the ~30% hotel coverage. Even Cat9 people lost here. This essentially is a devaluation, which is fine, but should have been announced or avoided by mapping to a higher hotel coverage. Neither happened.
The problem is that you're mixing two different things: the old travel packages being converted into new travel packages, and hotels changing categories. While they did happen on the same day, they are still two independent and different events.

People are upset that their travel package can't be used on certain properties when a few days ago it could, but the issue here isn't that they got screwed in the travel package conversion, the problem is that some properties increased in price. But that is completely unrelated to travel packages... think about it this way: if instead of a travel package you were planning on booking using points, you would need more points to book those properties today than you did a few days ago.

Some will argue that because they bought the travel package before the category changed then they should be able to use it at the same properties regardless of what the new categories are. But that's flawed logic and it has never worked that way: at least once a year there is a round of category updates and the only way to lock in the old price is to make a reservation before the changes take effect. It's always been that way.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by mk712
The problem is that you're mixing two different things: the old travel packages being converted into new travel packages, and hotels changing categories. While they did happen on the same day, they are still two independent and different events.

People are upset that their travel package can't be used on certain properties when a few days ago it could, but the issue here isn't that they got screwed in the travel package conversion, the problem is that some properties increased in price. But that is completely unrelated to travel packages... think about it this way: if instead of a travel package you were planning on booking using points, you would need more points to book those properties today than you did a few days ago.

Some will argue that because they bought the travel package before the category changed then they should be able to use it at the same properties regardless of what the new categories are. But that's flawed logic and it has never worked that way: at least once a year there is a round of category updates and the only way to lock in the old price is to make a reservation before the changes take effect. It's always been that way.

The logic of prices going up is flawed. the certificates stated (some people even have paper certs sent to them) that this cert is good for any hotel up to category 6.
How can they replace a paper certificate or gift voucher for something of lesser value.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Michelle AnLee Schweitzer
Really bad news for me.

My boyfriend and I booked 27 category 6 packages for our wedding. The hotel is now category 5 and our certs are worthless.

You should consider doing more than just that and try to make it even more of Marriott’s problem by engaging in a PR+ campaign to get this fixed by hitting up travel news writers for major publications.

“Marrirot ruins destination wedding and honeymoon plans for its biggest point collectors” is the kind of headline that grabs attention.
gregorygrady and MasterGeek like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:29 am

The logic of prices going up is flawed. the certificates stated (some people even have paper certs sent to them) that this cert is good for any hotel up to category 6.
How can they replace a paper certificate or gift voucher for something of lesser value.
The certificate does not have "a lesser value", in terms of points it has the same value as it did before. Your problem is that the rate for the specific property you were interested in went up, but this is completely unrelated to your certificate and would have affected you even if you were planning on using points rather than a certificate.

This exact scenario literally happens every year and everyone knows the rules. For example, if you had bought a category 5 certificate in February 2018, and the property you were eyeing went up to category 6 during the March 2018 category update, you would not be able to use your certificate at that property anymore unless you had booked before the category change went into effect to lock in the old rate. Category changes are always announced ahead of time to give people time to book at the old rate and this was no exception.

Going back to your case, if you compare the point value of your certificate with the cost of the property that you're interested in, it's easy to see why this doesn't work:
- The certificate you bought (old category 6) was worth 30k points per night.
- The property you want to book now (new category 5) is worth 35k points per night.
Why you would expect this to be possible is beyond me.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:12 am

Really bad news for me.

I understand that this leaves a bitter taste. It must feel horrible.
While I don't know your exact plans you had with these certificates, just a few points to note:
- If you were planning on redeeming all 27 certs at the same time at the same property this may have been difficult.
- Even if you were planning on an extended stay at this property, it may have been difficult to secure that many consecutive nights for rewards redemptions.

In order to avoid any such unwanted occurrence one could have reserved the room(s) at the property in question and then attach the certificates later. This way you can secure the availability and also the old awards category. Hindsight is 20/20, but since you have so many unused certificates now, you may well try and max the value out of those.

BTW: Congrats on being able to spend 8.1m MR-points many people will never earn that many in a lifetime. And: you still have the airline miles to live it up in the sky.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by funkbandit
In order to avoid any such unwanted occurrence one could have reserved the room(s) at the property in question and then attach the certificates later. This way you can secure the availability and also the old awards category. Hindsight is 20/20, but since you have so many unused certificates now, you may well try and max the value out of those.
That won't work because she now has a Cat 4 certificate and needs a Cat 5. She would have needed to attach all 27 of the certificates by 8/17 for this to work. I believe she tried to attach the certificates but had a problem due to the need to put guests names on the reservation. Unfortunately, she believed the employee(s) that told her she could finish the process later. Now she is stuck because MPG won't let her use points to upgrade the certificates and the company isn't planning to allow extensions.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:49 am

Angry

I think it's Marriott's decision for the conversion. But it can do it better, either:

- Publish the conversion chart before Aug 18
- or, allow certificates upgrade/downgrade after Aug 18

I got my tier 1-3, hoping get cat 7. I know I am gambling. But either of the thing happens above, I would still be happy to get what I need for my 7 night stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.