Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:57 pm
Suspended

I'm told there is going to be an article put out on Medium within the next 24 hours. It's going to completely obliterate Marriott.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I have no skin in this game as I bought primarily Cat 1-5 certs, but I fully understand why people are upset. I'm surprised no one has brought this up yet, but what would have happened if Marriott had mapped the certs as follows?

Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 5
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 6
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 7
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7

You'd have really unhappy people at the Cat 7, 9 and Tier 4-5 levels! There is no way to win at this unless they allow people to downgrade their certs and get a refund on points.

Sorry to the people who feel ripped off, but I have a feeling that Marriott will come through for you and make things right again.
With all the backlash I'm actually baffled as to why they didn't just do point refunds or point-based certs like the credit card certs. Would have probably avoided anyone feeling cheated. Maybe the IT difficulty wasn't worth it for a one time solution, but they obviously have a mechanism to do so since all the one night certs work on this principle.
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Let's just all remember this:

"Floater certificates, including outstanding Marriott Travel Package certificates, will be cancelled and converted to equivalent points, credited to the member’s account for future redemption. <added clarity by Starwood Lurker 21Jun18>"

This entire feeding frenzy was touched off by an official Starwood/Marriott representative posting an official position of the corporation that turned out to be a complete lie.
Next up, people with 2MM MR points & 750 MR+SPG nights won't actually get LTPP?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G

"Floater certificates, including outstanding Marriott Travel Package certificates, will be cancelled and converted to equivalent points, credited to the member’s account for future redemption. <added clarity by Starwood Lurker 21Jun18>"

This entire feeding frenzy was touched off by an official Starwood/Marriott representative posting an official position of the corporation that turned out to be a complete lie.
A lie implies that he knew what he was saying was wrong and he posted wrong info purposely to mislead.

That's quite a grave accusation to make of someone who's been a valuable member of this forum and who was not at all involved in the decision making.

More likely, he gave whatever preliminary/working information he had at the time. It's completely possible that when he made that comment, that WAS what Marriott was planning to do and it changed afterwards.

Hold your rage horses.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
So, if this is actually true we may actually see some legal activity on the TPs:

https://www.facebook.com/Marriottrewardfraud/
I am an aggrieved party, in possession of both an old Cat 6 and an old Cat 8, however I couldn't go past the melodramatic statement on that page that their TP was now worthless. That kind of over-the-top assignation is counterproductive to anyone's cause.

Yes, I would certainly like 60K pts back for what turned out was overpayment for goods (when Marriott had full knowledge of this ahead of time) but this crazy spouting of overly dramatic style is going make Marriott tone deaf. Rational discourse might work in our favor, that crazy talk surely won't
cruisr and JustinTJ like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
A lie implies that he knew what he was saying was wrong and he posted wrong info purposely to mislead.

That's quite a grave accusation to make of someone who's been a valuable member of this forum and who was not at all involved in the decision making.

More likely, he gave whatever preliminary/working information he had at the time. It's completely possible that when he made that comment, that WAS what Marriott was planning to do and it changed afterwards.

Hold your rage horses.
The corporation was responsible for the lie, not the messenger. But it is undoubtedly true that post is what led many people astray.
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90

Hold your rage horses.
I believe the poster does not mean William lied, but it is Marriott itself that lies. We should all know that William is instructed to tell us whatever the "Loyalty Team" gave the information to tell - he is nothing but a Messenger who is fed with DECEIVING information to convey to us.

Come to think about it, there is NO OTHER BIG CORPORATION in this country has chosen such a way to communicate to its major customers via such an indirect way with such peculiar medium. I cannot think of any. The whole thing from the beginning smelled Rats to me, that it was a fishing expedition to test how to get rid of the most liability (the points on their book that must be carried as liability) with the least cost possible. Everything was so opaque and the information if any, came in drips and pieces, and was via social media team member, from the acquired company no less. Have any company in this country has had such way to handle a merger?

I understand Marriott has its shareholders to answer, but there should still be certain corporate responsibility and ethic standards to adhere... Unfortunately so far all we see is deceiving from the very beginning. I am not sure how the actions so far would be judged by the religious teaching of the corporate founders' faith but that is way off topic.
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I am an aggrieved party, in possession of both an old Cat 6 and an old Cat 8, however I couldn't go past the melodramatic statement on that page that their TP was now worthless. That kind of over-the-top assignation is counterproductive to anyone's cause.

Yes, I would certainly like 60K pts back for what turned out was overpayment for goods (when Marriott had full knowledge of this ahead of time) but this crazy spouting of overly dramatic style is going make Marriott tone deaf. Rational discourse might work in our favor, that crazy talk surely won't
My point would be that is a large enough potential loss that it passes the threshold of actually prompting legal action. People screwed out of two or three hundred bucks on a single TP don't have a credible loss to sue over. A five figure loss is something else entirely.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist

Yea, William said that the Chase free night certs would be converted to points, and the Travel package 7-night certs would convert similarly (to points). Up until 8/15, when Lurker IV posted, my understanding was that our Travel package certs were converting to points. Then Lurker IV said our 7-night certs would convert to equivalent categories. How come my old Cat 8 cert (valid for 40k per night) is now valid only for 35k per night?

What a mess..
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:36 am

Starting January next year you can book peak category 5, which would be 40k. At least, that's their argument
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Originally Posted by crimsona
Starting January next year you can book peak category 5, which would be 40k. At least, that's their argument
Whatever that means. All I know is that I can't even use my certificate for the next 30 days!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:46 am

Not releasing the new cert map was either massive incompetence, or they knew they would sell a lot of them after putting out the new hotel+airfare award numbers and waited until the data was in on sales and then published the new cert map chart with decisions made on what would limit their cost. Suspect business practice and the least, and real dumb customer loyalty play at the best.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
That is an insanely dishonest argument, tho marriott is welcome to make that argument. I think marriott is likely within their legal right according to the T&C but they screwed over a lot of people and no matter how they try and spin it those people objectively got screwed over and are subjectively very upset.

30K points does not even begin to make those people whole, as many have pointed out the biggest issue is the large % of hotels no longer available in each category, all the best ones for each category and without any notice.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by catharsis
I purchased SPG points over past few months because I realised that my existing cat-15 certs were not sufficient for my needs as the ongoing devaluation meant that cat1-5 certs are effectively worthless. I upgraded 3 cat1-5 packages to cat 1-6 packages, with explicitly purchased points (i.e. with a very clear dollar value cost to me).
This direct points.com/SPG spend was now 100% wasted. I feel like I have had that money fraudulently taken from me. it is NOT correct to say no-one loses. I spent money to upgrade something which has now been downgraded directly and precisely back where I started before I spent the money.

This is a loss, and no amount of marketing speak can make this statement not true.
I'm in a very similar boat. I spent 60k pts to upgrade TWO Cat 1-5 packages up to Cat 6. And I spent an EXTRA 30k (300k total) to buy a 3rd Cat 6 TP. All this the day before yesterday. And then less than 24 hours later I find that all the extra 90k pts I spent seem to have been a COMPLETE WASTE as like you I am EXACTLY BACK WHERE I STARTED before I lit on fire those 90k pts. I am VERY disappointed in Marriott's handling of this. At a VERY minimum they should have already posted a statement offering 30k refunds for those who booked Cat 6 & 8 TPs. Probably they also should have offered us a one-time chance to upgrade our packages. I am already Lifetime Gold, but I don't think I will be staying much more with Marriott after this fiasco.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:08 am

FWIW, I don't think it's a bad idea at all for people who got stiffed (Cat 6 and Cat 8 TP holders) to file complaints with the appropriate consumer protection agencies (Attorney General's Office, BBB, etc, although I don't think filing with CFPB is really relevent here as somebody mentioned above). I will give them 4 days, and if they haven't at the VERY least offered Cat 6 & 8 TP holders 30k refunds, I will certainly file some complaints on Friday. The more complaints they get, the more likely they are to fix this mess they created.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.