Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Quite baffled that Marriott think it is somehow appropriate to map multiple old certs onto the same new one without reimbursing the unnecessary extra that customers paid.

Also find it difficult that the hotel cat mapping (eg old 6 to new 5) wasn't applied to the vouchers too.

For those saying folks should just have attached to a redemption - that only applied to Marriott properties, in many locations there is only an SPG option!
​​
skimthetrees likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by chongl
This all could have been avoided if they had just published the information that they already had in their pocket. Now they have tons of angry customers because they thought withholding information was the right way to go. What kind of morons ever thought this was a good idea? "Let's make sure our best customers who are obviously loyal to the brand due to their large point balances have no way to anticipate it when we pull the rug out..."
This sums it up perfectly. I do believe they must be outrageously ignorant for this bizarre withholding of information to occur, as I’d like to think no company would do this out of spite.

Also, a marriott platinum rep told me, over and over, that I would be able to upgrade or downgrade like usual after the merger. Now, I knew that wasn’t true because I read some blogs. What about those that didn’t read blogs, ie normal customers that trust what customer service reps tell them to be accurate rather than blogs and forums?
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by Happy
So that is the reasons why no downgrade or upgrade allowed after Aug 18?

HOW SLEAZY Marriott has become.

I understand it does not want to let the bloggers fanned speculation got paid off, but in doing such conversion and not allowing downgrade for those holding the ESSENTIALLY BEING DOWNGRADED INVOLUNTARILY Cat 6 owner to get back the 30K over payment is not the right way to keep people whole.

THIS.IS.NOT.RIGHT.
Bought 3 cat 6 travel package thinking most decent hotels are at least a cat 6 prior to the conversions. Now that it is valid for the new cat 4, I feel short changed. I do hope Marriott can refund the difference and give us the option to upgrade. That would be fair IMHO.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SP03

Totally agree about the blog frenzy. I was so tempted to get one after reading through all the blogs. Ultimately decided against it because I have plenty of miles and would rather have the points to book hotels in the combined program. Maybe I could’ve made out big with the Cat 9 certs. But i wouldn’t have known and prob wouldn’t ended up with 7 nights in Cat 1-4 that I don’t really want to stay at. So in the end, I didn’t gamble so no win here. Or loss.

But I don’t really understand the anger. People here decided to take on the gamble knowing that it’s completrly up to Marriott to map these categories. Marriott never promised to make these certs MORE valuable after the transition. Having been on the mileage train for years, I expect devaluation over time and with each transition.
The MAJOR unfairness is Marriott is using PEAK pricing on the conversion table when peak pricing is not even in effect until early 2019. Those who intend to use their certs THIS YEAR could have spent 30K LESS for their hotels if Marriott is forthcoming in its communication to their members.
The whole handling has one goal in mind - to create the most breakage and to reduce as much as possible the liability of carrying the redemption value, at the least cost possible, regardless how the members are screwed now that we have so many properties, many would have no choice but still stay at our properties. This is it.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
No more loyalty to Marriott. To take revenge at Marriott, I will complain about slightest thing during my future award certificate stays and demand compensation in the form of refund or points.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:07 pm

Some observations of implications beyond the cat mapping:
1) Floaters become the same as new TP certs - good, simple, no 'peak' blackouts by doing a points based cert or 'standard rates' only cert.
2) Converted certs can book SPG properties - assumed, but good to confirm
3) These new TPs are now bookable and usable immediately, but the converted equivalent certs are blacked out for a month. Attaching a cert if a manual process, and the backend for the new certs must exist if they are bookable and usable as Marriott has communicated. Floater mapping presumably finalized (although not through official communications to affected members). So why the blackout if the instrument, mapping and manual reservation process are effectively all in place? Block all the aspiration SPG properties while others swoop them up? Provide time to assess the blowback and change course if necessary? Strange in retrospect.

No specific official advanced notice of a devaluation, and the presumably unnecessary blackout are a bad look, very un-Marriott from past precedent. No need for the 'Lurker said X' or 'That's what you get for gambling on a windfall' responses. Marriott's only communication did not insinuate any devaluation, only "conversion". I'm just "still trying to plan that perfect trip".

I'm going to speculate that this isn't over.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
If they do refund 30k then I hope they do for everyone, even those that have certain attached and they decide to later cancel (thereby making them floaters again). Otherwise you are punishing those customers who actually listened to you and attached to a reservation.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:09 pm

I think Marriott has lost a ton of goodwill over their handling of this aspect of the transition. There is no reason why they could not have informed us on how they were going to handle the packages rather than trickle down bits of conflicting and ambiguous information. What is puzzling to me is how the executives in management determined this was in their own best interest? One would think that carefully communicating to those that presumably are their most valued customers would be a priority. Maybe the thought was that since they effectively have such a disproportionate advantage in market share that they could simply get away with this decision because it would affect such a small proportion of their overall customer base. If that were the case, I think that this was short sighted of them. It wouldn't have cost much to be generous to make up for the operational mistakes in failing to communicate effectively - and I think that would have less of an impact on future revenue growth but this is clearly going to be a driver of customer attrition. Even this latest communication is flawed, because if they do go make people whole for their 30k losses, it still will always be remembered for their handling of the situation and at bare minimum lead to less customer engagement.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:10 pm

1. The speculation that Marriott didn't disclose because there would be windfalls to be had turned out to be true.
2. The casual Marriott member who was not looking to how to game the system sees absolutely no loss across the board. None lost value. Some received windfalls.
3. The windfalls were: (i) Old Cat 1-5 (with hotel point value of 150k) being bumped to New Cat 1-4 (with hotel point value of 180k), (ii) Old Cat 7 (210k) to New Cat 5 (240k), (iii) Old Cat 9 (270k) to New Cat 6 (360k), and (iv) T1-3 (300k) to New Cat 6 (360k).
4. The complaints come from people who were looking to maximize value. I think Marriott can live with that. "I paid 300k points for 360k points in value, but someone else paid 270k points to get the same deal." Marriott can legitimately say "We were generous to both of you. The certificate Old Cat 8s were given costs 60k more than the certificate they had. We were more generous to someone else. So what?"
5. To those who do not think it is "fair" to use peak pricing, there is no basis for the complaint. As of today (and as announced for some time), new travel packages are based on peak pricing. Old certificates are being converted to new certificates. The peak pricing is consistently applied.
6. Outrage really shouldn't be directed at Marriott but at bloggers who fueled unreasonable expectations. All the gamblers knew that, as mentioned in point 1, the speculation that turned out to be true was that windfalls were to be had, which explains the timing of the announcement. Had people been on the right side of the gamble, they would have understood the reason for and excused the timing. The speculation that was proved fantasy (and unreasonable, in my opinion, to begin with) was to promote "Old Cat 7 equals New Cat 7" or baseless "C-2" theories.

Has there been any announcement as to how attached certificates for subsequently cancelled reservations will be handled?
yeunganson and mk712 like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:11 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I look forward to Marriott refunding the 30k points I wasted on a Cat 6 cert. Or bumping it up to new Cat 5 so it's useful.

...they would never be so underhanded as to intentionally leave their most loyal customers with such a negative impression, right? Because that would be foolish in the middle of a merger that already has so may people grumbling... and Marriott leadership is not short-sighted, is it? ...........

EDIT: In fact, I personally think the conversion chart is logically fair for the most part, but as so many on FT demonstrate every day, loyalty has an emotional component as well...
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:12 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Glad that I kept all my TPs at 1-5 category. The hotels I have in mind migrated from category 5 to 3 and 4 respectively in the new program, meaning no-loss and no-gain here but 14 nights at my favorite hotels.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
The MAJOR unfairness is Marriott is using PEAK pricing on the conversion table when peak pricing is not even in effect until early 2019. Those who intend to use their certs THIS YEAR could have spent 30K LESS for their hotels if Marriott is forthcoming in its communication to their members.
The whole handling has one goal in mind - to create the most breakage and to reduce as much as possible the liability of carrying the redemption value, at the least cost possible, regardless how the members are screwed now that we have so many properties, many would have no choice but still stay at our properties. This is it.
exactly. i spent 540,000 ___ing points to guarantee I had access to top tier on Thursday. i could have spent substantially less to have the same thing AND... i do NOT have access to top tier come January 1. plans change, stay dates change. i just got marriot-ted. that, and bc they decided to keep all details from us, i was nervous that i'd be screwed with a cat 1-5 purchased a year ago, so i paid 30,000 points yesterday to upgrade it to a cat 6. i even told the platinum rep why i was doing it. marriott (but not necessarily the rep) knew i was lighting 30,000 points on fire- but they're fine with that.

this is our future. us spg people knew from the start. it's like the app and website. marriott thinks they 'marriott way' is the right way even when confronted with overwhelming facts to the contrary. the hubris to throw away a very good spg app that is light years ahead of the marriott app; simply because 'it's marriott. it's better' mentality. you can't even book a room in the app ffs! i can have a room booked within 30 seconds of launching the spg app. same with the desktop sites.

3 levels of platinum where the new criteria to be platinum makes everyone platinum. even if the upgrade verbiage changes back- it's the hilton problem of when everyone is diamond, nobody is. i'd posit that marriott is quite fine with that. they know we have nowhere else to go- and THAT is exactly why they bought starwood. hotels are the new airlines...
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:22 pm

I have one attched for next Jan trip. It was cat 8 and will be cat 6 later. Do I need to worry about it?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by dominick
Anyone have the complete list of new categories? That website provided before seems not to work today.
An alternate source/webpage, or spreadsheet would be fine.
thx.
Here’s the spreadsheet I put together.
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18FzZIgto3Ms8CrV3caJOpuhbMFIiWtcYldO5Uon31ec
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by zach46290
This is a disgrace, do you think after all the backlash marriott will reconsider.

If marriott sticks to this I will do everything in my power to avoid all marriott properties going forward.

Between the outright lies about the suite upgrades to this bait and switch, I really hope they get crushed in earning this upcoming year. The choices we make with our wallets are the best way to show them.
Isn’t devaluing the points and travel packages and increasing point breakage in customer accounts part of the earnings management strategy? Yes, it’s a contribution in its own way for that and to deliver synergistic cost-reductions that Marriott sold to its investors/the financial markets when trying to justify the price it was paying to acquire Starwood.

I am not surprised by this approach by Marriott, dislike it as I do.

Marriott could announce some customer-friendly adjustments, but I’m not holding my breath waitiing for that when it comes to the TPs. Customers are lambs for fleecing or slaughter in the current marketplace, and Marriott is going to do what it can under the market conditions applicable at the time.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 18, 2018 at 7:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.